Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Find Character In All Fields

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog Find Character In All Fields

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      andrewteg
      Participant

I'm looking for an easy way to find oddball characters and clean them up for a database. Basically we have a lot of pasted in data that includes data like â that should be a regular a and things of that nature.

I know it'd take a while but I'd like a way to identify all the occurrences of that in a table, a set of tables, or even an entire database if possible.

Is there a way to do that with MySQL or SQLyog or would I have to dump out the database data to a text file, search that, make a note of the table and row, and then go back into the live data at that end and fix it?

Thanks,

Andrew

peterlaursen
      Participant

One thing you could try is to dump, 'search and replace' in an editor and import again.

However problems that may occur are:

1) dump may be too big for an editor (take one table at a time). I know that Ultraedit for instance handles very big files without being unacceptable slow.

2) if you have binary data (BLOBs) then

* such characters may occur in the textual display of such BLOB so here you should not 'search and replace' them of course.

* some editors may garble HEX patterns that are not valid UTF8.  With SQLyog Enterprise/Ultimate the 'scheduled backup' has an option to set the encoding of the dump. Make it latin1  (ANSI) for this special purpose – not utf8, as all HEX patterns are valid in ANSI.

* some editors may truncate long BLOB/TEXT/bulk inserts

— so be careful – do not drop the original tables before you are sure that it is OK!  For instance you could 'duplicate table', next export-edit-import the duplicate. Now rename the original and rename the duplicate to the original name.

peterlaursen
      Participant

And besides I will move you to the SQLyog category!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.