Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Reading Encrypted Mysql Database?

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog Reading Encrypted Mysql Database?

Tagged: 

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      iceman
      Participant

I use SQLyog Enterprise to manage my database – love it, so easy to use!

I’m now at the point where I might consider encrypting the data in my database, probably using AES_ENCRYPT.

It I did so then surely SQLyog would lose a lot of its usefulness as all I would see is the encrypted data.

Is there some way to have SQLyog sort of ‘automatically’ decrypt and encrypt data (using a given key) so that I could view, edit and add to my database without needing to know that the data in it is actually encrypted?

peterlaursen
      Participant

Is there some way to have SQLyog sort of ‘automatically’ decrypt and encrypt data?”

Short answer is NO. SQLyog will display what is stored in the database (unles you SELECT AES_DECRYPT(..) etc., of course).  And there is further one more problem.  An encryption algorithm may result in a string containing the NULL-byte (X00) and such data would be identified as binary data. And you should use binary datatypes (VARBINARY not VARCHAR and not at all numerical types) for storage if you really want to do this.

We have discussed many years ago to implement such feature, but decided that it would not be a solid business case for us.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.