Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Sqlyog Craches With "out Of Memory" Message

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Sqlyog Craches With "out Of Memory" Message

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      vygi

Hello there,

the new Version v12 (incl. latest beta) crashes at least once per week with message “out of memory” (or similar).

It happens during Windows login (after the PC was locked), or when I return with “Alt-Tab” back to SQLyog.

The session is restored after manual restart of SQLyog, so no data lost.

Windows: XP SP3 (yes, really that old…)

SQLyog Ultimate v12.01 32 bit

Currently 5 connections open, with 23 query tabs (1 to 11 per connection), with no big result sets.

SQLyog uses 42 MB of memory at the moment (restarted yesterday).

I switch my PC off (only) over the weekend. Monday started –> yesterday SQLyog crashed.

Only Excel, Opera browser, text editor(s), file manager, and several PuTTY sessions are running.

Another workmate experiences same craches (on XP), as well.

Thanks,

Vygi

peterlaursen
      Participant

OK .. I think we will need to reproduce this on XP as first step (if we can). But it could be that code generated by our compiler (Visual Studio 2010 with all Servicepacks and updates) produces code that is not safe on XP. After all Microsoft stopped support for XP ~1 year ago.  And as an XP user you probably don’t have an option to try the 64 bit version of SQLyog (64 bit XP’s did exist, but were not commonly used).

MySQL documentaton has this http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/out-of-memory.html (but SQLyog does not support the -quick option like command line client does. I believe it always uses the mysql_store_result() and not the mysql_use_result() API function (refer http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql-use-result.html) – so this is not a solution). It is very much a mystery to me how this error (if it is the same error) can occur as you didn’t even execute a query.

As a first step could you please attach a screenshot of the error dialog? This will help us to understand the context (if it is a Windows dialog or a SQLyog dialog returning this error for instance). 

Also please tell how much RAM you have in the machine and how much is typically used/free.

vygi

Thank you;

my PC has 4 GB RAM in total.

3.319.748 KB available for the 32-bit OS,

right now only 1,04 GB (1/3) used and 2.210.736 KB free.

More info and screenshots comes as soon as the program crashes (this or next week).

Vygi

As a first step could you please attach a screenshot of the error dialog? This will help us to understand the context (if it is a Windows dialog or a SQLyog dialog returning this error for instance). 

Also please tell how much RAM you have in the machine and how much is typically used/free.

vygi
      here we go:
      peterlaursen
      Participant

Can you please check in the Windows EventViewer (Control Panel .. Administration .. Logs) if there is more information? 

vygi

No; nothing special what could be related to SQLyog, and no events at all at the time the yog has crashed…

I will ask our sysadmin to upgrade my workstation to Windows 7 as XP is really too old…

Anyway, another screenshot attached; task manager is now visible.

[attachment=1978:SQLyog_crashed2.PNG]

As you can see there are no memory allocation changes within the last minutes.

Slightly less than 1000 MB of RAM was used (with SQLyog) yesterday all the time. I’ve locked up my workstation in the evening. Now this “Not enough memory” message and 1.01 GB used. It dropped to 923 MB after I clicked “OK” and now 951 MB after the SQLyog is restarted (session restored but no queries executed so far).

peterlaursen
      Participant

I wish I knew how we could possible debug that. We will have to research.

If your hardware supports, install Win7 as well as SQLyog as 64 bit.

vygi

I wish we could upgrade… our sysadmin said “No” 🙁

At least two of my colleagues have same problem.

Fortunately, the session (all connections and all query tabs) is being always fully restored, so that’s not a real problem. Just kinda annoying…

Thanks for your support, Peter!

peterlaursen
      Participant

I think we need to study this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_xp

I notice here:

Version Limit on X86

Windows XP

4 GB

Windows XP Starter Edition

512 MB

What is the exact Win XP edition (I think there were 5 different + a “MediaCenter”  edition)? 

peterlaursen
      Participant

+ what type of graphics system do you have? If graphics share the RAM/memory with the system/CPU (such as Intel onboard graphics), it could be here that the ‘chain breaks’ somehow.

vygi

Hello there,

we have XP Professional with 4GB and integrated graphics which uses 1GB. 3GB of RAM are available for the OS. Max. 40% (1.2G:cool: used and at least 1.8GB free, even when additional applications are running and SQLyog is holding and showing results of 20-30 executed (mostly vers light) queries. Then it needs 50-60MB of RAM. Never more.

Now it crashed again. Ca. 2,006,000 KB of RAM (almost 2G:cool: free AFTER restart or SQlyog. The SQLyog itself currently uses 38MB.

This issue came together with the SQLyog sessions.

It never crashes during query execusion or other operation. It always hapens in the background, or when I switch back to the SQLyog with Alt-Tab.

peterlaursen
      Participant

This issue came together with the SQLyog sessions”.  This is also what we suspect. But we have not yet identified the conditions triggering it.  We have one more simliar report (this one on a Wine beta version).

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.