Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Utf-8 Problem With 5.21 Beta 1 And Mysql 4.1.x

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog BETA Discussions Utf-8 Problem With 5.21 Beta 1 And Mysql 4.1.x

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      ywliu

Hello,

I tried both SQLYog 5.2 and 5.21 beta, this problem persists.

SQLYog deals with UTF-8 well enough on MySQL 5.0 (at least that's what I tested ), but now looks like not on my MySQL 4.1.16.

My table uses UTF-8 character set, and the connection 'names' is UTF-8 too. I set the default character set in Connection Manager of SQLyog to UTF-8 too. But the Chinese text data I input becomes garbage codes (ISO8859-1?), and if I input directly in SQLyog , the characters would become empty if later retrieved back; nothing is really saved into the DB.

I viewed my data with phpMyAdmin and is pretty normal , so this shouldn't be a DB server problem.

My wild guess is : does SQLyog mistakenly think MySQL 4.1 as MySQL 4.0/3.23 ?

peterlaursen
      Participant

Please search a little before asking questions!

This has been answered quite a lot of times before!

This FAQ explains: http://webyog.com/faq/category34.html

Try in the connections manger to choose a chinese non-unicode character set (like 'big5') – and not utf8 – as the character set for the connection. You should be able the display and work with Chinese like that.

However at this very moment coding for Unicode is going on actually! When completed you can have string data using Chinese, Cherokee and Czeck at the same time! This is not possible now. We support languages for which a non-unicode character set in available with MySQL.

To clarify: DATA THEMSELVES can very well be UTF8. If that is the character setting on the server they will also be stored like this, no matter what character set the client uses.

ywliu
      peterlaursen wrote on Dec 5 2006, 11:29 AM:
      Please search a little before asking questions!

This has been answered quite a lot of times before!

Try in the connections manger to choose a chinese non-unicode character set (like 'big5') – and not utf8 – as the character set for the connection. You should be able the display and work with Chinese like that.

Hello,

In fact, I did do my best to read all of the FAQs related to the “problem” on the site, which may not fit in my situation. So I thought this is a bug.

In a word, my table and columns are specified UTF-8, data is UTF-8 (input correctly from other program), connection manager is set to UTF-8, on Chinese Windows XP , the Chinese data shown on screen become garbage, let alone inputting from webyog.

I don't see anything wrong with this kind of intuitive all-UTF8 setting, and it is okay with MySQL 5.0, but not with 4.1.

Setting connection charset in connection manager to Big5 can make data input correctly, but they become Big5, not UTF-8. And BTW, setting connection charset in connection manager to Big5/UTF8/whatever charsets doens't make my UTF-8 data in the table (input correctly from other program) display correctly in webyog with MySQL 4.1 either.

Well..if this is my problem , then never mind… Thanks for you help.

peterlaursen
      Participant
      Quote:
      Setting connection charset in connection manager to Big5 can make data input correctly, but they become Big5, not UTF-8.

NO! The setting in the connections manager only specifies the charset for the connection and the client! How it is stored depends on the server/database/table/column charset setting. The MySQL server changes between the charset used for storage and when communicating with the client. The FAQ explains this.

I agree that that is not very intuitive this way. That was why the FAQ was written!

And we will very soon be able to handle Unicode Internally.

Maybe we should not at all display the UTF8 and UCS2 options in connectio manager – but we won't change now!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.