Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Import from Access stalling

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Jase

I am having problems with an import of an Access database into Mysql on a remote machine. It only happens sometimes, the import will “stall” and I get an error. I am not running anything else on the PC machine so nothing is distracting it.

Also, is there anyway the import can be speeded up? Looking at the network traffic throughput, an awful lot of bandwidth is not being used. Is the bottleneck with the processor of the machine (1.3 Gig with 512 Meg memory running XP Pro) do you think?

Shadow

What error do you get?

Jase

It looses the connection to the remote database. I think it times out (need to check exact error when I get home tonight)

Shadow

Either the communication to your remote db is not ok, or the rows (better to say specific rows) contain too much data. Try increasing the wait_timeout or max_allowed_packet setting of the remote db.

Jase

connect_timeout is 5 & max_allowed_packet is 1047552. What new values would you suggest? It's just that I'm new to MySQL.

Shadow

max_allowed_packet is all right unless you strore huge blobs in the Access db, but I was not talking about connect_timeout, but about wait_timeout. wait_timeout being 5 secs would be a way too short period!

Jase

Beg your pardon, wait_timeout is 20.

There could be some large blobs moving across, I might double that max_allowed_packet. Again, I will have to check tonight when I get home.

Shadow

I would increase the wait_timeout setting! My default value is 28800… About max_allowed_packet: find the largest row in your Access db (the row that contains the most data), determine its size in bytes and compare this value to the max_allowed_packet. If the size of the row exceeds max_allowed_packet, then increase the setting's value. Otherwise you can leave it as is.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.