Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

GPL

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog Comments GPL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Is this product protected under the GPL?

I'd be interested in this if it were licensed under the GPL.

Thanks!

-joe

Ritesh
      Quote:
      Is this product protected under the GPL?

NO. :huh:

Why not GPL this baby? I'm not trying to be a pest, just wondering.

Thanks,

-joe

CalEvans
      Quote:
      I'd be interested in this if it were licensed under the GPL.

I'm just curious, why would you NOT be interested in it if it's not released under the GPL?

=C=

There are many advantages for a consumer if a product is licensed under the GPL. The main one for me being that if I want to change something … I can.

What happens if development of this product is discontinued? I'm not going to roll this out to my company if I have no guarantee that it's going to be around in the future. I think the GPL guarantees this – whether I continue development or somebody else. What about upgrades / bug fixes? We have to wait for the developers to fix them.

I have nothing against this product, I downloaded it and really like it … I'll use it at home without hesitation. The problem arises, though, that I have no guarantee this is going to be free in the future or will evolve to meet my needs so how can I roll this out to my company? Maybe home users are the target audience for webyog, I don't know.

Any information to help remove my reservations is welcomed.

Thanks,

-joe

sthingp

Not to troll or disrespect or anything…

I second this request/inquiry for GPL.

I recently had to abandon MySQL-Front because the developer called it quits. (that is what led me to SQLyog in the first place). Development of an otherwise great product was halted and left all the users scrambling for other solutions.

For webserver MySQL administration there is no equal to phpMyAdmin because this product is a sustainable product, that will survive the individual developer's participation.

Also, when you go cross-platform (kudos!) user supplied patches will insure stability for every platform in the future.

Keep up the good work!

-SΓΈren

CalEvans

The following should be considered an opinion, not a statement of fact. (ok, it's a statement of fact from my POV. πŸ™‚

Joe,

I'm not sure I can remove your fears. But I would like to ask. Do you use Windows? Why if it's not Open Source?

SQLyog is a great product. Open Sourcing it would not necessarily make it a better product. It would make it a more open product.

I love Open Source and am an evangelist of it where ever I can be. However, I will not refuse to use a product based solely on the concept that it is not OS. You use Windows, but it is not open source. Why hold SQLyog to a different standard simply because you did not have to pay for it?

It is not true that user supplied patches insure stability. When a project is properly managed, open source or not, it will be stable. User supplied patches are just as likely to induce instability as closed source patches.

Soren, when you abandoned mysql-front, was it because it did not work and the developers left or just because the developers left? I can name at least 1 program that I use that hasn't been in development for 3 years. However,it still works, works well and I see no reason to look for another one.

The simple answer to what I would do if it went away is what I always do in that situation. Find something else. BUT, knowing what I know of the development team, and having tested the product for several months I can say with confidence that if they were to stop working on it tomorrow and close up shop, I could use the product for the next 1-2 years without a problem.

(IMHO) phpMySQlAdmin is a PITA. Give me SQLyog any day. I'd rather use the CLI than try and wade through endless screens to get things done. But that's just me.(/IMHO)

I respect any author's right to choose how to license his/her software as I expect people to respect my right to do the same. When I release GPL code it is because I want to, not because I feel the need to. And when I decide to keep my product close source, for whatever reason, it is for the same reason. If you decide, for your own reasons, not to deploy this product; I respect that decision as well. πŸ™‚

Please don't take any of this as argumentative. I'm really just trying to state my position.

HTH,

=C=

Medozas

Well, actually I really respect what you do.. Really!

SQLyog is in my oppinion the best free mysql-frontend availiable.

It's a pity you really don't license it under GPL, because I could and would help in development of SQLyog. And nothing offensive, but: Do you really think you “alone” can keep up the speed of new development coming out now with MySQL (Foreign Keys, Stored Procedures, Views, Master-Slave-Replica, etc.)?

Well, maybe you can, I don't know. Under GPL all kind of developers around the world would help create a better, faster, more stable product, for the whole mysql-community.

