Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Remote Connection Over Lan

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog Remote Connection Over Lan

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      fbrewer

I have mysql running on computer 1.

Computer 1 is called naasf1, with naasf1 having the ip address of 192.168.1.116

Computer 2 is called naasf2, and both computers are on the same LAN (NAASFLAN)

I have sqlyog installed on naasf2, and I want to remotely connect over the LAN to the mysql database on naasf1.

I have set up a user called naasf2 with password naasf2

I keep getting error 2003 when I attempt to remotely connect to the mysql database.

I've tried the following host names with no successful results:

naasf1

//naasf1

//naasf1/localhost

What am I doing wrong?

peterlaursen
      Participant
      fbrewer

It was a firewall issue with AVG.

I created an exception on port 3306, and I am now able to connect?

What are the downsides to allowing port 3306 to be open when I am connected to the internet?

Thanks

Frank

peterlaursen
      Participant

As the port is open the OS will allow requests on that port to be handled by the server program listening on that port (what is MySQL).  When the MySQL 'service' starts Windows will know that all incoming communication on that port shall be routed to the MySQL server.  Next the MySQL server will handle all such requests.

Server programs act on demand/on request.  They do not initiate any action themselves. So if the shall be of any use it is required that client programs are allow to send a requests to initiate an action. That requires some kind of open communication 'channel' (a port, a named pipe or whatever). If you don't have such communication open option the server is no use with clients connecting from other machines. 

So you will have to decide if you trust if the MySQL server will handle illegal requests properly …

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.