Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Feature: Monyog Able To Change Dynamic Variables To Suggested Values

forums forums Monyog Monyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Feature: Monyog Able To Change Dynamic Variables To Suggested Values

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

I'm not sure what the architecture of MONyog is but I believe MONyog must have a service running to capture results. Since it does such a good job of picking up problems and suggesting variable changes, would it not be easy enough to use the mysql executable to change the dynamic variables at runtime?

The other suggestion would be to generate configuration files based on the suggested settings, whilst taking into account any problems. I think this would help relieve some of the pressure that system admins have, especially those of us without good MySQL training / experience.

Comments welcome…

Kind Regards,

Gareth

peterlaursen
      Participant

1) MONyog is basically a (webserver) service. I think that is explained in the docs!

2) We will not need to use the 'mysql' client if that is what you mean. MONyog is compiled with the C-API client code. It is a 'full-blooded' mysql client itself!

3) We could generate 'code snippets' for use with the mysql configuration file. But to change the file and to restart the server with the configuration we need shell access – a mysql client cannot. SSH is an option though. I won't say that we will never do such things, but it involves a lot of code actually, and MONyog is still pretty young. For the next months we will focus on:

* detailed InnoDB counters (SHOW INNODB STATUS, SHOW MUTEX STATUS)

* ssh tunnelling to mysql servers

* analyzing the slow query log

* analysis of historical data, trend analysis

Hi Peter

I confess I have not read the documents, but in a way that is testiment to the ease in which MONyog installed and started working! 😉

I understand it is a web service, but there is a service running on my Windows server so I assumed that is where the “magic” happens. As you'll know, there are certain variables that can be changed at runtime (most of them in fact) and it would be great to tune those directly from MONyog (without restarting the server) to test their effectiveness. As mentioned, you could then produce config snippets to make the change permenant.

Please, please keep up the great work. I'm a big fan of both MONyog and SQLyog. In fact, MONyog alone kept me from ditching our MySQL database and going with an MS alternative saving literally weeks of conversion work.

Edit: I like the idea of a “slow query log” analysis!

Kind Regards,

Gareth

peterlaursen
      Participant

“there are certain variables that can be changed at runtime” that is true .. and actulay I thought about it myself only after posting!

It is a very good idea to directly issue a “SET GLOBAL … ” statement from inside MONyog and be able to compare the situation with and without it after some hours!

peterlaursen wrote on Oct 9 2007, 03:09 PM:
      “there are certain variables that can be changed at runtime” that is true .. and actulay I thought about it myself only after posting!

It is a very good idea to directly issue a “SET GLOBAL … ” statement from inside MONyog and be able to compare the situation with and without it after some hours!

So does that mean it's on the TODO list? 😛

Gareth

peterlaursen
      Participant

I think we will plan in detail for analysis of historical data/trends by mid or end next week.

Defining and comparing 'snapshots' would absolutely be relevant!

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.