Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Monitoring Without Monyog?

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog Monitoring Without Monyog?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

is there a way to see where in the executing sql the process is currently?

the sja log is empty, but is there some other place to observe the execution in some other log file?

peterlaursen
      Participant

I simply do not understand!  'Monitoring without MONog' posted in 'SQLyog' category with reference to SJA.  Please explain what program you are using and what you are doing.

'peterlaursen' wrote on '01:

I simply do not understand!  'Monitoring without MONog' posted in 'SQLyog' category with reference to SJA.  Please explain what program you are using and what you are doing.

sorry to be so dense.

i am executing a query and simply want to know if there is a way to find out where it is, which statement it is on.

sqlyog enterprise is what it is.

statement a;

statement b;

etc… is it on a, b, or whichever?

is there a way to know?

later…

i opened another instance of the sqlyog enterprise program and was able to examine the current process running. also under status is a variable for “last_query_cost” – which is 10.+++

peterlaursen
      Participant

OK .. you are executing multiple queries with SQLyog.  You would like to see which ones have completed already and which one is currently being executed.  Did I understand?

'eddierosenthal' wrote on '01:

sorry to be so dense.

i am executing a query and simply want to know if there is a way to find out where it is, which statement it is on.

sqlyog enterprise is what it is.

statement a;

statement b;

etc… is it on a, b, or whichever?

is there a way to know?

later…

i opened another instance of the sqlyog enterprise program and was able to examine the current process running. also under status is a variable for “last_query_cost” – which is 10.+++

thanks for your interest in my problem.

this part of the query took 7 hours:

UPDATE t_cities a, t_counties b

SET a.CountyId = b.CountyId

WHERE a.CityAliasName = b.CityAliasName

AND a.State = b.State;

i have (just now) altered both t_cities and t_counties

tables to include the CityAliasName as a fulltext key so i will see what

happens the next time i do an update to the t_cities table.

I have in tools->preferences-Powertools set enable query profiler and all the checks below that ON.

question about that is – how much cost is there to have that profiler ON – is there a direct

correlation between that ON and the LENGTH OF THE TIME OF THE QUERY EXECUTION?

and during the query run – perhaps next time i will try to schedule it so that it runs at night…

Question about that is – do you think it will/would run much faster on a shared hosted environment Linux MYSQL server on godaddy.com than it will run on my dual core windows xp pro desktop?

peterlaursen
      Participant

I think I already told that such implicit JOIN in an UPDATE statement (updating same rows in multiple tables as what are used for specifying the JOIN)  may not be a good idea.  Was that other discussion also our post (I do not remember details).

As regards the profiler 'overhead':  You will understand if you try to execute same statement with and without profiler and next see in HISTORY tab what was actually executed by SQLyog in both cases. Profiler adds quite a lot of 'helper statements' of course. It  may take a few seconds to execute and transfer results for those 'helper statements' with remote hosts. But if will not have any effect on the execution time of the *principal statement*.

DonQuichote
      'eddierosenthal' wrote on '01:

is there a way to see where in the executing sql the process is currently?

the sja log is empty, but is there some other place to observe the execution in some other log file?

If the server is on a development machine, it can be wise to activate the query log in my.cnf or my.ini. You can use a log viewer (like baretail, just search the net for it) to monitor it. Off course this is totally different from what monyog does. For live servers, this can be useful also, but only if you know what you are doing. Otherwise, it is just a performance and diskspace eater.

Even on your development machine, rotate or delete the query log once in a while to keep it feasible.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.