Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Native Linux Sqlyog

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Native Linux Sqlyog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Dejan Lekic

As topic-description says – I am wondering (as many others do, I see) if Webyog is planning to release a native Linux version of the SQLyog. At the moment I use it under Wine, but would really like to use a native application instead. If you do not have this in your product backlog, please add it, and I am sure you will make thousands of us very happy.

I also respect your support for the MariaDB project – keep up with the good work guys! 🙂

peterlaursen
      Participant

We have no plans for neither a 'native' Linux (or Mac) verson of SQLyog. We know that a lot of people would *like it*. But the question for us is rather: how many people would *pay for it*?

SQLyog is very much a “Windows API”-based program. The Windows API is used for almost anything (GUI controls, networking, file system access) and to replace the Windows API in SQLyog code with Unix-type libraries is more than a 50% rewrite of the program code (and there will be lot of small fixes to do afterwards – painting issues, memory issues etc.).

SQLyog in its current from represents (my best estimate) around 20 man-years of work. We cannot invest 5 or 10 man-years into a project if there is little chance that it 'pays off'.

Dejan Lekic

For what it is worth – I am a paid user, and my company would probably buy licenses. This way I bought a license for myself only. Colleagues opted for some other applications.

Speaking about customers – it is very simple to make a poll about it here – get users' feedbacks on this matter, and discover for yourself how many people would pay! 🙂 I have an impression (no offense) that You still live in the era of business-individuals who thought “Windows = money&business, Linux/UNIX = students&enthusiasts&researchers”. May I humbly remind you how wrong you are in that case?

Again, I am speaking from a *paying* customer's perspective.

Kind regards

peterlaursen
      Participant

You are welcome to create such poll yourself.

kuroi

Alas Peter is right. We're web developers who turned down a juicy piece of work a while back because it would have involved working on Windows servers, an environment with which we're unfamiliar, and we recognised that the hassle and scope for screwing up outweighed the possible benefits.

So, SqlYog does work under WINE (which is how we use it). It's not so pretty and it bugs us sometimes, but it remains effective. Much as I'd prefer to use it natively, and we'd certainly pay for that if it were available, but more important is that it just continues to work and evolve as a key component in our design and development tool box, and that we don't hang a heavy development and maintenance weight around Peter's neck.

rjbrooksjr

I came here looking/hoping to find a Linux version has been talked about in the last while… while it would be work (that's what we do…), you wouldn't exactly have much competition. Seems like it would be huge if you kept the Linux vesion just as awesome. There isn't a single *good* client available for Linux.

peterlaursen
      Participant

Did you try it with Wine?

justbn

I've come back to the forums for the first time in many years. Ages ago, I checked into WebYog's interest in developing a Mac or Linux version of SQLYog. I keep Windows on my Mac for the sole purpose of using SQLYog. It is THE best SQL GUI out there. Yes, I've tried Sequel Pro. It's great. It has several features that SQLYog does not have (http://www.webyog.co…?showtopic=6601). However, it is NOT SQLYog.

In past posts, Peter has indicated that there is no point in attempting to port the project without having any idea if anyone will pay for it. I've had a reminder set for the last 2 years to kick off a website trying to get others to commit to paying for SQLYog on Mac. Obviously, I've never gotten around to this.

How about Webyog setting up a KickStarter project for porting SQLYog to the Mac? You'd get a lot of interest in SQLYog for Windows this way. You'd also get REAL validation that developers will pay for porting SQLYog to the Mac. In fact, you'd get the project paid for in advance!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.