Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Postgresql Support Expected?

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Postgresql Support Expected?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      rani

I've just started to use the webyog product and so far I am pretty impressed. One thing that I'm looking for is a tool that offers the ability to work with both mysql and PostgreSQL. Navicat has support for both (via two distinct products). I've searched here and found fitful mention of PostgreSQL support but mostly by end users as requests. Could someone at sqlyog comment? Will there be a product for PostgreSQL? If not, it does not mean I won't end up buying your product, but it would be a major plus if I knew that PostgreSQL was in the works.

Thanks

peterlaursen
      Participant

The official statement in the FAQ:

http://www.webyog.com/faq/32_65_en.html

peterlaursen
      Participant

A personal comment.

I don't know very much about Postgresql. But I do think I know that the internal structures (for handling of METADATA especially) of MySQL and PostgreSQl are very different. I think it will be very difficult to support both from identical GUIs.

rani

OK, thanks, I didn't really expect it to be an idential interface. If the company had more resources it'd be 'just another task', but for sure a major one. I'm not all that familiar with your existing product yet but there are so many positives that I immediately hoped that I could take advantage of the same line with postgres.

Thanks anyways.

peterlaursen
      Participant
      Quote:
      If the company had more resources …

Exactly! But as of now the ABSOLUTE 1st priority is complete unicode support in Data Management and Program's Appearance. Also a cross-platform release (native Windoes, Linux and Mac-OS-X) is higher priority than support for other databases.

resources >> read: revenue! There is no 'piling up' of money here. Every dime earned goes into to continued development! The more people that buy, the faster development. There is no problems in getting qualified people for the office in Bangalore!

peterlaursen
      Participant

Just let me add that SQLyog makes extensive use of MySQL SHOW statement, which I don't believe Postgresql or any other RDMS support. So it would be an almost complete rewrite of everything.

rani

I'm sure you guys are doing the smart thing and that has to be good.

Hopefully you end up with plenty of 'resources'! At least might Postgres represent another good option for what to work on next.

peterlaursen
      Participant

😀

Actually there is a C-connector available for Postgresql, so it it not impossible! But it is a lot of work! And quite a new world for everyone at Webyog

Ritesh

SQLyog Max (under development) has been designed to support multiple-db starting with MySQL and PostGreSQL.

The first BETA (which is not available for PUBLIC anymore) supported both MySQL and PostgreSQL.

We are currently working on it but I am not sure whether support for non-MySQL db will be continued or not.

rani

Interesting, well, I'll keep my eye peeled for any news on the max version.

EllisGL

I know what it says in the FAQ, but would like to see other DB support too.

peterlaursen
      Participant

Problem is that to populate the GUI interface, we will need to query the server about 'metadata'. We mainly use SHOW statements for that. SHOW is a non-standard extension to SQL, only supported by MySQL.

Currently there is no actvity supporting other RDMS.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.