Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

SQLyog For Linux

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog SQLyog For Linux

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

Hi how can i find SQLyog for Linux ,i mean for manage database not just agent

Please Help Me.

Shadow

SQLyog is not available on Linux as of now. SQLyog MAX is planned to be released on other platforms than Windows in the upcoming months.

Anonymous

I already tried sqlyog in windows. It Very Powerfull Tools .Now i using Linux as workstation so I need Mysql Client to manage our database Mysql . Any suggestions freeware tools to manage Mysql easy like sqlyog?

Shadow

To be honest, I have very little experience with Linux/Unix, but as far as I'm concerned MySql has a control center that is capable of managing its servers. You can download this app from MySql's website. Furthermore, there are numerous third party products listed on MySql's site that are related to MySql (SQLyog is among them, too). You should check them out as well.

SQLyog MAX is maturing, if you are willing to take part in beta testing it on Linux, send a PM to Ritesh. He will be more than happy to have an additional tester.

Ritesh

SQLyog Max – the next generation upgrade to SQLyog has been released. Linux binaries of SQLyog Max are available at http://www.webyog.com/forums/index.php?act…ct=ST&f=2&t=883

Adeel Shahid
      Ritesh wrote on Jul 1 2004, 07:40 AM:
      SQLyog Max – the next generation upgrade to SQLyog has been released. Linux binaries of SQLyog Max are available at http://www.webyog.com/forums/index.php?act…p;f=2&t=883

the above link is not accessible it gives out a Board Message

christo

Hi,

I've test SqlYog on linux (fedora 9) with wine, it works.

but a native linux version would be great.

When ??

Christophe

DAE51D
      Shadow wrote on Jun 22 2004, 03:02 PM:
      To be honest, I have very little experience with Linux/Unix, but as far as I'm concerned MySql has a control center that is capable of managing its servers. You can download this app from MySql's website. Furthermore, there are numerous third party products listed on MySql's site that are related to MySql (SQLyog is among them, too). You should check them out as well.

And every one of the mySQL clients for linux SUCKS beyond belief. NOTHING compares to SQLYog — believe me, I've looked for YEARS. Even mySQL's own tools are a joke. They do the very basics and cause me more frustration than anything.

Shadow wrote on Jun 22 2004, 03:02 PM:
      SQLyog MAX is maturing, if you are willing to take part in beta testing it on Linux, send a PM to Ritesh. He will be more than happy to have an additional tester.

The link is broken or private or something. I would love to test MAX on Ubuntu/Gnome. Please PM me or email me directly.

peterlaursen
      Participant

Forget about SQLyog MAX! Use SQLyog with Wine instead:

http://webyog.com/faq/content/31/71/en/can…r-on-linux.html

independent reviews:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?…on&iId=1328

intel352
      'peterlaursen' wrote:

Forget about SQLyog MAX! Use SQLyog with Wine instead:

http://webyog.com/faq/content/31/71/en/can…r-on-linux.html

independent reviews:

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?…on&iId=1328

It would be nice to get SQLYog running in native Linux. Running under Wine often shows display/rendering issues, poor performance, etc.

I'm surprised no Linux enthusiasts have forked the Community Edition to get it into a Linux environment. Perhaps the license is stopping people? (Just an assumption, haven't seen the license)

peterlaursen
      Participant

You cannot really 'fork' SQLyog to Linux.. It is not because license would prevent 'forking' to Linux (anybody can start tonight with the COMMUNITY version and could for 4 years but nobody did yet). But it technically notreally possible unless completely rewriting major parts of the program and replacing the Win 32 API with other libraries. And there is none available that are a simple 'plugin replacement' (except for Winelib that would just embed a Wine instance into SQLyog itself). For instance most of all the rich functionalities of the SQLyog GRID class would require tremendous amounts of work to port to Linux.. And we believe that few Linux users would pay for – or even contribute much to – that work.

SQLyog is now a very complex program (with 1 million+ code lines for more than 4 years as far as I have been told). People developing it and testing it earn salaries in order to sustain their families. We are not a charity. We do not believe that the benefits of a Linux version justifies the effort and expenses. People would love it maybe – but would not pay 5% of what it would take to develop it.

You do not grow apples on an orange tree (or vice versa). Burt I like both apples and oranges! But I earn my living from oranges as long as people think that apples must be free.

intel352
      'peterlaursen' wrote:

You cannot really 'fork' SQLyog to Linux.. It is not because license would prevent 'forking' to Linux (anybody can start tonight with the COMMUNITY version and could for 4 years but nobody did yet). But it technically notreally possible unless completely rewriting major parts of the program and replacing the Win 32 API with other libraries. And there is none available that are a simple 'plugin replacement' (except for Winelib that would just embed a Wine instance into SQLyog itself). For instance most of all the rich functionalities of the SQLyog GRID class would require tremendous amounts of work to port to Linux.. And we believe that few Linux users would pay for – or even contribute much to – that work.

SQLyog is now a very complex program (with 1 million+ code lines for more than 4 years as far as I have been told). People developing it and testing it earn salaries in order to sustain their families. We are not a charity. We do not believe that the benefits of a Linux version justifies the effort and expenses. People would love it maybe – but would not pay 5% of what it would take to develop it.

You do not grow apples on an orange tree (or vice versa). Burt I like both apples and oranges! But I earn my living from oranges as long as people think that apples must be free.

While I agree that porting to Linux itself would likely not be worthwhile enough (most Linux users tend to avoid paying for software when possible), a BSD port would likely be worthwhile, as it could be the basis for a Mac version as well. And we all know that Mac users will gladly overpay for both hardware and software 🙂

I would personally love to see SQLYog on Mac and/or Linux. If my “free” time wasn't already consumed with work, then I would work towards porting the code myself.

Peter, are there not libraries that the SQLYog team could start implementing into the software to make it more cross-platform compatible? i.e. – slowly swapping out bits where possible, to make the software more versatile?

Even if the libs implemented didn't provide outright support for Mac/Linux immediately, if they were libs/apis that were not so specifically tied to Windows, that would better enable the chances of ports to exist.

Plus, once you guys can get a proper open-source community thriving, that can start driving development further. Especially if SQLYog development ever moves to Mercurial or Git (and even better if hosted on Github or Bitbucket, rather than Google Code), so that the code could be more readily forked so that others could more readily contribute.

It may be worth considering for a long-term plan, especially considering how Apple's market share (especially in mobile & tablets) is growing considerably.

peterlaursen
      Participant

There are x-platform libraries. Something would probably be almost trivial (example: use the 'curl' library and not wininit for network routines), but almost everything related to the GUI in particular is not.

I can only repeat that currently there are no plans for non-Windows versions.

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.