Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

User Account confusion

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog User Account confusion

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Callahan

Ok, I've just started out with MySQL so you'll have to understand that this may seem like a pretty dumb question. I have everything installed ok and I can hook up to my databases and do what I need to do. I have now reached the part in the book I'm studying which deals with user accounts/permissions. I'm told that root@% with no password is a very bad idea. Makes sense to me so I removed that account. I'm now left with the following (cut down for ease of use – also formatted to make it line up on this post):

Host

User—-password–Select_priv–Insert_priv

localhost–root

Y

Y

localhost

Y

Y

%

N

N

Now I set a password on root@localhost, lets call it access. Now from what I can tell, the second row in the user table is saying any user with no username can gain full access to the databases providing they are logging on from the machine MySQL is instsalled on, (correct me if I'm wrong here). Well I don't want that either, I want 1 user with the username of root and the password of access to have all rights and thats it. So I remove the second row leaving just the following:

Host

User—password–Select_priv–Insert_priv

localhost–root—-access

Y

Y

%

N

N

Now I try to hook up to the database supplying the hostname of: localhost, the username of: root, and the password of: access. I get the following error: “Error no. 1045. Access denied for user: '[email protected]'. (using password: YES)”.

I know it must be something simple but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. Any help therefore would be welcomed!

Thanks.

Callahan

Nevermind, I fixed it! 🙂

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.