Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

How Do I Add A User To My Database?

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog How Do I Add A User To My Database?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jamieludlow

Hi everyone, just got SQlog yesterday and want to manage my dattabase with it that i have set up already with my webhost.

The problem is i can't seem to add a new user! When i click on 'add user', to add a new user the 'add user' box comes up with the fields:

-UserName

-Host

-Password

-Retype Passowrd

-Global Priveleges (check boxes)

What do i need to put in each section? I want to give the new user full priveleges, so i select all the check boxes. I create a new username and passwoord for the new user in the boxes username and password. I think this is all correct right? Do i put the username and password i want to make up for the new user or the username and password of the current user/owner of the database?

Also what do you put in the 'host' section? Do you put an ip address, a website adress with http://, the name of the current user? I am unsure about this part! Also there is a % sign already in the host section. Do i delete this or not?

Wheni enter al the apppropriate details (i use an ip address for host), i get the error message 'Error No. 1142, INSERT command denied to user 'jamieludlow'@'dynamic-62-56-11-81.park-s46b.dslaccess.co.uk'for table'user''

Someone please help, it would be appreciated. Thanks 😉

CalEvans
      jamieludlow wrote on Apr 11 2006, 06:23 PM:
      Also what do you put in the 'host' section? Do you put an ip address, a website adress with http://, the name of the current user? I am unsure about this part! Also there is a % sign already in the host section. Do i delete this or not?

Wheni enter al the apppropriate details (i use an ip address for host), i get the error message 'Error No. 1142, INSERT command denied to user 'jamieludlow'@'dynamic-62-56-11-81.park-s46b.dslaccess.co.uk'for table'user''

Someone please help, it would be appreciated. Thanks 😉

Howdy Jamie,

As to the first question, host will be 1 of 3 values:

localhost. If the user you are adding will be connecting from the local machine (i.e. a web application running on the same machine as the database) then use localhost. That keeps the account from being abused by others.

% – this is the wildcard that means from ANY host. Be careful with this one.

The third value is the specific machine name you are connecting from (or if you are behind a firewall, the machine name of the firewall.) This will look something like dynamic-62-56-11-81.park-s46b.dslaccess.co.uk. This is the best option if you know you will be accessing it from the outside form from the same place each time. It's just a little more secure.

But the second question indicates that you have a problem that can't be fixed by SQLYog. The problem is you don't have permission to add users. You'll need to speak to your host about that.

Have a great day!

=C=

jamieludlow
      CalEvans wrote on Apr 11 2006, 07:30 PM:
      Howdy Jamie,

As to the first question, host will be 1 of 3 values:

localhost. If the user you are adding will be connecting from the local machine (i.e. a web application running on the same machine as the database) then use localhost. That keeps the account from being abused by others.

% – this is the wildcard that means from ANY host. Be careful with this one.

The third value is the specific machine name you are connecting from (or if you are behind a firewall, the machine name of the firewall.) This will look something like dynamic-62-56-11-81.park-s46b.dslaccess.co.uk. This is the best option if you know you will be accessing it from the outside form from the same place each time. It's just a little more secure.

But the second question indicates that you have a problem that can't be fixed by SQLYog. The problem is you don't have permission to add users. You'll need to speak to your host about that.

Have a great day!

=C=

Can you please tell me exactly what to put in each of the following fields (this would be so helpful):

-UserName

-Host

-Password

-Retype Passowrd

-Global Priveleges (check boxes)

Please give an example. That would be gr8! 😎

peterlaursen
      Participant
      Quote:

That is the point. If it is a server at an ISP, it is very common that they only let you manage users from their web-based Control Panal Application.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.