Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Progress Indicator Very Much Wanted

forums forums SQLyog Sync tools, Migration, Scheduled Backup and Notifications Progress Indicator Very Much Wanted

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      peterlaursen
      Participant

Now working on a data sync with 400.000 rows estimated to run for hours, testing the effiency of different and options (Ritesh knows what I am working on!) I very much miss some kind of progress indicator … just a primitive one. Migration/ODBC inport has. Why not DATA SYNC?

Implementation Idea:

1) start sending a 'select count(*) from table where (using )'

2) now it should be possible to display '1% 2% etc of rows for the table fetched'

peterlaursen
      Participant

And I also VERY MUCH would like to be able to minimize a SQLyog instance when a sync is running. It is the same problem that we discussed before, that the popup windows steal focus from the main program window.

It is ANNOYING. Workaround is of course to use a Virtual Desktop manager.

Ritesh

Added in the TO-DO list.

TomBez

Hi,

this should be a feature to be actived or deactivated, so that if you use it for larger databases (rowcount >10M) you won't have to wait for a select count(*).

regards

intel352

just a quick point, please optimize the SELECT COUNT so that it counts the PK only, to avoid needless extra data being called (SELECT COUNT(PRIMARY_KEY_NAME), instead of SELECT COUNT(*) )

peterlaursen
      Participant

@Intel352

Are you sure that makes any difference?

I just tested with my chess database with + 4 mio. rows

Code:
      /*four queries below that return the same value: '4150229'*/

/* 1 */ select count(*) from game as no_s;
      /* 2 */ select count(id) from game as no_s;
      /*these two are both instantaneous – '0 ms taken'
      – are you able to get different results with some table of yours? */

/*however using the DISTINCT clause slows down things a lot – approx 30 seconds*/
      /* 3 */ select count(distinct id) from game;

/*using a subquery is better for some reason */
      /* 4 */ select count(*) from (select distinct id from game) as no_s;
      /*takes about 10 seconds*/

Now I'll have to ask developers if SJA DATA SYNC uses DISTINCT.

If there is a PK there should be no need to!

MuphoOx

hey peter,

I'd like to know if there is any proress about the progress bar … i know it's an old post, but it's just to have some news about it.

peterlaursen
      Participant

yup ..

we have decided that we will spend the necessary time with this before releasing 5.2 FINAL. We estimate it to delay the FINAL thing 1-2 days.

A 'progress bar' (understood as numbers, percentages etc.) is not possible for technical reasons, but there will be SIGN OF ACTIVITY like 'fetching checksums' .. 'updating rows' etc.

MuphoOx

yeah sure!

It will be not so easy to put a percentage prograss bar ! but anyway, any sign of activity will be helpful 🙂 Thx.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.