Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Truncating Strings In Universe Odbc

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Truncating Strings In Universe Odbc

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      andrewteg
      Participant

I am trying to import some data from a UniVerse database using ODBC and have found it works very well. However, it seems to truncate some of the data at 20 characters.

I am using SQLyog 8.22 the import script indicates SQLyog Job Agent Version 8.18.

I read through the blog and found that this looks to have been fixed in 8.15 (http://www.webyog.com/blog/2009/10/16/sqlyog-8-15-has-been-released/) but I am still getting truncated data.

To further test my ODBC connection, I have created an MS Access database with linked tables and these linked tables show all the description fields and do not truncate any data. But when I run the MySQL import script it truncates the data at 20 characters every time.

Are there any options I should be on the lookout for or any other way I can debug this issue?

Thanks,

Andrew

peterlaursen
      Participant

We had another fix recently with another 'rare' ODBC database.  The ODBC driver returned wrong information about the string length and as a consequence we allocated a too short bugger what resulted in truncation.  We worked around the issue by always allocating 32 KB (I think) for strings with this particular ODBC source. Let us check next week if same fix will work here too. 

Khushboo

Hi,

We are looking into your case, in the mean while can you give us more details:

Quote:
      However, it seems to truncate some of the data at 20 characters.

Can you please tell whether this truncation of data is for a specific data type or for all?

2. Which UniVerse database you are using Ardent Universe Database or IBM Universe Database?

3. Have you tried to import data from UniVerse database to MS Access? Is it also truncating data?

Thanks & Regards,

Khushboo

andrewteg
      Participant
      Quote:
      1. Can you please tell whether this truncation of data is for a specific data type or for all?

It appears to be doing it for varchar and text fields. So far, I have not seen it on numeric values, but my sample data does not have any large numeric values.

Quote:
      2. Which UniVerse database you are using Ardent Universe Database or IBM Universe Database?

I am using “UniVerse Personal Edition for Windows” from http://rocketsoftware.com/u2/downloads/ for my development and testing. This is basically the IBM UniVerse since “Rocket acquired the IBM UniVerse and UniData (U2) product line on October 1, 2009” according to http://www.ibm.com/software/data/u2

Quote:
      3. Have you tried to import data from UniVerse database to MS Access? Is it also truncating data?

Yes and I have imported data to MS Access (using linked tables) and it is not truncating the data.

Quote:
      Thanks & Regards,

Khushboo

Thanks so much, and please let me know if I can do anything to help!

Andrew

navyashree.r

Hi Andrew,

Issue is confirmed. Using this Universe ODBC, data is truncating when we import from Import External Data tool.

Our colleague is looking into this issue. We will update the status once we find the solution.

Thank you for reporting this issue and help us nailing down the problem.

Regards,

Navya

Khushboo

Hi Andrew,

We were able to reproduce this issue in our environment.

For Universe database, ODBC driver is not returning correct string length. So, we found a workaround.

We are checking for all the cases, in the mean time please try this special build 8.23.2 (not release) in your environment and let us know the status.

http://www.webyog.com/downloads/betas/not_released/SQLyog823.2.exe

Note: We have one limitation, while importing if data size is more than 32K, then only 32K data will be imported.

Thank You.

Regards,

Khushboo

andrewteg
      Participant

Thank you for such a quick response!

I have tried the special build 8.23.2 in my local environment and am able to import the full strings through Powertools > Import External Data. This works quite well! It works equally well for me using both MyISAM and InnoDB tables.

When I save the job and run it through the SQLyog Job Agent on the command line such as

Code:
      “C:Program Files (x86)SQLyog Enterprisesja.exe” “C:import.xml”

data is truncating through that. This may be expected since you may have just updated the Import External Data process and not the SJA yet. But I did want to let you know in case this was a surprise to you.

Thanks so much!

Andrew

navyashree.r

Hey Andrew,

Its just a work around. We are still looking for all the cases. Yes, this issue still exists in SJA.exe and not yet coded for SJA.

This fix along with major features, will be available in 8.3 beta expected to release within few days say by next week (Friday).

Thank you & Regards,

Navya

Khushboo

Hi Andrew,

Quote:
      When I save the job and run it through the SQLyog Job Agent on the command line such as

“C:Program Files (x86)SQLyog Enterprisesja.exe” “C:import.xml”

data is truncating through that. This may be expected since you may have just updated the Import External Data process and not the SJA yet.

SQLyog Job Agent(SJA) on the command line must work if Import External Data wizard is working fine as you expected.

We checked your case in SJA on command line and its working fine.

Please check the version of SJA which you used? It should be SQLyog Job Agent 8.23.2.

Also, can you please install SQLyog in new path and check the case again.

Thank You.

Regards,

Khushboo

peterlaursen
      Participant

You may get the SJA version with commands “sja –version” or “sja -v”.

andrewteg
      Participant

Thanks guys. SJA is working fine!

I did not realize that 8.23.2 installed separately to just “SQLyog” and when I was running SJA on the command line I was using “SQLyog Enterprise” so it was using SJA 8.18. When I updated the path to the new SJA at “SQLyog” it used SJA 8.23.2 and that worked great!

Thanks,

Andrew

Khushboo

Hi Andrew,

Thank You for reporting this issue and for your feedback.

This fix will be included in next public release 8.3 Beta1, releasing probably next week.

Regards,

Khushboo

Khushboo

Hi,

We have released SQLyog 8.3 Beta1 with this fix, which is available publicly!

Please refer to:

http://www.webyog.com/blog/2010/02/18/sqlyog-mysql-gui-8-3-beta-1-has-been-released/

Thank you.

Regards,

Khushboo

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.