Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Request: Show # Columns And # Tables

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Request: Show # Columns And # Tables

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      DAE51D

Please put the number of “items” in parenthesis next to each tree branch.

For example see the screenshot I modified attached.

Next to the “Tables” put the number of tables below that branch.

Next to the “Columns” put the number of columns that table has.

Next to “Indexes” put the number of indexes that table has.

Next to “Stored Procs” put the number of stored proceedures that DB has.

If something is empty, like “Views”, then don't put the [+] icon — it's just confusing and misleading.

nithin

Hello,

The suggested feature costs more, in terms of query and time.

When you expand a 'database' node in the tree(called as object-browser), you could see the parent nodes such as 'Tables', 'Views', 'Functions', etc with [+} icon. While expanding the Database node SQLyog doesn't know whether the tables (or other objects) are present for the database, it comes to know these details only when expanding the 'Tables' node(I mean it issues query to find the tables details).

This is how its implemented otherwise while expanding database itself we should issue queries to get info for tables, views, etc and it's time consuming. So queries for 'Tables' are issued only while expanding tables, queries for 'Views' are issued only while expanding 'Views', and etc

Also I agree its confusing to keep [+] sign if contains no item, but the reason is same as I explained above.

Thank you

Nithin

Rohit

We had auto-expand everything in the 1st version of SQLyog (in 2002).

Then we changed it to expand on demand. Some users reported 1000x increase in speed!

DAE51D

Well, first of all, if speed is an issue, then make it an option/preference. I'd rather trade a few microseconds of speed for this convenience. Basically it's just a “DESCRIBE TABLE” on each table to get the number of columns. Seems pretty simple and cheap to me. Especially on a development database which is usually local or a VM or on a high-speed LAN.

Another acceptable solution is to populate the (#) part once a table's [+] has been expanded. As soon as I expand the “Tables” [+] then you know I have x tables, so have your code go back and populate the top “Tables (x)” title element — surely you can do this trivially. Same logic for any table I expand. Once I expand it, then you have a free count of how many columns.

Not only would it add the feature, but it also gives a free “clue” of which tables I've expanded already and which ones I'm probably using. As I expand and collapse the tree nodes, it's easier to jump and expand tables I've already opened since they'd be all the ones with a (x) next to their names. I'd say like 80% or more of your DB work is within like 3 or 4 tables, not your entire database. Easy to scan with the eye, especially if you were to color code it maybe in a shade of gray or the blue like the icon next to the name.

You could be really nice and maybe add a Right+CLICK menu item to “expand all” and “collapse all” — and this would accomplish the original feature requested if you implemented it as described here, because then by that one simple action, I get a tally of all the tables.

I think this solution proposed solves all problems.

Rohit
      'DAE51D' wrote on '07:

Well, first of all, if speed is an issue, then make it an option/preference. I'd rather trade a few microseconds of speed for this convenience. Basically it's just a “DESCRIBE TABLE” on each table to get the number of columns. Seems pretty simple and cheap to me. Especially on a development database which is usually local or a VM or on a high-speed LAN.

Another acceptable solution is to populate the (#) part once a table's [+] has been expanded. As soon as I expand the “Tables” [+] then you know I have x tables, so have your code go back and populate the top “Tables (x)” title element — surely you can do this trivially. Same logic for any table I expand. Once I expand it, then you have a free count of how many columns.

Not only would it add the feature, but it also gives a free “clue” of which tables I've expanded already and which ones I'm probably using. As I expand and collapse the tree nodes, it's easier to jump and expand tables I've already opened since they'd be all the ones with a (x) next to their names. I'd say like 80% or more of your DB work is within like 3 or 4 tables, not your entire database. Easy to scan with the eye, especially if you were to color code it maybe in a shade of gray or the blue like the icon next to the name.

You could be really nice and maybe add a Right+CLICK menu item to “expand all” and “collapse all” — and this would accomplish the original feature requested if you implemented it as described here, because then by that one simple action, I get a tally of all the tables.

I think this solution proposed solves all problems.

Thanks for the suggestions. Some of them are great feature requests. We will add it to our wish-list. Our plate is full for the next 8 weeks.

Aparna

Hi,

I have added your request in our issue tracker. Refer to the link below to view the same:

http://code.google.com/p/sqlyog/issues/detail?id=1416

Right now the priority is not set for this issue and we will update you once we start working on this.

Thank You.

Regards,

Aparna

Khushboo

Hi,

We have released SQLyog 8.61 with this feature:

“INFO tab/HTML mode now displays a count of each type of database objects.”

Please refer to:

http://www.webyog.com/blog/2010/09/02/sqlyog-mysql-gui-8-61-released/

Instead of showing the Database object's count in “Object Browser”, we are displaying it in “INFO Tab”. I hope this solves your concern.

Thank You.

Regards,

Khushboo

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.