Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Syncing Tables without a Primary Key

forums forums SQLyog Sync tools, Migration, Scheduled Backup and Notifications Syncing Tables without a Primary Key

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      ozukira

I'm mostly a MySQL dummy, so can someone help me understand why SJA will not sync tables that do not have a PRIMARY KEY defined? Please do not reply with RTFM as that is what I'm currently doing. I just haven't came across this info as of yet (a little direction to the appropriate manual would be nice).

I understand that primary keys are important for referential integrity in a properly normalized database. The problem lies it tables that do not relate to other tables, such as configuration tables for a MySQL driven website. It seems silly to define primary keys for them, but I can if absolutely necessary. They just won't be of any use to anything other than SJA. 😉

Shadow

SQLyog has always been picky on PKs. It won't let you edit a table via its GUI if the table does not have a PK defined.

In the sync case, however, I perfectly understand why SQLyog does not sync tables without PK: it would need to compare the whole content of the desired table to determine which rows differ and that would put heavy load on the machine(s) with the dbs and SQLyog. If you do can create those PKs then go ahead and creat them!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.