Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Table View Ui And Features Sucks

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog Comments Table View Ui And Features Sucks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 reply threads
  • Author
      DanielD

Hello Everyone,

First of all I'm quite happy with other features of SQLyog but very disappointed when it comes to using data view. Few points:

1, Filtering on value is way to click intensive. This should ideally be simple input field below each column name no need for 5 click/selection to get to filter by LIKE '%%'

2, After query is run (using filter) there is no easy way to amend query.

3, There is no way to filter on more than one column.

4, After clicking on another table all filters previously applied are gone

5, There is no way to jump to last page of records (without using reordering)

6, No easy way to know how many records are in the table

7, I miss feature from phpmyadmin of saving records you are editing as new

Those are just basic things that are missing for me. Is everyone really happy with the way this works at the moment? Or you don't use it in data view? Or am I missing some trick?

Thanks Daniel

peterlaursen
      Participant

Nothing new here. I do not agree that this is 'basic features'. Refererence to phpMyAdmin is irrelevant for us. phpMyAdmin is not a standard – it is just one program among many. And very slow to work with.

We do plan to add more filtering options as requested over time – but it only requires the most elementary knowledge of SQL/SELECT syntax to have results in the RESULT tab as requested. 

1) we have chosen another implementation.

2) You can filter again??

3) write a SELECT query with a WHERE/HAVING clause. But this is planned (with low priority).

4) taken ad notam.  Good point.

5) planned for near future

6) Because with some table engines (like InnoD:cool: retrieving a rowcount is either very slow (up to several minutes with a large table) or inaccurate.  We do not design for MyISAM – we design for MySQL – and all engines supported with MySQL. Execute SELECT COUNT(*) or see the information in INFO tab (using SHOW TABLE STATUS).

7) No plans to support this.  There are various problems with Primary/Unique/Foreign keys with a reasonable indexed table. I believe such feature in mostly useful for people not designing proper schemas and tables or who have very simple tables only. We do however have requests for 'duplicate row' (what is not scheduled and no guarantee that we will ever do it).

We will discuss point 4 after New Year.  The rest of the points do not change our plans.

DanielD

Hi, Thanks for response

1, good to hear as long as it improvement over current implementation I'm all for it

2, yes you can, but it's very handy to be able to amend query in the top window immediately

3, I can write query, point was about making it easier

4, that is good

5, that is good

6, disagree here. you have tables with lot of rows and for example clicking show all rows would be bad idea. Button that you could click to get count of rows within table view would solve the issue of performance if user wants it he could get the info without need to write query.

7, reference to phpmyadmin was to just to point out where I seen such a thing I was not comparing products. This one is nice to have but can live without.

Few more things:

8, do you plan to support searching on whole DB? result would then show in what tables searched term was found?

9, do you plan to have insert/edit form? would open new windows with fields listed vertically

Regards

'peterlaursen' wrote on '28:

Nothing new here. I do not agree that this is 'basic features'. Refererence to phpMyAdmin is irrelevant for us. phpMyAdmin is not a standard – it is just one program among many. And very slow to work with.

We do plan to add more filtering options as requested over time – but it only requires the most elementary knowledge of SQL/SELECT syntax to have results in the RESULT tab as requested. 

1) we have chosen another implementation.

2) You can filter again??

3) write a SELECT query with a WHERE/HAVING clause. But this is planned (with low priority).

4) taken ad notam.  Good point.

5) planned for near future

6) Because with some table engines (like InnoD:cool: retrieving a rowcount is either very slow (up to several minutes with a large table) or inaccurate.  We do not design for MyISAM – we design for MySQL – and all engines supported with MySQL. Execute SELECT COUNT(*) or see the information in INFO tab (using SHOW TABLE STATUS).

7) No plans to support this.  There are various problems with Primary/Unique/Foreign keys with a reasonable indexed table. I believe such feature in mostly useful for people not designing proper schemas and tables or who have very simple tables only. We do however have requests for 'duplicate row' (what is not scheduled and no guarantee that we will ever do it).

We will discuss point 4 after New Year.  The rest of the points do not change our plans.

peterlaursen
      Participant

We will return to this after New Year and give more detailed replies.

Quote:
      Nobody seems to be complain about his, Am I the only one

Indeed you are not! Many of us have been asking for this quite simple functionality for over a year… unfortunately they have been implying it would be done ever since and considering it is no more than a 15 minute modification I would imagine if they haven't done it by now they will never do it!

peterlaursen
      Participant

@Lawrence .. what is a '15 minute modification'?

'peterlaursen' wrote on '30:

@Lawrence
      .. what is a '15 minute modification'?

