Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Schema Synchronization Tool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      ssaunders_2k

I am currently in the testing stages prior to a major database update for one of our products, and have been using the Schema Synchronization power tool to create a script of the database schema changes.

I noticed that where there are multiple INDEX, FOREIGN KEY, CONSTRAINTS changes per table that the schema syncronization tool is including them in the script as individual ALTER TABLE commands – rather than batching them together into a single ALTER TABLE command. While this isn't really an issue for small tables, we do have a couple of tables with 10million+ rows and a single ALTER TABLE command takes 15-20 minutes (MySQL 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.8-log). One particular table has 5 foreign key constraints to be added to it, and the schema sync tool has 5 ALTER table commands listed, which when executed separately as per the generated script takes 1hr 30 minutes – whereas manually combining them into a single ALTER TABLE command only takes 15 minutes. A huge difference.

Just wondering if it's by design that the schema sync tool is doing things this way – and if it would at all be feasible to have an option to batch alter table commands together ?

Thanks,

Steve

Version Used = SQLyog Ultimate v 9.61

peterlaursen
      Participant

You posted the same to our ticket system wher I replied “There is no particular reason other than the tool could be smarter in this respect. We will discuss how much effort it would take and when we can 'push in' this.”

I ask you to use either the Forums or the ticket system and not both, For the simple reason that if replies occur randomly multiple places it will be easy to overlook something. We will continue in the ticket system unless your prefer to continue here.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.