Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

SQLyog "Not Responding" during ODBC import

forums forums SQLyog Sync tools, Migration, Scheduled Backup and Notifications SQLyog "Not Responding" during ODBC import

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Lysia

Whenever I try to use the ODBC import wizard, it hangs and says “Not Responding” in task manager. Then it freezes up the whole screen, and any new windows that are opened are left hanging in the background. Any thoughts on why this could be happening? If I let it sit “Not Responding” for awhile, it finally starts responding, but it takes a good 5 minutes or so. During the time it appears to be not responding, it is actually running, since when the screen comes back up it shows the process has moved. I'm currently using the import tool to import data from an MS SQL database into a MySQL database.

Ritesh

Which page of the wizard is giving the error?

It may happen that you are importing a very big database. This may take some time 😀

Lysia

It happens after the very last page of the wizard, where it says “Completing ODBC Import Wizard”. I hit “Run Immediately”, and the blue bar begins to move, as if it is working. Then it stops. Originally, I figured that the database must be quite large, and that it is taking some time to run the whole process. But one day it had been an inordinate amount of time, so I went into Task Manager and saw that it was “Not Responding”. I am asking the wizard to delete the rows in the destination table before re-adding the data, which I also realize may take time. But what I can't figure out is why it freezes, and takes nearly an hour to unfreeze (I timed it yesterday; it took nearly an hour).

I've also noticed that while the upload is running, you cannot do anything else on the server. Doing so will cause the upload to stay frozen longer.

Also, there are times when I cannot access the server directly, so I use VNC to run the wizard. This has seemed to fail almost without exception.

Unfortunately, until SQLyog comes out with the newest release which allows for non-MySQL databases to be included in automation, I will have to continue manually running this process every day, twice a day, to import the neccessary data onto our website.

Shadow

If task manager says that an application is not responding, it doesn't necessarily mean the app has stopped working. Task manager merely points out that the app does not respond to GUI events. It would be nice if SQLyog created a separate thread to deal with the progress report of sja and would not just sit there and wait for the sync to be completed.

Ritesh

SJA runs in a different thread that you can terminate in between 😀

ODBC Import is executed in the same thread as the application. This is why we get a “NOT RESPONDING” message in the task bar.

SQLyog Max is being built as a multithreaded application from ground up. All these problems will be fixed in Max 😀

Shadow

Sorry, I mixed sja with ODBC import 🙄

Anyway, it's good to hear that Max is going to be a multithreaded version!

Lysia

Thank you so much for clarifying!! I noticed that the application appeared to keep working regardless of the Not Responding message, so this makes sense. It looks like all my troubles will be resolved when SQLMax comes out! Keep me posted as to when there is an ETA for it!!!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.