To allow the user to type a %filter%… the code is already there to act upon filters so the coding required is pretty much as simple as accepting a field and passing it to the existing routine! I would think 15 minutes would be ample 🙂

Rohit
      'Laurence wrote on '04:

To allow the user to type a %filter%… the code is already there to act upon filters so the coding required is pretty much as simple as accepting a field and passing it to the existing routine! I would think 15 minutes would be ample 🙂

We will reply soon. The main problem is not writing the code to apply the filter – but finding a place to accept the filter condition without making the UI clunkier.

Any suggestions?

DanielD
      'Rohit' wrote on '04:

We will reply soon. The main problem is not writing the code to apply the filter – but finding a place to accept the filter condition without making the UI clunkier.

Any suggestions?

Right below the column name have text field you can type in. In preferences you could set if you want to search as you type of wait for enter. Search query afterwards shown in the query window above so it can be amended as needed if you wanted different type of filter then LIKE '%%' for text or = for numeric fields. Nothing clunky about it! Super fast way of filtering.

Khushboo

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The requested feature is already under consideration.

code.google.com/p/sqlyog/issues/detail?id=727

We will definitely improve the filter options.

We will discuss about this feature implementation with other team members and update.

Thank you.

Regards,

Khushboo

DanielD
      'Khushboo' wrote on '13:

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the suggestion.

The requested feature is already under consideration.

code.google.com/p/sqlyog/issues/detail?id=727

We will definitely improve the filter options.

We will discuss about this feature implementation with other team members and update.

Thank you.

Regards,

Khushboo

Are you getting somewhere with this?

Shalmali
      'DanielD' wrote on '09:

Are you getting somewhere with this?

Hello Daniel,

Custom filter in the table data tab is scheduled for 8.6 release.

The first beta of this feature is likely to release 2-3 weeks from now.

Thanks!

Shalmali

'DanielD' wrote on '13:

Right below the column name have text field you can type in. In preferences you could set if you want to search as you type of wait for enter. Search query afterwards shown in the query window above so it can be amended as needed if you wanted different type of filter then LIKE '%%' for text or = for numeric fields. Nothing clunky about it! Super fast way of filtering.

This doesn't help when you have 10,000 records and you would have to scroll down 5,828 records to the one you want with the right data in it.

I am VERY worried about not having this feature, it seems like a no brainer, and it makes me seriously wonder about purchasing a piece of software where the simpliest of items are not included. It makes me wonder what else isn't included…

I'll likely buy it, but only after this is implemented.

Shalmali
      'Albert wrote on '05:

This doesn't help when you have 10,000 records and you would have to scroll down 5,828 records to the one you want with the right data in it.

I am VERY worried about not having this feature, it seems like a no brainer, and it makes me seriously wonder about purchasing a piece of software where the simpliest of items are not included. It makes me wonder what else isn't included…

I'll likely buy it, but only after this is implemented.

Hello Albert,

We are working on this, we have already scheduled it for 8.6 release.

The first beta is likely to release next week.

~Shalmali

Khushboo

Hi,

We have released SQLyog 8.6 version with this feature,

“Custom Filter” in Result/Table Data Tab.

Please refer to:

http://www.webyog.com/blog/2010/08/24/sqlyog-%E2%80%93-mysql-gui-8-6-ga-new-features-improved-performance-and-stability/

Thanks & Regards,

Khushboo

DanielD

Tiny bit of improvement, but still very user unfriendly…

1, you don't know what was the criteria applied

2, only one filter at the time can be applied

3, to amend the filter you have to go to history copy query and amend or create new filter

4, query should be display in the query window so it can be tweaked if needed

I just do not get why would you not have this field to type filter criteria right below column name. Tons of grids on the web do it example http://www.trirand.net/demophp.aspx > “Searching/Filtering” > “Search toolbar” such easy improvement.

Regards

Daniel

p.s. Seems like Laurence Jones was right this will never happen.

'Khushboo' wrote:

Hi,

We have released SQLyog 8.6 version with this feature,

“Custom Filter” in Result/Table Data Tab.

Please refer to:

http://www.webyog.com/blog/2010/08/24/sqlyog-%E2%80%93-mysql-gui-8-6-ga-new-features-improved-performance-and-stability/

Thanks & Regards,

Khushboo

Aparna

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

1. you don't know what was the criteria applied

In both table data and the result tab once the filter has been applied the filter icon gets enabled and if you put the mouse pointer on the filter icon then the tool tip shows the filter condition that was applied. Please see the attached screen shots.

