Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Query Builder Not Updating

forums forums SQLyog Query Builder and Schema Designer Query Builder Not Updating

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      biotech

Hi there,

It has been, seems like, million yrs since I have used yog and nice to see all the improvements.

I am looking into Ultimate version 8.21 and noticed a few things but I am not sure if these are as intended or just bugs.

When working with Query Builder:

1. and pasting or manually editing created query the visual builder does not visually create tables and relationships?!

2. and selecting/dragging columns …there is no visual indicator on the table to show what columns are selected?

3. results – I can not seem to find a way to filter/search through query Results ( I see the Filter menu but it is grayed out as well as there is no option to type in the “value” of choice.

In other words Query Builder seems rather “one directional”.

Again, apologies if these are just bugs (I hope) rather than shortcomings of the query builder.

Thank you kindly,

Mahesh

Thanks for your valuable feedback.

1. and pasting or manually editing created query the visual builder does not visually create tables and relationships?

— Currently it is not possible to edit a query and reflect the changes to Query builder UI.

And also you can copy query to New tab and edit there but the changes will not be shown in QB because Query tab and QB tab are different.

BTW: Soon we are planning to release QB save/load feature, which will Save a QB layout along with query and Load layout with the same.

This feature is in development stage, We are planning to release first beta probably within 2-3 weeks.

2. and selecting/dragging columns …there is no visual indicator on the table to show what columns are selected?

— Yes.. currently only source column gets highlighted not the target column.

QB will highlight target column on focus, this we have added in our TODO list.

3. results – I can not seem to find a way to filter/search through query Results ( I see the Filter menu but it is grayed out as well as there is no option to type in the “value” of choice.

— Currently Sorting and filtering of rows is possible in “Table data” tab only.

Also Sorting on result set feature is in development stage and filtering of rows in Result tab we will do after this feature.

biotech

Thank you Mahesh for getting back to me.

While these features may seem trivial they do improve the work-flow and cut down on the dev/testing time.

4. I have also seen a thread/request for having connections listed within the same window. This would be very desirable feature.

Ultimately, do we know when these features might see the production version?

Thanks again for the attention to this thread.

peterlaursen
      Participant

1) There are  principal reasons a) SQLyog QB only supports a subset of SQL and 😎 there is no SQL-parser in SQLyog and we do not intend to try creating one.  We believe the only SQL-parser doing a good job is the one that is built-in the server. 

2)+3) Soon-coming features listed by Mahesh will be available in 2-4 weeks.

4) We will provide a 'some kind of tabbed' interface for the connection windows (if you know the difference it will be more like the Opera Browser than the FireFox browser). Expected timeframe for this around 5-6 weeks.

biotech

Thanks peterlaursen,

I will keep an eye out on the new versions coming out; nothing oppressing.

One reason I find “SQL-parser” handy is when looking at the old queries or queries that someone else has handed me.

Generally I would pull a clean sheet of paper and reconstruct it myself based on the query…what can I say, visual representation goes a long ways for me and as such is a big time saver. But it seems like working backwards so it would be nice to have rather than always trying to figure out everything from 'lineitems' table/view or results query.On the other hand I see the pitfalls of application parsing of sql rather than server. 🙂

To be quite honest (sorry to compare) I would love an application that is a hybrid between SQLyog and Navicat. At least for my 'web/db related' needs. But I have history with SQLyog and the reason why I am looking at it as a primary solution before looking elsewhere.

Either way, thanks for catching this thread and I will certainly check back to see the new goodies in the upcoming version.

Thanks again for your time!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.