Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Suggestion for user management

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Suggestion for user management

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      JPV

Hello,

I am using SQLYog for over a year now and I think it is a great tool, although I think some features can be improved. See also my previous topic about a suggestion for a new copy database form design.

I want to propose an integration of the options 'Add user', 'Edit user' and 'Manage Permissions'. In my opinion those three options can very well be integrated into one form instead of three different forms. With three different forms and three different menu options it is almost impossible to have a good view on the available users and their permissions. In my opinion it is important to have the general permissions and the per database permissions for a user in one window. When you manage the permissions it is very easy to make a mistake, for example by denying permissions on the database level and not noticing that someone still has general permissions. So at least the permission features should be integrated into one form, but why not also add the user management into the same form. I think it makes it far much easier and less riskier to integrate the features into one form.

As in my previous topic I am willing to provide a graphical design, if you want me to.

I hope you will consider my suggestion and that SQLYog will become even better.

CalEvans

I second this. User management is one of the last remaining weak areas for SQLYog.

=C=

Ritesh

First of all, thank you for your valuable time and we are absolutely delighted to have so many well-wishers for SQLyog!

We would like to take this forward and target it for Rel 4.2. Please send your design and we can discuss it on the forum. We are committed towards providing the most intuitive UI to MySQL.

All Webyog forum members are welcome to improvise on the UI design.

Additionally, please send a mail to [email protected] if you want to become a beta-tester for SQLyog.

JPV

Hello,

I am creating some sample forms at the moment, but because I'm very busy it can take some more days. At least I want to mention that I am glad that you are willing to consider my suggestion and that I'm working on it.

Thanks and soon I will post my sample forms…

Ritesh

Thanks for your help 😀

Maybe you can send me images for the following problem too:

http://www.webyog.com/forums/index.php?act…t=ST&f=6&t=1295

peterlaursen
      Participant

User management seems to be a problem …

I just changed my “default” MySQL version from 4.1.11 to 5.0.3, and after that user management with “MySQL Administrator” doesn't work. However user management with sqlyog does … 😀

And it is NOT because I didn't update the grant tables.

But I agree that it would be nice to have ALL privileges of a user (global, base, table, column, resources) shown in ONE pane!

Ritesh

I guess MySQL has again changed the implementation of User Management from 4.1.x to 5.x 😉

We need to research on it and come up with the best result.

We are waiting for a screenshot from JPW.

peterlaursen
      Participant

Yes – they have.

they also added some new privileges (that are not yet accesible from sqlyog GUI).

JPV

Hi,

I am very busy at the moment, but I will try to post a form design as soon as possible. I hope within a few days.

peterlaursen
      Participant

I want to be fair, so with the latest “Mysql Adminstrator” (1.0.20) user management works !

JPV

Hello,

Sorry it did take so long before I posted my proposal, but here it is. In my opinion it is one window that combines three of the current windows: 'Add User', 'Edit User' and 'Manage Permissions'. Consider it to be the first sketch and don't hesitate to make comments. I am curious about your opinion!

peterlaursen
      Participant

Just one comment … no two ..

1)

there are quite a lot of new privileges wiht the MySQL-server ver. 5. They should be included too!

2)

It should also show “resources” available to user (# of simultaneous connections etc. )

peterlaursen
      Participant

One proposal for a small change

“ALL” privilges should be shown at left and be applicable for as well “global privileges”. “Schema privileges”, “table privileges” and “column privileges”. To make it ease to GRANT all available privileges of a table to a certain user.

And privileges that are not applicable with a certain server version should either “grey out” or be hidden.

But I I'm not sure I quite understand what you mean. Should all tables available with the connection be shown or only tables of a DB that is highlighted ? In the first case it could come out to be an ENORMOUS view, in the second case the idea of everviewing everything in one pane is lost, I think.

I'd consider an ability to “unfold” a DB to show tables below it and “unfold” a table to show columns accordingly. In case a (for instance) DB in “infolded” the privileges to the user that apply only to certain tables and columns could have it's own symbol or color. A triangle symbol at the left of the text is widely used as an “unfold/infold” symbol.

There is one thing more to consider. I believe a user can only GRANT a priviliege to otheres if he has the privilege himself. Right ? Privileges that are not GRANTable for current user could also be shown in another symbol or color (example: red cross over box).

