Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Feature Request … Auto-update

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Feature Request … Auto-update

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      tdunning

Sqlyog should check for updates either automagically or on request. This would allow you to roll new micro-versions without changing the release number on your web-site, but still allow your users to determine if they have the latest version.

The build number should also be accessible under help->about.

peterlaursen
      Participant
      Quote:
      This would allow you to roll new micro-versions without changing the release number on your web-site

I don't think the way that SQLyog is compliled makes it possible to roll out 'micro-versions' (or 'deltas' in Linux RPM-terminlogi) or any other sort of 'modular compilation'. After all the whole installer is only 5 MB, so a complete download is not a big deal. And the installation proces takes only about 10 seconds. So I don't think there is any need for any 'modular compilation' either.

A 'check for update' however would be nice. You often find it in the 'help'-menu. There is plenty of room for an icon too.

I would HATE an auto-update that is not optional !!

And I totally disagree that version number should not change. Even if ONE SINGLE BIT changes the version number should change! it could be like 5.0a and 5.0b then. That would be OK. I remeber once Ritesh posted a new version. There was a problem with the installer script. He fixed it and posted the fix with same version number a few hours later. That froze our relationship for a week 😆 .But I am serious about this. ANY version should be uniquely identified. If someone experiences problems with version x.y and another one does not, you MUST know that there is only ONE version x.y. If not support would be impossible.

Ritesh
      Quote:
      And I totally disagree that version number should not change. Even if ONE SINGLE BIT changes the version number should change! it could be like 5.0a and 5.0b then. That would be OK. I remeber once Ritesh posted a new version. There was a problem with the installer script. He fixed it and posted the fix with same version number a few hours later. That froze our relationship for a week  .But I am serious about this. ANY version should be uniquely identified. If someone experiences problems with version x.y and another one does not, you MUST know that there is only ONE version x.y. If not support would be impossible.

True!

We are thinking of an auto-update option and its in our TO-DO list but we have other important features to implement before we start coding for the auto-update option.

peterlaursen
      Participant

@tdunning

the version no. IS available from help … about.

larsen
      Participant

anything new to a “check for update”? would be nice

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.