Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Mysql Connection

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog Mysql Connection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      CoastalGuy

This is rather long, but just wanted to provide enough information:

I just installed SQLyog under Wine on my Ubuntu Meerkat 10.10. I have been using SQLyog under my Windows XP for years without any problems connecting to my databases using “localhost”. Under my Ubuntu Wine however, I keep getting a 2005 error when trying to connect via “localhost”. I have my Apache connecting ok to my websites where I am opening up my mysql databases ok using “localhost” so obviously my localhost is “seeing” the databases within my websites. From what I have read, as long as the databases are on the same computer, it should “see” them, however I am not certain of this?

I have had my websites and databases already set up under a LAMP in Windows XP. When I installed XAMPP to my Ubuntu system, I successfully connected Apache to my existing websites on the XP website partition (changing it's DocumentRoot and ) (http://localhost/websites). After a lot of research, I found I had to mount the XP partition under fstab.

However, I have not been able to configure the MySql to “see” my databases FROM my XP database folder. Consequently, to display database information on my websites, I had to copy all of my databases to the default database directory for XAMPP. Again, this is using the localhost server. I would still prefer configuring MySql to “see” my databases under my XP database partition, however I have been unable to obtain how this is done (through posts on many forums and Google Searches).

Opening up my phpmyadmin “http://localhost/phpmyadmin”, initially only showed the databases installed with XAMPP, under the default XAMPP database folder. However, when I copied my existing databases from the XP database folder to the XAMPP default database folder, they are now available under phpmyadmin.

Even though my localhost is working with my website databases and also are available under phpmyadmin, SQLyog gives me a 2005 error when I enter “localhost” as the host.

Folder Paths under Ubuntu:

Apache (localhost):

….Existing Windows partition: /media/Sokkit

….Ubuntu XAMPP: /var/www/

Mysql:

….Existing Windows partition: /media/Sokkit/Sokkit/mysql4/data/

….Ubuntu XAMPP: /opt/lampp/var/mysql

Any help getting SQLyog to work with localhost would be appreciated….

Supratik

We are checking this issue at our end, we will update you shortly.

Supratik

We have checked SQLyog at our end in the following environment.

Ubuntu 10.10

Wine 1.2.1

Sqlyog 8.8.2.0

Sqlyog at our end is able to connect to MySQL server using “localhost”.

We will require some more information to understand your setup and to effectively analyze the problem.

1) What is the SQLyog version you are using ?

2) What is your wine version ? (you may use “wine –version” command to get the version number)

3) Are you using Ubuntu 10.10 in the same Windows XP system using any kind of virtualization like

VMWware, VirtualBox etc. ?

4) The MySQL server to which you are trying to connect is installed in which system, Windows XP or Ubuntu ?

5) Now, from the same system where SQLyog is installed perform the following steps and let us know

the result of each steps.

i) Try run the command “telnet localhost 3306” from the command line.

ii) Try to connect to your MySQL server using mysql command line client using host as”localhost”

iii) Try to replace “localhost” with “127.0.0.1” in SQLyog and try to connect to your MySQL server

We look forward to your response.

Warm Regards

Supratik

CoastalGuy

Ubuntu 10.10

Wine 1.3.16

SQLyog 4.05 (This is the version I have been using on XP for years. Has been all I need so haven't upgraded)

I am using Dual Boot to a separate install of Ubuntu (Not within Windows).

SQLyog is installed on Ubuntu with Wine.

i) telnet localhost 3306:

…..trying ::1…

…..trying 127.0.0.1 (telnet unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

ii) Not sure how to do this.. Can you give me the steps? (Fairly new with Ubuntu but learning).

iii) Used 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost and received 2003 error (not the 2005 error with localhost).

Thanks,

peterlaursen
      Participant

SQLyog 4.05 🙁

We really cannot support it. It is almost seven years old, I believe. We don't even have a copy ourselves anymore (the oldest one we have is 5.32) and is not even possible to build it as we will need a very old Visual Studio version(VS 6) that will not even run on recent Windows (not even XP with Servicepack). VS6 and Win2K are not available anymore for anybody – not even for MSDN subscribers.

Would you mind try if the problem is reproducible with a recent version (8.82 or 9.0 beta)?

