Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

SSH/SFTP/SSL

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog SSH/SFTP/SSL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      paulmaherstarwars
      Participant

I just connected to a MySQL database on a server that isn't SSL equipped with the SSL box checked in SQLYog Shouldn't SQLYog warn me that it wasn't able to connect with SSL ?

Also might you be adding SSH/SFTP support in the near future, that would be nice built right in to the program and I think very good move on your part, would definately boost slaes!!

Thanks……………

CalEvans

How would sftp be beneficial to a program that connects to sql servers?

=C=

paulmaherstarwars
      Participant

SSH1/SSH2 I should have said………… SSH2 is apparently big step forward in security, I'm no expert myself just what I've been reading …….

Shadow

SSL was meant to be a transparent protocol, the communicating parties need not be aware of its presence and therefore need not check whether the connection is secured. If an application requires encription under all circumstances then it would be necessary to check whether ssl is enabled or not. I don't consider SQLyog such an application…

paulmaherstarwars
      Participant

If for any reason an SSL connection was not achieved I would like SQLYog to tell me or else I'm blissfully unaware that my sesitive data is being compromised. You think that's Ok though do you?

Shadow

The problem is, that MySql provides poor feedback whether SSL connection has been established or not. If you had not set REQUIRE SSL, then MySql would silently connect you in the unencrypted way providing that SSL did not work out. Even if you had set REQUIRE SSL,but your MySql is not open_ssl enabled then MySql would connect you in the traditional way. It is known bug, perhaps 4.0.14 had it already fixed, I'm not sure.

Anyway, no matter what os you speak of, most MySql users have experienced difficulties setting up SSL enabled MySql servers. If I wanted to be sure that I have a secure connection to MySql, I would use an SSH client to tunnel my queries to the server. The trick is to have an SSL client on your machine and on the machine where MySql is running.

To be honest, I never really liked SSL and if security is so important, than administer your DB from localhost because that is the safest way!

paulmaherstarwars
      Participant

I believe Stable OpenSSL support is planned for the final release of 4.1, the point I'm making is that I'd like to see SSH built right into SQLYog, maybe the devlopers will let me know if there are any plans for this feature to be added in the near future, it can only be a good thing for everybody…..

Shadow

What can a client do, if MySql refuses to connect via SSL, but connects in the normal way and does not raise any error (may log in in the error log in case log-warnings is specified and you run MySql 4.0.13 or higher) and there is no variable that would indicate that the connection is secured or not?

paulmaherstarwars
      Participant

I've been told that SSH integration is planned for v3.6 of SQLYog, so that's good news.

That puts a finishing touch to very good software …..

Ritesh

Sorry.

SSH support is planned for SQLyog Max.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.