Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Import External Data – Date

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog Import External Data – Date

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      andrewteg
      Participant

I have an external server creating CSV files which I need to copy and import into MySQL on a nightly basis. The process is going well but the date fields are M/D/Y. I am importing them as VARCHAR now since if I use DATE I get all 0000-00-00.

I am hoping someone can share a way to switch these types of dates into a true MySQL date field.

Thanks,

Andrew

Khushboo

Hi Andrew,

We tried your case, and import is working fine at our end.

These are the conversions of date datatype, which Import External Data does by default:

1. If in CSV date format is 'MM/DD/YYYY' then it will be changed to Timestamp in 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM:SS' format.

Eg: 02/12/2010

> 2010-02-12 00:00:00

2. If the format is 'DD/MM/YYYY', then it changes to Varchar.

Eg: 02/12/2010

> 2010-02-12

For any of the above two cases, if you change the datatype to Date (through Import External Data –> Column Mapping Section), it imports fine as Date in 'YYYY-MM-DD' format.

So, can you please provide us more details to solve your problem:

1. From which external server you are creating the CSV files?

2. Can you attach a sample CSV file which causes this problem?

Also, you can go through this link for more info on MySQL Date and Time datatypes:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/date-and-time-types.html

Thank You.

Regards,

Khushboo

peterlaursen
      Participant

Note that automatic conversion will work with the ODBC-based import – not when using LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE syntax.

Also please tell what version you are using.  Recent versions have improved interface for the ODBC-based import.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.