Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

New WIN-installer for Mysql

forums forums New WIN-installer for Mysql

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      peterlaursen
      Participant

MySQL just released MySQL 3.1.5 (gamma). With it comes a new installer. It also introduces a new default concept of where to install the server binaries (program filesmysql and not c:mysgl) and a new organization of the windows' registry keys used by MySQL. It all seems to be a reasonable bringing things up-to-date.

However in my case it won't work. I uninstall previous version, install 3.1.5, run the configuration wizard and concludingly start the server. So far so good. However my base is somewhere else in the directory tree, so I'll have to edit the my.cnf file. I cant do that using Notepad (or another text-editor) or MySQLAdministrator. For the changes to take effekt I must stop and restart the server. BUT AFTER HAVING BEEN STOPPED, the server won't start again. Error message something like “Can't connect to server instance”. I can start the configurator, and start the server as before but still then it is the standard path to the data-dir that's active and that's no use …

Also after a reboot I can't connecct to the server using either MySQLAdministrator, SQLYog or ODBC. Again I'll have to reconfigure and start the server from the configuration program.

Using the “No-Install” downloadble version however is OK. Just stop the server (using command line, MySQLAdministrator or WinMySQLAdmin), replace the directories containing the binaries and starting the server again works fine. My old “my.ini”file in the windows-directory would still be in control.

I'd like to know about other users' experience (good or bad) using the version with the new installer ?

I case experience is GOOD, I also would like to know whether MySQL is installed for the first time, or an older version was installed previously and if you did something particularly ….

I'm suspicious that the old version doesn't uninstall completely, because of poor quality of the related installation program. Some years ago (caused by a major MySQL update) I spent a couple of hours cleaning the registry of all traces of an old installation, and I really wouldn't like to do that again …

Ritesh

Maybe you can try the MySQL Mailing Lists.

The issues reported by you might be bugs which MySQL would love to resolve. Probably, they could point you to some documentation that answers the questions.

peterlaursen
      Participant

of course it asked this question in the MySQL forum too …

Ritesh

Right now the official MySQL forums does not seem to be very active. I always prefer the MySQL Mailling Lists 🙂

peterlaursen
      Participant

well .. I did it “the old way” and it's up and running.

We'll see whats happening with the next version!

Peter

Ritesh
      peterlaursen
      Participant

Thanks for your interest in my problems!

I knew this link of yours very well, but there is no hints for troubleshooting there!

I think that if it only my problem I'll have to find the solution myself and if some of the registered PRO users at Mysql experience the same problems there will probably be a solution supplied with the next version – maybe an improved installer or maybe something else … I'll wait and see

But I have been corresponding slightly with a very experienced MySQL from the forum at http://www.cerious.com who had a lot of trouble too – actually he spent 4-5 hours to get the server up and running. So I think the version could have bugs ….

Of course I could stick to well-probed versions and keep away from betas and “gammas” … what's a gamma ? … will the next be a “delta” ?! 🙄

Actually I only use MySQL personally for my photo-archive, music-library, cooking recipes and the like, so it's not so important which version …

Has anybody at webyog-company tried this version with the new installer ?

peterlaursen
      Participant

Just for information …

The latest “gamma” version 4.1.6 installed perfectly over ver 4.1.5 in the “old-style” location c:mysql.

I noted that the win installer had its version no. changed form 1.0 to 1.0.1 so probably they have fixed something …

😀

peterlaursen
      Participant

And now I even managed to

* move the installation of MySQL to the new standardlocation using MySQLAdministrator and

* replacing the old my.ini-file with a new one that MySQLAdministrator and the configuration wizard can recognize and modify correctly! and

* remove obsolete entries in the registry from old versions

So now the new installer and maintenace- and configuration-programs should work seamlessly in the future 😉

Ritesh

😀 😀

Shadow

MySql released 4.1.7 yesterday, its fist production version of MySql. Its Windows installer works nicely on my W2K!

peterlaursen
      Participant

with 4.1.7 I was not able to choose the installation directory!

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.