Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Making Sqlyog Portable Using The -Dir Command Line Option

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog Comments Making Sqlyog Portable Using The -Dir Command Line Option

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      bryan11

To run SqlYog 8.5.3 Community version from a portable location, I found these directions:

“SQLyog can be started with a ‘-dir’ switch like “SQLyogENT -dir somefolder”. This -dir switch specifies where SQLyog will look for the sqlyog.ini file and where all writable files will be saved. This was mainly implemented for users that want to have all SQLyog-related files on a removable drive or some kind of encrypted storage. Note that if you use the setting in ‘preferences’ to store TAGS file some specific place the ‘preferences’ setting will still have effect, also if the -dir switch is used.”

I've installed SqlYog 8.5.3 Community version on Window 7, then copied the files in C:Documents and SettingsbryanApplication DataSQLyog and C:Program FilesSQLyog Community to C:Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable so everything is in one directory.

Next, I tried running SqlYog with the '-dir' option but can't get it to work. Here are some command line options I've tried:

Try 1: C:Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable>SQLyogCommunity.exe -dir C:Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable

Try 2: C:Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable>SQLyogCommunity.exe -dir .

Each time, I get 'SqlYog is getting terminated' or it starts using the sqlyog.ini file in the Application Data directory.

How can I run this to specify the correct sqlyog.ini file and have it write config data in a specified location?

thanks,

Bryan

Shalmali

Hello Bryan,

You do not need to copy the C:Documents and SettingsbryanApplication DataSQLyog and C:Program FilesSQLyog Community to any other folder.

Go to your installation path – in your case C:Program FilesSQLyog Community and run the following:

SQLyogCommunity -dir (Path where you want all your future connection details to go into Example – G:SQLyog)

A new ini will be created in the path you specified above.

This makes the connection details portable and can be used on any other system just by executing the above command

from any SQLyog installed directory.

Thanks,

Shalmali

bryan11

When I run this: SQLyogCommunity.exe -C:Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable

it does create a new, blank sqlyog.ini in the PortableApps directory. However, it still uses the sqlyog.ini in C:Documents and SettingsbryanApplication DataSQLyog. To verify this, I added a new host in SqlYog and exited and only the sqlyog.ini in C:Documents and SettingsbryanApplication DataSQLyog was updated. If I delete the sqlyog.ini there, it creates a new, blank one at that location, also.

Next, I deleted the SQLYog executables from the portableapps directory and left only the files from the Application Data directory. Here's the command I used to run SQLYog from the normal, installed location and use the new sqlyog.ini file:

“C:Program FilesSQLyog CommunitySQLyogCommunity.exe” – “C:Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable”. Again, it used the sqlyog.ini from the Application Data directory instead of the one specified.

No matter what variation I try, it uses the sqlyog.ini in the Application Data directory. What's going wrong here?

Shalmali
      'bryan11' wrote on '08:

When I run this: SQLyogCommunity.exe -C:Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable

You are missing the “dir”.

Please run this command from your SQLyog installed directory C:Program FilesSQLyog Community

SQLyogCommunity -dir C:Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable

~Shalmali

Shalmali

Please let us know after you try the command in my previous post.

~Shalmali

bryan11

No luck. It still runs and uses the sqlyog.ini from the Application Data directory.

I'm running Sqlyog by opening a DOS window at the location where Sqlyog is installed, then entering one of these commands:

C:Program FilesSQLyog Community>”C:Program FilesSQLyog CommunitySQLyogCommunity.exe” – dir C:Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable

C:Program FilesSQLyog Community>”C:Program FilesSQLyog CommunitySQLyogCommunity.exe” – dir “C:Documents and SettingsbwelchMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable”

The quotes around the target directory don't seem to be needed or affect behavior of sqlyog, but those around the first part are needed or I get the error “'C:Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.”

peterlaursen
      Participant

If there is a SPACE or COLON in a file path in Windows you will need to enclose the file path in “double quotes” – that is a Windows command interpretation concept/issue.

But let us check this again by beginning of next week.