And one last thing: It should be able to set miscelaneous information (Full name, Description, Email, Contact Information)about the user (Table “user_info” i the “mysql” D:cool:

Ritesh
      Quote:
      shown or only tables of a DB that is highlighted ? In the first case it could come out to be an ENORMOUS view, in the second case the idea of everviewing everything in one pane is lost, I think

The window looks quite similar to our current Manage Permissions option. I think in the above design, @jpv proposes to show tables of the highlighted DB.

Quote:
      I'd consider an ability to “unfold” a DB to show tables below it and “unfold” a table to show columns accordingly.

This will require a TREEVIEW control like ObjectBrowser rather then GRID control approach that we are using.

Quote:
      And privileges that are not applicable with a certain server version should either “grey out” or be hidden

Best solution would be to query the MySQL server and find out the privileges available from the MySQL system table. This way we would add/show only those privileges available.

Shadow

At first I would be delighted if SQLyog supported “new” privileges introduced in MySql 4.1…

If you want to see a well designed UI, then download EMS MySql manager from Internet. Its GUI is far superior to SQLyog, but it is a bit buggy. I must admit, very buggy, at least on W2K…

peterlaursen
      Participant

BTW:

To me user management with SQLyog is not important any more. I do fine with “MySQL Administrator”. Actually I think developer resources at webyog should concentrate on aspects of worrking with MySQL that are not available with free tools from MySQL, or where it could be done better (more intuitve and user-friendly for instance). But of course – as long as there is a user management feature in SQLyog it should be complete! And MySQL Administrator does not support tunnelling. However I never use user management through a tunneled connection (on local server it does not make sense, on my webhost they only allow their “Control Panel” -application to manage users anyway).

Shadow

Actually, I disagree with you peterlaursen on this issue! I prefer to use one application, or at least one set of applications (set=apps created by same vendor) to perform all tasks regarding MySql! I don't want to launch MySqlAdministrator every time just because I want grant or revoke rights, ad or delete users.

Ritesh

I totally agree with Shadow. There should not be any reason for somebody to use anything except SQLyog to work with their MySQL server.

We plan to completely re-write the User Management option to make it MySQL 4.1.x and 5.x compatible.

JPV

Sorry, haven't been here for a while… I guess the notification for new replies didn't work…

Quote:
      1)

there are quite a lot of new privileges wiht the MySQL-server ver. 5. They should be included too!

2)

It should also show “resources” available to user (# of simultaneous connections etc. )

Of course… my design is a design for a new structure, not a design to mention all existing permissions; extra user properties can be added, of course!

Quote:
      “ALL” privilges should be shown at left and be applicable for as well “global privileges”. “Schema privileges”, “table privileges” and “column privileges”. To make it ease to GRANT all available privileges of a table to a certain user.

I agree completely…

Quote:
      And privileges that are not applicable with a certain server version should either “grey out” or be hidden.

I think they should be hidden; grey them out when the user has no permission to change a prvilege.

Quote:
      The window looks quite similar to our current Manage Permissions option. I think in the above design, @jpv proposes to show tables of the highlighted DB.

Quote:

I'd consider an ability to “unfold” a DB to show tables below it and “unfold” a table to show columns accordingly.

This will require a TREEVIEW control like ObjectBrowser rather then GRID control approach that we are using

Indeed I propose to show tables of the highighted DB and columns of the highlighted table. In my design I do not want to show a complete overview of all permission settings; in the first place I want one single place to grant/revoke permissions and view existing permissions; two different windows is terrible if you need them both at the same time. On the other hand, a treeview like design leaves it to the user what he wants to see and what he wants to hide; even in my design it can be difficult to compare permissions, especially when comparing column permissions in different databases. In my opinion the treeview will be the best solution, for it can show the things the user wants to see and can hide the things that the user doesn't want to see.

Quote:
      There is one thing more to consider. I believe a user can only GRANT a priviliege to otheres if he has the privilege himself. Right ? Privileges that are not GRANTable for current user could also be shown in another symbol or color (example: red cross over box).

I prefer greying out the permissions that cannot be set by the user; a red cross can be confusing: in SQL Server Enterprise Manager, for example, it means a revoke…

Quote:
      It should be able to set miscelaneous information (Full name, Description, Email, Contact Information)about the user (Table “user_info” i the “mysql” D:cool:

same as above: extra user properties can be added, of course!

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.