Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Reverse Engineer Db Schema

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog Comments Reverse Engineer Db Schema

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Pieter

Hi,

I am new to websql client and was wondering if it has the ability to reverse engineer a database schema from MySQL?

Thanks!

ashwin

Hi Pieter,

Quote:
      I am new to websql client and was wondering if it has the ability to reverse engineer a database schema from MySQL?

Unfortunately reverse engineering is not possible.

You may save a Query Builder session and open it later. But the format used for saving is SQLyog's own/private XML-based format and not SQL. And same applies for the Schema Designer.

Should we support opening a SQL statement in SQLyog Query Builder it would require a SQL-parser inside SQLyog. The parser that is part of the server cannot be accessed directly (only by executing a statement the parser code will execute). Also for legal/license reasons we also cannot copy and link the the parser code from the server into SQLyog even if we wanted to. It would also be very difficult to handle some subtle differences in some respects between different MySQL versions (for instance 'serialized joins' behave a little different in some cases with different MySQL versions depending on the syntax used).

In MySQL *SQL parsing* is (and has to be done) server-side. And therefore, it is not a job for the client.

Thanks for using SQLyog.

Regards,

Ashwin A

peterlaursen
      Participant

I think in this context it would be more relevant to say that “You may save a Schema Designer session and open it later … “

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.