Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Show Table Results In Text

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Show Table Results In Text

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      ronjeremy_69
      Participant

SQLYog has an impressive pace of improvement. Ritesh does a great job of constantly improving it!

Unfortunately a pretty simple option, “Show Table Data In Text”, which I requested almost a year ago has fallen by the wayside (it was supposed to be included in 4.1?). As a developer/coder who deals heavily with text and hundreds of tables, it would dramatically increase my productivity to be able to just single-click on a table and have the data displayed as text instead of in the grid. Im sure there are many other users out there who would also greatly appreciate it.

Ideally SQLYog would also remember this preference so I dont have to set it every time i launch SQLYog (currently SQLYog won't remember if I've previously checked “Show Results In Text”)

This feature would be such a help, I am more than willing to pay for an increase in it's priority. Ritesh let me know what you think would be a fair price and I will gladly PayPal in advance.

CalEvans
      ronjeremy_69 wrote on May 23 2006, 05:24 PM:
      SQLYog has an impressive pace of improvement. Ritesh does a great job of constantly improving it!

Unfortunately a pretty simple option, “Show Table Results In Text”, which I requested almost a year ago has fallen by the wayside (it was supposed to be included in 4.1?). As a developer/coder who deals heavily with text and hundreds of tables, it would dramatically increase my productivity to be able to just single-click on a table and have the data displayed as text instead of in the grid. Im sure there are many other users out there who would also greatly appreciate it.

I know I've got to be missing somehting because CTRL+L workes in everything but the “Table Data” pane.

Select * from mytable;

F5 and then CTRL+L and I can copy and paste away.

As I said, I know I'm missing somthing here.

(Ritesh, it would be nice if Table Data honored the CTRL+L switch and I agree with Ron that it would be nice if SQLYOG remembered this setting across reboots.)

=C=

ronjeremy_69
      Participant
      CalEvans wrote on May 23 2006, 05:30 PM:
      I know I've got to be missing somehting because CTRL+L workes in everything but the “Table Data” pane.

Select * from mytable;

F5 and then CTRL+L and I can copy and paste away.

As I said, I know I'm missing somthing here.

(Ritesh, it would be nice if Table Data honored the CTRL+L switch and I agree with Ron that it would be nice if SQLYOG remembered this setting across reboots.)

=C=

CTRL+L only works on queries you are executing in the Query Editor. The feature I am requesting would require absolutely nothing to be in the Query Editor in order to see the table data. Currently, SQLYog can already do the one-click-show-tabledata by clicking on a table –> table data shows in “Table Data” in a grid. The option I am requesting would behave almost the exact same way, except “Table Data” would show the data as text instead of in grid.

peterlaursen
      Participant

@ron

I think we all understand that you and probably others as well request that feature! Since it is not implemented it most likely is not so easy. Might involve quite a lot of restructuring of the data structures and code 'behind' the DATA tab.

What about a keyboard shortcut (CTRL + * ??) that executes 'SELECT * FROM current_table (and maybe using a LIMIT too)' and opens it in a RESULT tab. That could probably be implemented easily. Combined with another pending request that it should be possible to 'freeze' a RESULT tab (or make it 'sticky' if you like), I think you get what you need?

Actually CTRL + * could use LIMIT and CTRL + SHIFT + * could use NO LIMIT.

Comment?

ronjeremy_69
      Participant
      peterlaursen wrote on May 23 2006, 06:06 PM:
      @ron

I think we all understand that you and probably others as well request that feature! Since it is not implemented it most likely is not so easy. Might involve quite a lot of restructuring of the data structures and code 'behind' the DATA tab.

What about a keyboard shortcut (CTRL + * ??) that executes 'SELECT * FROM current_table (and maybe using a LIMIT too)' and opens it in a RESULT tab. That could probably be implemented easily. Combined with another pending request that it should be possible to 'freeze' a RESULT tab (or make it 'sticky' if you like), I think you get what you need?

Actually CTRL + * could use LIMIT and CTRL + SHIFT + * could use NO LIMIT.

