Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Machine-gun Sound

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog BETA Discussions Machine-gun Sound

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      peterlaursen
      Participant

This is nothing new to Ritesh. But let me explain so that others can comment.

I experience when opening a connection with SQLyog 5.1 that a very annoying machine-gun like sound occurs from my harddisk. It is due to the fact that SQLite generates a lot of small temporary files.

This happens on one system of mine – a 'mini-PC' built upon a very compact miniITX mainbord. It does not happen quite as bad on a ordinary Athlon that I have too. However the 'mini' has an ordinary VIA chipset and uses ordinary VIA IDE drivers. And the sytem hard-disks of the two machines are totally identical (Seagate 250 M:cool:.

Anybody else experencing that?

Also this phenomenon last much longer when connecting to MySQL 5 than to MySQL 4. Probably reading the INFORMATION_SCHEMA table that makes the difference.

SQLite has an option to write those temporay files to memory (using a PRAGMA statement). I request this – either as the default or as a settings option. I think it would speed up the start-up as well. SQLyog 5.1 BETA 1 is practically unusable on this 'mini' due to this.

Ritesh

We are trying to correctly figure out the consequences/implementation difference between various TEMP_STORE options in SQLite.

If both have their own advantages/disadvantages, we will probably put this as a Preference option but till now this MACHINE-GUN sound problem has only been reported by you.

peterlaursen
      Participant
      Quote:
      but till now this MACHINE-GUN sound problem has only been reported by you.

I know. the reason I wrote it here was to get some feedback if other users experienced the same. But I believe that when I first reported I was around 20% of users. That is another way to describe it! One user only or 20% ?! 🙂

I believe that I read that the SQLite web claims that TEMPSTORE in MEMORY is safe. Even if SQLyog should crash (and SQLite with it) there is not risk of corruption of the .db files. However if Windows should crash or in case of hardwae or power failure there is a risk. But that applies to DISKSTORE as well! I shall not guess which is most significant!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.