CoastalGuy

Downloaded and installed (in Ubuntu Wine), 8.8.2 Community. localhost now gives me a 2003 error instead of a 2005? Again, localhost works fine for my website databases running under Apache & php and also for phpmyadmin (http://localhost/phpmyadmin). The LAMP I am using in Ubuntu is XAMPP and not those available under synaptic software package. As my websites, PHP and PHPmyadmin is working with localhost, not sure this would be the problem?

Note that the only reason I am using the community version, is that the price of your main version is very high. I would be agreeable to $40 or so, but your price is just beyond my budget.

Thanks again,

CoastalGuy

Further to my last response above, under Windows XP, I uninstalled the 4.05 version and installed the 8.8.2 Community. When I set up my first database connection, Using localhost, I also received the 2003 error as I did in Ubuntu. But I forgot to start my LAMP under Windows. Once I did that, it connected fine. It almost seems as if MySQL isn't started on the Ubuntu LAMP, however as the php opening my databases, on my websites, work fine using localhost as the host, and with my phpmyadmin working also, that doesn't seem to be the case, unless there is something unique going on with it..??

peterlaursen
      Participant

I am afraid i do not understand your last post. What is the problem now (on Windows and Linux)? Do you use any Virtualization software?

Supratik
      Quote:
      ii) Not sure how to do this.. Can you give me the steps? (Fairly new with Ubuntu but learning).

This is not required now since you are not able to connect using telnet so MySQL client will also fail, but

for your reference the following are the steps.

– You need to have mysql-client installed in your Ubuntu sytem.

– Open the terminal and execute “mysql -h -u -p” (you may change the details within the angular brackets accordingly)

Can you please tell me which XAMPP version you have installed in your Ubuntu system, is it XAMPP for Windows running under wine or XAMPP for Linux ?

I am able to reproduce the same issue when I am using XAMPP for windows under wine. If I use XAMPP for Linux it works perfectly fine.

If you are not using XAMPP for Linux please download it from the above mentioned link and follow the instruction here to get it installed in your system.

Once it is installed and your MySQL server is started under the XAMPP environment try to connect MySQL server with SQLyog using localhost.

Please let me know if this solves your problem.

CoastalGuy

Peter,

I'm sorry. Having upgraded to 8.8.2 Community, from my old 4.05 version, (as you requested) on my Ubuntu Meerkat “Wine”, it is still giving me the 2003 error.

I just wanted to let you know that I also upgraded my 4.05 to the 8.8.2 Community on my Windows XP and that worked fine.

CoastalGuy

To: Advanced User,

The results of the command: mysql -h localhost -user root -p gave me the following:

The program 'mysql' can be found in the following packages:

* mysql-client-core-5.1

* mysql-cluster-client-5.1

Try: sudo apt-get install

I am using XAMPP for linux: xampp-linux-1.7.4.tar.gz (the compressed file that I installed).

When I start XAMPP, with the command: sudo /opt/lampp/lampp start – It starts Lamp, Apache, Mysql and the FTP successfully.

As I mentioned, Apache and PHP are working, as indicated when I load my websites under localhost. Initially, I could not get the databases to open under my websites, until I copied my databases from my partition under Windows, to the XAMPP folder for databases – /opt/lampp/var/mysql. Once I did this, my databases loaded and displayed fine.

I did change the Apache DocumentRoot and to my exising Windows partition with my websites which worked as localhost (once I added the partition to mount under fstab). Have not been able to get my mysql databases to work though, unless I copied them to the XAMPP database folder (even though they are a sub-folder of localhost). However, I did try the my websites under the XAMPP localhost directory, by copying my websites to /var/www with the DocumentRoot and to the this default XAMPP localhost location, but with the same results with the databases.

localhost = /media/Sokkit (my existing Windows folder)

mysql databases = /opt/lampp/var/mysql (XAMPP default database folder)

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

Coastalguy

Supratik

I have checked this at our end with xampp-linux-1.7.4.tar.gz installed in my Ubuntu 10.10 but unfortunately I am unable to

reproduce the same. In our end it works fine with SQLyog 8.8.2 Community version.

We may require an online screen sharing session to trace out the exact problem.

Can you please create a support ticket by simply sending a mail to [email protected] with the following details.

1. Please let me know your TimeZone and your preferred time so that we can schedule an online meeting if at all required.

2. Please attach your MySQL configuration file (my.cnf) in the mail.

3. Please let us know the output of the command “netstat -nalp|grep mysql” (execute it after starting the XAMPP environment).

Warm Regards

Supratik

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.