Comment?

good ideas, but there are a couple important points being missed. the first is one-click functionality — a keyboard shortcut solution would require two steps: one to first click on the table, and another to execute hotkey). The secont point is that browsing several table's data as text should not “dirty-up” the query editor with a bunch of “SELECT *” statements. it needs to happen in such a way that the query editor is unafected.

peterlaursen
      Participant

1)

“a keyboard shortcut solution would require two steps”

you need to move – else you will become FAT 😀

2)

” it needs to happen in such a way that the query editor is unafected.”

That is obvious, in my opinion. It will be written to HISTORY however.

There is another problem however, and that is that 'show results in text' is a GLOBAL setting – not a per-tab setting. Actually this has annoyed me a little before (I am a mouse user and absolutely not a keyboard user).

Now let us see if Ritesh has some ideas and comments tomorrow.

Ritesh

It is not very difficult to implement but then we will not be able to provide features like filtering(planned in one of the future versions), sorting etc. as there will be no column headers to work with.

peterlaursen
      Participant

@ritesh

I guess that applies to RESULT tab in text mode too? A workaround could be to convert to non-text in the background, do the filtering, and convert to text again.

Situation is that Ron requests a 'show table in text' or a reasonable substitute.

And I request 'show in text' be a per-tab setting and an option to make a RESULT-tab 'sticky', so that it won't disappear or change (neither it's content or its style) when another query is being run.

And CalEvans request that GLOBAL 'show results -style' be written to the .ini file, so that program remembers the setting between boots.

ronjeremy_69
      Participant
      Ritesh wrote on May 24 2006, 03:14 AM:
      It is not very difficult to implement but then we will not be able to provide features like filtering(planned in one of the future versions), sorting etc. as there will be no column headers to work with.

sorting in text mode would be nice, but i can certainly do without it. I wouldn't expect that feature to be available in text mode anyway. I would imagine it would behave just like the results-pane: in grid mode the column headers, checkboxes, “copy to clipboard”, etc buttons are available, but by turning on “Show Results in Text” they disappear.

Ritesh

Hmmmm….

Sounds interesting. Prolly, we will implement this in v5.3.

ronjeremy_69
      Participant
      Ritesh wrote on May 25 2006, 05:35 AM:
      Hmmmm….

Sounds interesting. Prolly, we will implement this in v5.3.

Could I convince you to include it in v5.14 for $100?

Ritesh

I was just about to give the same suggestion as Cal Evans but it looks like he has already replied. Right now you can get the same effect using 3 keyboard steps.

Select the table in object browser.

1.) Press Ctrl+Shift+S, this will write the correct SELECT statement for you in the query editor.

2.) Press F5, to execute the query.

3.) Press Ctrl+L to change the data to text.

Ritesh
      ronjeremy_69 wrote on May 26 2006, 08:52 PM:
      Could I convince you to include it in v5.14 for $100?

Thank you very much for your offer, but I am sorry that we will not be able to deliver it. There are several reasons:

Firstly, we are simply “overbooked”. We are going thru a major re-factoring exercise and there is a complete “feature-freeze” of the code-base for the next 2-3 weeks. The 5.1x line is for critical bug fixes only. 5.2 will have a completely refactored core! Believe me, this is major refactoring…we are rewriting the string handling class!

Secondly, we don't accept “sponsored” development or “custom” development. If the past, we have been politely refusing fairly large custom/sponsored developments. Right now, we don't have the infrastructure, manpower or the processes to do something of that sort. I know it is not rocket science but the company is not geared up for the “pressure” of delivering something specifically for someone within a certain period of time ( because you have collected money! ). The current model is heavily skewed towards “shrink-wrapped” software development – keep the licensing cost extremely low and sell thousands of copies.

Thirdly, as a part of the refactoring exercise, we are working towards providing a model by which custom development is possible in SQLyog by third party developers. Expect some big announcements from us in this regard 🙂

Last and not the least, I have just increased the priority of this feature in our to-do list!

ronjeremy_69
      Participant
      Ritesh wrote on May 29 2006, 12:10 PM:
      Last and not the least, I have just increased the priority of this feature in our to-do list!

One year (and six months) later, still waiting patiently.

Single-Click a table, table data appears as text (instead of in grid). That's all im looking for. One small option. Please try to make it happen!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.