As mentioned above, its right that as the development of mysql-front discontinued a lot of people were standing, and had to choose a new front-end…

Just for file: I'm not explicitly asking for Releasing to GPL, i just want to show up a few positive things about that. As beeing a professional MySQL-User for also commercial use, i also have bought EMS MySQL Manager (www.ems-hitech.com) and MySQL Tools Developer (www.mysqltools.com), but thats only because I don't have any other possibility (BLOB, etc.). But indeed, as far as SQLyog goes, i use it (and love it). With GPL, i even would use my private ressources for development…

Keep up the good work

πŸ™‚

Medozas

Ritesh
      Quote:
      but thats only because I don't have any other possibility (BLOB, etc.).

SQLyog supports BLOB data in a complete way πŸ™‚

Quote:
      but: Do you really think you “alone” can keep up the speed of new development coming out now with MySQL (Foreign Keys, Stored Procedures, Views, Master-Slave-Replica, etc.)?

We are completely dedicated to SQLyog and we will make sure that it keeps up with the pace of MySQL development.

Ritesh
      Quote:
      BLOB: But how about WMF, icons, Rich Text or HTML? Like EMS?

You can save, load any binary data using SQLyog

Medozas

BLOB: But how about WMF, icons, Rich Text or HTML? Like EMS?

I know it has full support πŸ™‚

Thats why i said

Quote:
      SQLyog is in my oppinion the best free mysql-frontend availiable.

I hope you can keep up! πŸ™‚

If you might need any development help, and are interested, tell me… I'll be happy to support πŸ™‚

If it might help: VC++ 6, VB6, COM, FoxPro, Delphi, a. o.

mailto:[email protected]

Medozas

sthingp
      CalEvans wrote on Mar 18 2003, 10:01 PM:

Soren, when you abandoned mysql-front, was it because it did not work and the developers left or just because the developers left? I can name at least 1 program that I use that hasn't been in development for 3 years. However,it still works, works well and I see no reason to look for another one.

The simple answer to what I would do if it went away is what I always do in that situation. Find something else. BUT, knowing what I know of the development team, and having tested the product for several months I can say with confidence that if they were to stop working on it tomorrow and close up shop, I could use the product for the next 1-2 years without a problem.

(IMHO) phpMySQlAdmin is a PITA. Give me SQLyog any day. I'd rather use the CLI than try and wade through endless screens to get things done. But that's just me.(/IMHO)

This is an interesting discussion.

Yes the halted development has caused problems for me… Stability issues unresolved, and often “This is not allowed in this version” because MYSQL-front is not in sync with the MySQL versions. With 4.0 now at a production level MySQL-front has been left behind. That took about 6 months from the developers decision to quit. – not 1-2 year. Also, I am moving to a GNU/Linux OS soon.

Yes, phpMyAdmin is a bit cumbersome because of the HTML-platform (FORM-submitting, pageloading etc.)…

…BUT is has widespread support because of sustainability due to GPL – every user can count on it AND adjust it for their own needs. Furthermore, it is natively crossplatform due to the HTML-platform. It is mobile since you can use it from any computer with internet access. And multiple users can use phpMyAdmin at the same time.

Still, I respect the SQLyog developers decision at this point in time.

Keep up the good work.

Cal,

I want to state … this is a good product and the developer(s) has done a GREAT job. Please don't think that I don't appreciate the hard work that went into this. πŸ™‚ And like Cal, I also respect one's right to license his/her product any way s/he sees fit.

Quote:
      Do you use Windows? Why if it's not Open Source?

It's funny that you actually mentioned Windows to me … if you knew me, you would laugh too. I cannot stand Windows … nor do I willingly use it. I only use it at work (30% of the time) or for programs that the creators haven't written for Linux ( I know of one πŸ˜› ). If SQLyog were GPL, I could rewrite it for Linux and have another reason to not use Windows.

Quote:
      I will not refuse to use a product based solely on the concept that it is not OS. You use Windows, but it is not open source. Why hold SQLyog to a different standard simply because you did not have to pay for it?

You are making assumptions again that I willingly use windows … I actually refuse to use windows whenever I can because it's not GPL. Licensing can change at any moment – and does. (not to mention all of it's nice little call home features πŸ˜‰ ). I hold Windows to the exact same standard I hold SQLyog.

Quote:
      It is not true that user supplied patches insure stability. When a project is properly managed, open source or not, it will be stable. User supplied patches are just as likely to induce instability as closed source patches.

I don't think this was directed at me because I never said anything about stability. My reference to patching had to deal with the time a consumer has to wait until the lone developer gets around to developing a patch.

