Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Which Os Version Is Recommended In My Case?

forums forums Monyog Monyog Comments Which Os Version Is Recommended In My Case?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      marcm

Hello,

I'm considering picking up a copy of MONyog. I did download the demo for windows and installed it on my local server and I was able to connect to my live server which runs on Centos. However, I'm curious as to what the recommendation would be in my situation. I develop locally on a WAMP (Windows XP/Apache) setup. But everything I run live is on a remote LAMP (Centos/Apache) setup. I wasn't able to get some of the SSH and other features going right off the bat, although I'm sure I can fix that. But I'm really wondering is if it would make more sense to get a Linux version and just let it do it's thing on the live hosted server. If I were to run it locally, I would think it might even make sense to dedicate a machine to it since it's probably disk I/O hungry.

A little more info. I run two live websites and one has a very steady user base and I have another site coming online soon. They all run on the same VPS at this point in time.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Marc

I guess I should also ask, if I buy it, do I get access to both Windows and Linux versions? Could I switch from Windows to a Linux version? Or would I have to purchase another license?

(meant MONyog not Webyog lol – changed it above )

peterlaursen
      Participant

I think you mean a copy of MONyog. Webyog is a company name – SQLyog and MONyog are products name.

Last question first: After purchase you will be able to download both Windows and Linux versions. If you have licenses for more servers you can install more copies of MONyog (and they may be for  different OS's) you want as long as the total number of servers monitored does not exceed you license. 

MONyog is not CPU-and IO-extensive as long as it runs in the background and if only a few servers are monitored (we know positively that some users are monitoring more than 100 MySQL servers from one MONyog instance).  You would typically collect data in minutes' interval. Load from that is neglible. What may cause more load however is when a user requests some calculation-intensive job. They are mostly:

1) Monitors/Advisors page with history/trends analysis with 'group by' option.

2) Disk Info page if there are thousands of objects (databases and tables) on the server.

3) Also the Dashboard will use some noticable resources if you raise the number of sample points close to max. setting and you have many servers. With a few servers and the default setting (15) for sample points to be displayed in Dashboard this is no problem.

.. but note that due to the AJAX-concept used by MONyog web pages load will only exist as long as the respective page is open in a browser and user request activity from MONyog. When a page is not open the load and activity caused by the page will stop.

One option you could consider is to have 1 MONyog instance on each server + one more instance. The MONyog instances on the MySQL machines could then do the basic monitoring (including alerting) an the '+ one more' instance could be used if you occasionally want to deeper and for features like Processlist, Query Analyzer etc. However I still think that in a production environment you should run the '+ one more' instance on a server machine (ie. not a personal workstation) on you local network. But you can easily use the same machine for MONyog and other (server) programs with your scenario.

marcm

Hey Peter,

Thanks for your response. I went ahead and purchased my first license of MONyog. I will probably run it on my hosted server.

So, let me clarify something with you. Since MONyog is agentless, does this mean that it will only be working when it is opened in a browser window? Will I be able to receive alerts from MONyog if there is a problem with my MySQL server when I don't have MONyog open in a browser window?

Also, I believe I read in a review that the database login data that I provide is stored in SQLite, is this correct? Where exactly on the server will my secure database info and SSH info be stored? What sort of risks are there for this information being compromised?

I'm sure I'll have some more questions as I go but I wanted to say thanks and ask you the above questions before I decide where to install it.

-Marc

peterlaursen
      Participant

MONyog will collect data from MySQL, insert to MONyog's own database and send alerts (if you decided so). This is independent of what happens or what does not happen in browsers. And this takes no significant resources

However display of and calculations on the data, retrieval of processlist and disk info will only happen when it is requested.

marcm

Ok so does that mean it runs as a service or something on startup?

peterlaursen
      Participant

yes .. it runs as a service.

This also means that it runs independent of user logon. If you 'switch user' or 'logout' it will still run. It start with the OS – not with the user login.

You can see the MONyog service in control panel .. administration .. services on Windows (and what similar option you have to view installed and running services on your Linux-distribution).

marcm

Ok, thanks for your help Peter.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.