Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Re: The Feature Set Of Sqlyog 5.1

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Re: The Feature Set Of Sqlyog 5.1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      ronjeremy_69
      Participant

Just curious — will it also include “Show Table Data In Text” option? 🙂

> Version 5.1 will be shipped in Feb’ 2006 and will implement

> the following features:

>

> — Auto-completion of MySQL objects in the query editor.

> — Advanced bookmark system to manage your favorite SQL files.

> — Structure sync will support MySQL 5.x objects, Foreign

> Keys and the Order-of-Columns within a table.

> — Optimized table data option with better support to handle

> default values, CURRENT_TIMESTAMP etc.

>

> The first beta is a couple of weeks away!

CalEvans
      ronjeremy_69 wrote on Jan 19 2006, 06:35 PM:
      Just curious — will it also include “Show Table Data In Text” option?  🙂

I'm confused. You mean like CTRL-L? Or is there something more?

=C=

ronjeremy_69
      Participant
      Quote:
      I'm confused. You mean like CTRL-L? Or is there something more?

See this older thread for details:

http://www.webyog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1532

peterlaursen
      Participant

I feel like to repeat myself <_< I do not understand why this is so important! It is so easy to issue a 'select *' and have results shown in text from RESULT-pane. With the most recent SQLyog's it is event more simple then before: you can right-click a table and paste a select statement. I also ABSOLUTELY don't understand that anyone has the need to have a COMPLETE TABLE shown in text. But they can from RESULT -pane if they want. To me it would be fine if Ritesh declared that this will not be implemented for the near future. There a hundreds of requests pending that are more important to spend time with in my opinion. Should I request something it would be that a similar popup-menu item was available for VIEWs.

ronjeremy_69
      Participant
      peterlaursen wrote on Jan 20 2006, 01:47 AM:
      I feel like to repeat myself  <_< I do not understand why this is so important!  It is so easy to issue a 'select *' and have results shown in text from RESULT-pane.  With the most recent SQLyog's it is event more simple then before: you can right-click a table and paste a select statement. I also ABSOLUTELY don't understand that anyone has the need to have a COMPLETE TABLE shown in text.  But they can from RESULT -pane if they want. To me it would be fine if Ritesh declared that this will not be implemented for the near future.  There a hundreds of requests pending that are more important to spend time with in my opinion. Should I request something it would be that a similar popup-menu item was available for VIEWs.

[post=”8525″]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I couldn't disagree more. For a light user who issues maybe ten or twenty queries a day, sure Peter's way is fine. But for a professional developer, who has over 90 databases and thousands of tables, and who needs to look at different table data hundreds or even thousands of times per day in the development process, it is ESSENTIAL to be able to just click on a table and have it displayed as text with ONE CLICK. The issue here is SPEED and EFFICIENCY. For development work, it is often much faster to see the entire table and browse to some records of interest than it is to type a select…where query.

I like my query editor nice and clean with queries that I actually need. I shouldn't have to paste hundred's of select * statements that ill probably only use once.

There are two main reasons for text: The first and foremost is that the text output is several orders of magnitude faster to scroll and navigate than the grid, especially when you have more records than the buffer is showing. The second is that text-based display allows you to selectively highlight and copy adjacent fields to the clipboard, whereas copying text with the grid is cumbersone.

These little things amount to hours of time saved for heavy database professionals. There isnt a feature tht would be more valuable than an option “Show Table Data In Text”

peterlaursen
      Participant

Thank you for categorizing me as a 'light user' 😎

Quote:
      There isnt a feature tht would be more valuable than an option “Show Table Data In Text”

Well, I think I could mention a few …

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.