-joe

Bogdan Zagan

Nice dilema here… but there are alot of forums that debate this aspect Windows vs. OpenSource. I guess this is not the forum nor the site for this kind of debate.

SQLYog is a free product that is growing, and when will be mature enough probably will become payed, and maybe will maintain a lite free variant. This is how is happening in the most cases. It is a normal process.

I wish luck to the development team !

Anonymous

Calus, a few comments on one of your posts.

” I'm not sure I can remove your fears. But I would like to ask. Do you use Windows? Why if it's not Open Source?

SQLyog is a great product. Open Sourcing it would not necessarily make it a better product. It would make it a more open product.

I love Open Source and am an evangelist of it where ever I can be. However, I will not refuse to use a product based solely on the concept that it is not OS. You use Windows, but it is not open source. Why hold SQLyog to a different standard simply because you did not have to pay for it?”

Firstly, this comparison to windows in my view doesnt have anything to do with open source. A valid reason for wanting open source is that everyone who wants to and can program can make an add-on or the benefit of all users. Also if an error is found, it is easier to get the error fixed if the product is open source (instead of having a few programmers working to solve an error you have nearly all the programmers who use the product chipping in and fixing the errors. This means more programmers can concentrate on more errors at 1 time, with a closed group you can only work on 1 thing at a time.

” It is not true that user supplied patches insure stability. When a project is properly managed, open source or not, it will be stable. User supplied patches are just as likely to induce instability as closed source patches.”

This point is valid, but closed group patches as I said above usually, and I state usually patch less than patches generated by users in an open source community, as in closed groups you can only do so much at one time.

“Soren, when you abandoned mysql-front, was it because it did not work and the developers left or just because the developers left? I can name at least 1 program that I use that hasn't been in development for 3 years. However,it still works, works well and I see no reason to look for another one.”

The reason for leaving mysql-front is not due to abandonment, but due to the fact that i cannot be downloaded anymore. The developer decided to stop developing, and concentrate on other things. This happens in closed group development, the developers decide to move to something else as they have no reason to stay with the project, they dont get anything for it. With open source you can walk away, but the project remains in construction because those who carry the project on want to build it and want to develop it further, when they decide to leave they can and the cycle continues. By not having open source if the developer decieds to call it a day, then thats the end of the program.

“The simple answer to what I would do if it went away is what I always do in that situation. Find something else. BUT, knowing what I know of the development team, and having tested the product for several months I can say with confidence that if they were to stop working on it tomorrow and close up shop, I could use the product for the next 1-2 years without a problem.

(IMHO) phpMySQlAdmin is a PITA. Give me SQLyog any day. I'd rather use the CLI than try and wade through endless screens to get things done. But that's just me.(/IMHO)”

The point of the open source is not the ability to continue using it, rather the ability to allow new users to download it, as many products mysql-front included, stop downloads from the site when the stop development. This means that it make it difficult for new people to use the product.

“I respect any author's right to choose how to license his/her software as I expect people to respect my right to do the same. When I release GPL code it is because I want to, not because I feel the need to. And when I decide to keep my product close source, for whatever reason, it is for the same reason. If you decide, for your own reasons, not to deploy this product; I respect that decision as well. “

This is not really a question of respecting the authors wishes. the question was would the author not consider making the product open source, not a demand. If it went open source it would mean that well after it stoped being developed here people could download it from somewhere else , and would also mean that more features could be added, drawing new uses, and could mean that sqlyog could become one of the programs used by the majority of users who dont wantto have to pay or cannot afford to pay for such a package. Dont get me wrong, I am all for open source yet none of the programs i have written are open source, most of my programs havent been released, and even if they get released they wouldnt be open source. I have yet to write something fro the open source community, but this is an issue of time or legality rather than not wanting to (most of my programs are encryption software so i cannot distribute them outside Ireland where I live due to export restrictions from ireland and the legalities of encryption in other countries).

“Please don't take any of this as argumentative. I'm really just trying to state my position.”

I hope that you also take my comments in the same way. I am not trying to be argumentative, I am putting my opinion out there . I feel that we cannot really gain information or even have an unbiased opinion without discussing or comenting, we can learn aot from others comments.

πŸ˜€ :D:D:):):):lol:

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.