Shalmali

Bryan,

Quote:
      C:Program FilesSQLyog Community>”C:Program FilesSQLyog CommunitySQLyogCommunity.exe” – dir “Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable”

You have space between hyphen(“-“) and “dir” -> I Checked your command by pasting it on my DOS window, and it opened with my existing “SQLyog.ini” file.

Please try with out the space. It should be: “-dir” and NOT “-[space]dir”

So just copy paste this command in your installation path and it should work-

C:Program FilesSQLyog Community>”C:Program FilesSQLyog CommunitySQLyogCommunity.exe” -dir “C:”Documents and SettingsbryanMy DocumentsPortableApps.comPortableAppsSqlYogPortable”

~Shalmali

bryan11

I think the space character was an issue. I also switched to Windows 7, so here's the command that works:

“C:Program Files (x86)SQLyog CommunitySQLyogCommunity.exe” -dir C:UsersbryanDocumentsPortableAppsSqlYogPortable

Note that the sqlyog.ini is normally in c:/users/bryan/appdata/Roaming/Sqlyog/.

I hope you do create a fully portable version of Sqlyog. where the application data and config files are all in one location.

Thanks much for your help with this.

Bryan

Shalmali
      'bryan11' wrote on '12:

I hope you do create a fully portable version of Sqlyog. where the application data and config files are all in one location.

Hello Bryan,

You have created a new post requesting this feature here – http://www.webyog.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5264

Please refer to that link for our reply to your suggestion.

Regards,

~Shalmali

Kevin Sikes

I have created a portable install of SQLyog Ultimate ver. 9.10 on a USB thumb drive. The -dir parameter works correctly; however, I am prompted to enter my license info every time I plug the thumb drive into a different computer. This leads me to believe that the host computer is being modified unexpectedly (and it doesn't seem truly portable.) Shouldn't the license info be saved as some sort of hash on the thumb drive itself?

Thanks,

Kevin Sikes

peterlaursen
      Participant

It is like this per design.

Kevin Sikes

So in essence, only the Community version is truly portable?

peterlaursen
      Participant

The *code* is portable and the *license* is not. The user who owns the license is responsible for respecting the legal terms of the EULA. Basically he must ensure (with a single user license) that he is the only user of the program and that the program is only used on one computer at a time. Those customers that have a valid license should have no problems with that.

Kevin Sikes

It appears you have misunderstood my concern. The term “portable” has a very specific meaning in current parlance: configuration and data are kept on removable media and no changes are made to the host computer.

Let's say “Bill” is doing work at a customer's site. Bill is a licensed SQLyog user. The site does not allow Bill to connect his laptop to the network, so he uses one of their machines and runs SQLyog from a thumb drive, since you represent your software as being portable. He is prompted for his license info, which unbeknownst to Bill is stored on the customer's computer. According to your statement, “Basically he must ensure (with a single user license) that he is the only user of the program and that the program is only used on one computer at a time”, how will Bill ensure anything of the sort, since his “portable” installation stored a license key on his customer's computer?

Chirag

Kevin,

This is indeed a tricky one. The keys are stored in the registry & there is nothing much “Bill” can do. Even with the registry keys in place, the customer cannot use SQLyog unless he has bought it as the licensed binaries are available only in protected area.

We checked couple of known portable software & the behavior remains the same.

Regards,

Chirag

dicexq

Today i gave it a try and i successfully `installed` SQLYog portable on my USB-Drive.

1) All i did was install the SQLYog to a newly created directory on my USB-Drive (to: `G:sqlyog`)

2) After this i created a shortcut (just to add the -dir param, i do not know a better way wink.png).

3) I edited the shortcut by doing SHIFT+RIGHT-CLICK on it then i LEFT-CLICK'ed properties.

4) Edited the target line from: `G:sqlyogSQLyog.exe` to: `G:sqlyogSQLyog.exe -dir “G:sqlyogdata”`.

5) Now i could start SQLYog by clicking the shortcut and keep all my stored data and the installation files on a USB-Drive.

I Used `Windows 7 64bit` and `SQLyog Ultimate v10.12` to accomplish this.

PS: When i got the `SQLYog was terminated` errors the `G:sqlyogdata` directory did not exists. You will have to create this directory yourself!

Regards,

DiceXQ

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.