Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Long Running Queries

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Long Running Queries

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      brentmi

Only new to Sqlyog so please bare with me.

In the help and on the website it sais:

Stopping a Query

Starting from v4.05, all the queries are executed in a different thread. Whenever you execute a query the corresponding icon in the toolbar is replaced by a Stop icon. If you want to stop a query from being executed, just click on the Stop button

I'm unable to see this button and I don't seem to have this functionality at all – Im using version 5.02 (free version). Am I looking in the wrong place or is this a feature of the payed version?

thanks.. 🙂

peterlaursen
      Participant

Well .. the 'green arrow' icon becomes a 'red stop' icon while query is running – doesn't it?

Any special sort of query you are talking about ?

brentmi
      peterlaursen wrote on Mar 20 2006, 08:38 AM:
      Well .. the 'green arrow' icon becomes a 'red stop' icon while query is running – doesn't it?

No thats the problem, on my version at least the green arrow remains a “green arrow” no matter how long the execution time.

peterlaursen
      Participant

I just tested with 5.02. I does like attached when running a 'SELECT * FROM a_very_big_table' (@vygi: shut up! <_< ). You must explain what sort of qurey you are doing, I think!

brentmi
      Code:
      select *,from_unixtime(log_time) from BTS_MAC_metrics where bts_id = 200291 and log_time > unix_timestamp('2006-03-20 00:00:00')

or

Code:
      select count(*) from BTS_MAC_metrics

As an example the count(*) query takes around 1 minute to complete as there are around 20million records. During that execution period, (same for the 1st query above also), the green arrow never changes. I run all my queries in the “query tab”

thanks..

Ok appear to have resolved part of the issue. The red stop icon only appears if you start you query with the curser at the beginning of the line and the query window only contains 1 query. Does not seem to work if you have multiple or highlighted queries. Is this normal or is should the red icon appear no matter what the execution mode?

peterlaursen
      Participant
      Quote:
      The red stop icon only appears if you start you query with the curser at the beginning of the line and the query window only contains 1 query

I am not quite sure I understand. I can place curser in any position and it works

Quote:
      Does not seem to work if you have multiple or highlighted queries

If I have multiple queries and use the 'double green arrow' icon or SHIFT+F5 it still works here

But I confirm that it does not works with highlighted queries! And this I must consider a bug.

brentmi
      peterlaursen wrote on Mar 20 2006, 11:51 AM:
      I am not quite sure I understand. I can place curser in any position and it works

Yes your correct – Uptil now I've always highlighted the queries I want executed, which explains why I've never seen the red stop icon i guess 🙄

Quote:
      If I have multiple queries and use the 'double green arrow' icon or SHIFT+F5 it still works here

I've always got a very full/busy query window and would not normally want to execute all queries.

Quote:
      But I confirm that it does not works with highlighted queries! And this I must consider a bug.

Would be great to be able to highlight queries I want executed and have the “stop button” available.

Thanks for your help – will purchase the pro version shortly 😀

peterlaursen
      Participant

I see Ritesh is lurking around the Forums at this very moment …. :ph34r:

Probably he is verifying for himself right now. Such fixes usually come fast.

Ritesh

We just commited the final patch for 5.1 BETA 4. This issue will be fixed in BETA 5.

CalEvans
      peterlaursen wrote on Mar 20 2006, 08:38 AM:

Peter,

In about 90% of the queries I run, yes it becomes a stop sign (and I've worshiped at Ritesh's feet for that one, I remember versions that DIDN'T have that!) But in about 10% of the cases it does not allow me to stop. Personally, I believe this is a quirk of the program. The 10% of the queries I can't stop lock the program up till they are done, or at least seem to. I believe the problem is that the queries ran quickly but returned or are returning datasets that are so large that the interface has trouble rendering them.

Sat I also had one that froze the program for over an hour. it was a really big delete statement. (Deleted 25k records) The delete statement itself took that long on the server but SQLYog went to sleep until it finished. It would be nice if something happened. Put the delete in a seperate thread so it doesn't lock the interface up and then just disable all the buttons until it's finished…or something.

IMHO, etc.

=C=

peterlaursen
      Participant

@Cal

did you get the point of the discussion?

When something is highlighted in editor it does not work. We all agree on that and that will be fixed.

Did you experience the same thing when there was nothing highlighted?

Well yes .. a truly multithreaded STOP would be nice. Could be a keyboard shortcut only.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.