Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

I'm missing three things in SQLYog

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog I'm missing three things in SQLYog

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Yuri

If anyone has a sollution; be my guest:

1. How to reset the auto-increment without altering the table-structure 2 times (removing, and adding the auto-increment)

2. Quick & dirty copy and paste some records in the same table, without having to create and drop a temporary table for switching the data.

3. Deleting all records without a query (CRTL-A – DEL) ? ?

Kind regards,

Yuri.

Ritesh

Hello

Quote:
      How to reset the auto-increment without altering the table-structure 2 times (removing, and adding the auto-increment)

Can you give me more details, what exactly you want?

Quote:
      Quick & dirty copy and paste some records in the same table, without having to create and drop a temporary table for switching the data.

Thanks for feature suggestion….

Quote:
      Deleting all records without a query (CRTL-A – DEL) ? ?

Select the table in the Object Browser and press Shift+Del

HTH

CalEvans

Yuri,

Don't take any of this the wrong way. (Just by saying that I've ensured you will but I tried.)

It will come to no surprise to anyone who regularly reads this board that I disagree with you. (I can see Ritesh cringing already) SQLyog is an excellent tool to allow you to execute SQL in a graphical window against a backend server. I hope it never becomes More Access like or even more like M$ Query Designer. (Which started life as a tool that looked very much like SQLyog. It was called iSQL. But now it's a bloated pig of a program that has wizards for everything and can be used by any idiot to destroy a database.)

IMHO: (I represent no one but myself here)

1:Dropping and re-adding the column IS the way to reset the auto_increment field. This is the way MySQL is designed. Even if SQLyog could make it easier, I wouldn't want them to. It's not that it needs to be needlessly difficult, but given the serious nature of most production databases, all operations you can do from a command window need to require thought.

2: There absolutely should be no easier way of moving records from one table to another other than using DML. If you need to do it, there are SQL commands to do it. (and quite honestly, the are pretty easy).

3: Even though I think it's a BAD idea, there already is a way to empty a table. (SHIFT-+DEL) But truncating the table takes more thought and with a command this destructive, more thought==good.

humbly,

=C=

Yuri

No offence taken.

Agreed, SQLyog ís an excellent tool; that's why i bother to start this discussion.

1__________

True, but when my application is in development-mode: after a few days of testing e.t.c. the tables are full of dummy-text and the auto-increment's rise up to 200. My database has about 34 tables right now and just to keep the things bright & clear i sometimes like to 'reset' all tables (removing the data and resetting the auto-increment). Dropping and re-adding the column works fine, but it is a little time-expensive on 34 tables. On the other side (like you said). A “reset” button on a table makes it way to easy to be clicked without concidering the concequenses. (but i would really prefer it though..)

Why i want to reset the auto-increment… ehh.. It's just like cleaning up your room after you made a mess of it. Just get things `clear` when you start to develop the next part of your application. And when the application is up & running you really don't want the auto-increment starting at `ID` 3000 or so.

2___________

I'm not talking about copying data from table 2 table, but about copying data inside the same table for testing-purposes. Just to see how your user-end application looks like if there are 800 records in your table.

3___________

Thanx for the tip.

Greets,

Yuri.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.