Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Rc1 Bugs And Suggestions

forums forums Monyog Monyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Rc1 Bugs And Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      brashquido

Hi guys,

Very impressed with 1.0 RC1, I especially like the email feature that details problem areas with MySQL and emails them to you at set intervals. Genius!

Anyway, I have a few suggestions as well as an issue when installing RC1 as below;

1) Missing DLL on W2K3 Server. I can't remember the name now, but there was a missing DLL file reported during installation when the command window is displayed. I'll post the DLL name when I get home tonight.

2) Ability to use existing webserver to view details from an existing webserver (IIS, Apache, etc)? I would like to be able to intergrate MonYog with my exisitng IIS server so that I can view the status of my MySQL server from anywhere, as well as have greater control on access an be able to secure it with SSL.

3) Analysis of log files. At the moment MonYog looks at only the live status of a MySQL server. Inparticular I am thinking about the slow query log, especially when logging tables with no indexes option is set. The problem I have (and I'm sure any other server environment with multiple web apps and databases) with scanning my logs for slow/non indexed queries is that there are literally tens of thousands of entries, and at present I am using a few scripts to try and collate that so that I only see each slow/non indexed query once with a count of how many times that query has occured. Would it be possible to be able to put some basic log parsing into MonYog so that it could so something like this?

4) When opening MonYog you have to select a server every time. Would it be possible to be able to select a default server that MonYog connects to when starting up?

Rohit
      brashquido wrote on Jul 31 2007, 07:09 PM:
      Hi guys,

Very impressed with 1.0 RC1, I especially like the email feature that details problem areas with MySQL and emails them to you at set intervals. Genius!

Thanks!

1) Missing DLL on W2K3 Server. I can't remember the name now, but there was a missing DLL file reported during installation when the command window is displayed. I'll post the DLL name when I get home tonight.

We have tested it extensively on Win2K3 but will test it again on Win2K3. What is the Service Pack version? The DLL name would be very helpful.

2) Ability to use existing webserver to view details from an existing webserver (IIS, Apache, etc)? I would like to be able to intergrate MonYog with my exisitng IIS server so that I can view the status of my MySQL server from anywhere, as well as have greater control on access an be able to secure it with SSL.

No plans right now – but interesting idea. You can still view your MySQL server from “anywhere” using MONyog web-server. We decided to write our own HTTP server from scratch to make the installation dead-simple! Other monitoring tools install Apache, Tomcat, PHP, JDK and ask 40 questions before getting started 😉

3) Analysis of log files. At the moment MonYog looks at only the live status of a MySQL server. Inparticular I am thinking about the slow query log, especially when logging tables with no indexes option is set. The problem I have (and I'm sure any other server environment with multiple web apps and databases) with scanning my logs for slow/non indexed queries is that there are literally tens of thousands of entries, and at present I am using a few scripts to try and collate that so that I only see each slow/non indexed query once with a count of how many times that query has occured. Would it be possible to be able to put some basic log parsing into MonYog so that it could so something like this?

Already working on this! Pls. wait for Version 2.

4) When opening MonYog you have to select a server every time. Would it be possible to be able to select a default server that MonYog connects to when starting up?

We do retain the selected servers across sessions. Am I missing something? You can directly go to “Show All”, “Dashboard”, etc.

brashquido

Ok, the missing DLL was msvcr71.dll. This is a 4 day old install of Windows 2003 Standard Server running SP2. I grabbed the missing DLL of the internet and it seems to be working fine now.

I can certainly understand why you included your own webserver, but on the same hand I would imagine anyone wanting to monitor the performance of their MySQL server is probably a little more tech savvy than your average bear. I could be wrong though 🙂 . For my server I only allow two open ports for web traffic, Port 80 and 443. This is to reduce my attack surface, and as IIS is bound to these ports I can't run MonYog on either of them. Another point is that I access the Internet through a proxy server a lot of the time which only allows port 80 and 443 as well.

Great news about the log parsing 🙂 ! Did you mean wait for Version 2 or RC2 😉 … just kidding…

Don't worry about this last one, I can't seem to replicate it now….

peterlaursen
      Participant

Using another webserver also introduces the problem about how that webserver shall connect to MySQL. We will need PHP, ASP(.NET) or JSP then.

MONyog object Model uses the C-API to populate Objects that can be mainpulated JavaScript only. That is simplicity and efficiency!

The only solution I can see (if you absolutely do not want to open an additional port) is to 'pipe' MONyog output to a normal webserver. But that would require MONyog installed on every server .. and that we also wanted to avoid! And I do not know

if it can be done on Windows.

MONyog is 'locked' display the MONyog webpages. It does not accept any other requests. I do not understand how you could fear opening a port for MONyog as long as you dare open one for IIS … 😉

brashquido

PHP would certainly be the most portable of those platforms wouldn't it? Not sure if you guys are wanting to break into larger environments with MonYog at all, but I think having a web application that can be intergrated into existing infrastructure would definately help you here. I've worked in IT for over a decade, and the last 4 of that have been in some fairly big environments in their webhosting areas (banks, microprocessor manufacturers, etc) and I can tell you that you'll be fighting an uphill battle to get into these environments. Not because there is anything wrong with your product, but rather no internal IT team will take ownership or support of it when it operates outside their exiting infrastructure.

Then again, all big business I've worked for use Oracle or MSSQL, so probably not really an issue anyway 🙂 . Still, would be high on my wish list anyway as ultimately the fewer apps that are Internet facing the better. And that rule is regardless of size 😉 . I might have to revisit opening up a port for MonYog and just tie it down with some IPSEC policies. For your information too, IIS 6 is one of the most secure webservers out there at present, and last time I looked there had been only 2 SAN security issues with it in 4 years. Mind you, lets just not talk about any version prior to IIS 6 😉 .

P.S – What price will MonYog be? Will there be any cost advantages for early adopters 🙂 ?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.