Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Improved Copy Functionality

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Improved Copy Functionality

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Stacy Martin

I recall there being some prior discussion about SQLYOG's copy functionality being limited to entire row's and single cells. As you know, there is currently no ability to copy an entire column, or a set of selected cells within a column or row. (note: there is a work around to select adjacent column cells in a single row through Text Result mode).

Ideally, SQLYog would have this “Excel-like” ability to select various cells, rows, and cell-ranges that could then be copied. I did a quick comparison of this functionality between some popular query browsers used by people in my office. All tools allow you to copy a single cell, in addition to the following:

– SQLYog: Select/Copy entire row(s)

– MySQL Query Browser: Select/Copy entire row(s)

– Navicat: Select/Copy entire row(s) or column(s)

– Toad: Select/Copy any combination of selected cell

In comparison, Toad appears to have the greatest functionality providing the most “excel-like” copy functionality. While the cost/benefit of such functionality is debatable (I personally believe it to be extremely valuable), it would be great if SQLYog could be enhanced.

Perhaps the compromise would be to provide functionality similar to Navicat, which allows you to select/copy an entire row, but also an entire column. I wouldn't imagine that would be too complicated, compared to allowing the select/copy of any combination of selected cells.

Thank you for consideration.

Rohit
      'Stacy wrote on '25:

I recall there being some prior discussion about SQLYOG's copy functionality being limited to entire row's and single cells. As you know, there is currently no ability to copy an entire column, or a set of selected cells within a column or row. (note: there is a work around to select adjacent column cells in a single row through Text Result mode).

Ideally, SQLYog would have this “Excel-like” ability to select various cells, rows, and cell-ranges that could then be copied. I did a quick comparison of this functionality between some popular query browsers used by people in my office. All tools allow you to copy a single cell, in addition to the following:

– SQLYog: Select/Copy entire row(s)

– MySQL Query Browser: Select/Copy entire row(s)

– Navicat: Select/Copy entire row(s) or column(s)

– Toad: Select/Copy any combination of selected cell

In comparison, Toad appears to have the greatest functionality providing the most “excel-like” copy functionality. While the cost/benefit of such functionality is debatable (I personally believe it to be extremely valuable), it would be great if SQLYog could be enhanced.

Perhaps the compromise would be to provide functionality similar to Navicat, which allows you to select/copy an entire row, but also an entire column. I wouldn't imagine that would be too complicated, compared to allowing the select/copy of any combination of selected cells.

Thank you for consideration.

Thanks for the nice suggestions.

Yes, Excel-like copy functionality will be definitely great.

We will discuss this internally and update this thread.

classaxe
      'Rohit' wrote:

Thanks for the nice suggestions.

Yes, Excel-like copy functionality will be definitely great.

We will discuss this internally and update this thread.

Excellent, I too would very much like to see this added – I often use the results of a column select as a subselect clause for further queries and right now I have to do that one painfull cell at a time – 'export this column' or even 'export this row' (whether that row happens to be selected or not) would certainly help me on a daily basis.

[attachment=1615:export_column.png]

Blessings,

Martin Francis

http://www.ecclesiact.com

<

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.