Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

[Request] Option For Location Of Info & Data Tabs

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests [Request] Option For Location Of Info & Data Tabs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      AndrewB

While I understand the rationale behind moving the Info tab (& upcoming move of the Data tab per the release notes), it was really useful to me to have it in the previous location, down alongside the Messages/Results tabs. I typically reference the Table Info when writing a query, so it will really hamper my efforts to not be able to see both tabs at once. Ditto for the Table Data – it's great to be able to work with the data while composing a query.

So, I'd propose the following: maybe default the tabs to the top but allow the user to move them back to the location alongside Results/Messages through a Preferences setting?

Thanks for your work on this great program,

Andrew

[Edit] Here are the relevant links to the original change:

Forum request to move tab

Google Code issue

peterlaursen
      Participant

There is no chance that we will revert this. It is non-trivial to change. It is not only a matter of adding a preference (what is simple) but if affects the whole C++ class-inheritance structure of the program code. It is simply not possible to have both options with the same code (or the code would be '2 different programs in one'). Actually you will soon (in around 1 months)also see the DATA tab more to same (upper) position. Once INFO and DATA are in same position I think it will be less confusing. It was basically incorrect that INFO and HISTORy (and DATA) was displayed as 'children' of a query. They are not. They are 'children' of current Obejct Browser selection.

Please give it a try to get used to it. Such changes are always initially inconvenient, I know. But I believe that users after a short while will find navigation in the program more logical.

AndrewB

Thanks for the quick response! I understand the rationale for the purposes of navigation/logic, but my problem is that I then cannot easily see the table schema(s) when composing queries in the query editor. Is there something I'm missing or a different way to view it (besides expanding the database/table/columns in the object browser – that seems unwieldy)?

Thanks again,

Andrew

peterlaursen
      Participant

“I then cannot easily see the table schema(s) when composing queries in the query editor”. Ok, let us discuss this.

santouras

Hi,

I know this is an older thread, but I have to say, I've registered here just to say that I cannot, cannot stand having the info tab in the same spot as the query writer. I too always write queries with the info tab open so I can reference the table schema. As a super long time user of SQLYog, I have to say this is the first change that has had me tearing my hair out and checking around for older versions to roll back to, because this is close to a deal breaker.

peterlaursen
      Participant

Please read the comment that I wrote to our blog as late as yesterday: http://www.webyog.co…eased/#comments

We do intend to make tabs moveable (both preferences settings and drag'n'drop are options). But we need to complete the 'revamp' of the code that has been in progress since version 9.5. This will result in DATA tab moving to upper position as well. Only at that time the mutual dependencies of the code behind every tab has been 'relaxed' so that we can start moving tabs around.

santouras

Thanks so much, awesome to hear this development is taking place.

AndrewB

That's great news, thanks!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.