2. only one filter at the time can be applied

Yes, at the moment filter is possible only on a single column. This enhancement might be taken into account in future.

3. To amend the filter you have to go to history copy query and amend or create new filter

Yes, currently this is the only way to make changes to a query and this will also be solved if multi column filter is considered. Please correct me if i am wrong.

4.query should be display in the query window so it can be tweaked if needed.

This cannot be implemented. It gives a wrong impression to the user that the query was executed by him/her and that the query was not a result of the filter action that the user performed.

DanielD

1, true still requires mousing over tiny icon instead of filter being immediately visible without action needed.

2, you should, it's common thing to require more than one condition

3, yes multicolumn with immediately accessible fields for filtering would solve it

4, reason why not it is not good enough. why not open new tab with name “Filter Query” is soon as filter is run….

Regards

'Aparna' wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions.

1. you don't know what was the criteria applied

In both table data and the result tab once the filter has been applied the filter icon gets enabled and if you put the mouse pointer on the filter icon then the tool tip shows the filter condition that was applied. Please see the attached screen shots.

2. only one filter at the time can be applied

Yes, at the moment filter is possible only on a single column. This enhancement might be taken into account in future.

3. To amend the filter you have to go to history copy query and amend or create new filter

Yes, currently this is the only way to make changes to a query and this will also be solved if multi column filter is considered. Please correct me if i am wrong.

4.query should be display in the query window so it can be tweaked if needed.

This cannot be implemented. It gives a wrong impression to the user that the query was executed by him/her and that the query was not a result of the filter action that the user performed.

peterlaursen
      Participant

I have added requests here: http://code.google.com/p/sqlyog/issues/detail?id=1570

Note that this is not on the agenda for foreseeable future. We are fully booked for months with what features and fixes have been decide for next major program tree (9.0).

ken

This seems like another thread that falls into a category which might be paraphrased something like: “Make it more like Product X” (In this case, maybe MS Access). And Peter often says “Product X is not a standard”, which is kind of true, not an ISO or GATT standard, but anything used by millions of people becomes at least a source of expectations setting, if not a standard.

Anyway, I know that Peter et al. are now looking at my request to allow processing Append queries more like Access, which would be a big step forward, and toward my ability to get rid of Access (and Office altogether).

For Daniel, I sympathize, but I have an Ubuntu machine with a Vista VM, and a Netbook with XP on my desk, and I run some operations via PHPMA, some via Access, and some via Yog, whichever suits the purpose at hand.

I am saying that I can see everyone's points.

GrantColl

I find the editing very painful as well. Which is a shame as there are many good features. But after many years of using phpmyadmin, the ease with which you can search for data, edit data, insert lines is far better than this program.

But, the Duplicate row might have been an improvement, except it appears to have a bug. After you duplicate a line, then any changes you make to either line, are applied to both of them. What the heck is the point of that ??? You have different lines to have different information, not two lines that are for ever the same. Then it gets worse, you realise you are stuck with two lines, so you go to delete one. But no, the only option is to delete both, so you lose the duplicated line, plus your original real data. Major flaw sorry guys.

The customer filter is ok, but still way too much work just to search in a field/s. This is a database after all, and this is what you need to do.

Grant

ashwin
      Quote:
      But, the Duplicate row might have been an improvement, except it appears to have a bug. After you duplicate a line, then any changes you make to either line, are applied to both of them. What the heck is the point of that ??? You have different lines to have different information, not two lines that are for ever the same. Then it gets worse, you realise you are stuck with two lines, so you go to delete one. But no, the only option is to delete both, so you lose the duplicated line, plus your original real data. Major flaw sorry guys.

Please read: http://www.webyog.com/faq/content/28/70/en/i-only-changed-one-row-of-data-but-sqlyog-wants-to-update-more-rows-in-the-database-why.html

Are you sure that you have defined a Primary Key on the table?

Quote:
      I find the editing very painful as well. Which is a shame as there are many good features. But after many years of using phpmyadmin, the ease with which you can search for data, edit data, insert lines is far better than this program.

The customer filter is ok, but still way too much work just to search in a field/s. This is a database after all, and this is what you need to do.

Have you tried Data Search as introduced in 9.1 and refined in 9.2?

Please refer

http://www.webyog.com/blog/2011/06/09/mysql-data-search-data-at-your-finger-tips/

http://www.webyog.com/blog/2011/07/25/data-search-enhanced-in-sqlyog-9-2/

… as well as the paragraph on Data Search in the program help file (help .. help menu) of 9.2.

Regards,

Ashwin A

Viewing 21 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.