Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Enable Show Profile?

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog Enable Show Profile?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      bkelley

Hi, I am trying to determine the maximum value of a column/field. My understanding is that the MySQL command should be:”SELECT MAX(payroll) AS payroll FROM employees;”

However, when I enter that in SQLYog, I get this error message, and am not sure how to respond/fix it.

“The 'SHOW PROFILES' feature is disabled; you need MySQL built with 'enable-profiling' to have it working”.

Thoughts?

Brian

peterlaursen
      Participant

Please execute

1) SELECT VERSION();

2) SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%profil%';

.. and tell the output from both

But if server is not compiled with SHOW PROFILE option you cannot retrieve such information from the server.  In preferences you can disable it. Please see image.  

[attachment=1309:profile.jpg]

You can read here about the MySQL 'profiler': http://dev.mysql.com…y-profiler.html (Schumacher was a MySQL executive)

It was introduced in 5.0.37 but it is optional if the server is compiled with the option (but if it is not it is likely a mistake by the person (not updating his knowledge about MySQL) compiling the server you are using (tell your server admin to ./configure with –with-profiling option whne building on Unix/Linux). Official MySQL binaries have the option and it is very useful if you want to know where the server spends time when executing a query).

Also what SQLyog version are you using? Release notes for 8.17:

“When connected to a 5.0 server compiled without PROFILING option and with Query Profiler/SHOW PROFILE feature enabled SQLyog would still send PROFILING-related queries. It was not properly detected that the server did not support this. MySQL versions from 5.1 and up (also when compiled without PROFILING option) were not affected.” So upgrading to SQLyog 8.17 or higher should also solve this.

peterlaursen
      Participant

The underlying bug with the MySQL 5.0 server (an undocumented server variable) is described and verified here:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=48344

As long as server supports SHOW PROFILE it is not a problem, but if it does not it is with SQLyog 8.x before 8.17

GreenAlien

I'm having this same issue. I get the “feature is disabled” warning too when I run a basic select statement.

I asked my webhost, WiredTree, to enable this option. But they said it's part of the RPM so they can't. So I asked them to upgrade mysql from 5.0 to 5.1.

They just updated it to 5.1.40. I no longer get the warning message. But if I do “SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%profil%';” It tells me “PROFILING: OFF” so presumably it's still disabled, just that sqlyog now detects/ignores it.

I don't think I've experienced this issue using Sqlyog to connect to any other databases/webhosts so my question is, how unusual is it to not have this enabled? Is it anything to be concerned about?

Thanks.

peterlaursen
      Participant

I think we have 3 such reports till now. We have 2 RHEL5 dedicated publicly available hosted servers with MySQL 5.1.32 serving our websites and here it works fine with both, but I do not know how they were installed (these servers are slightly patched by our hosting company (RackSpace)).  But I also do not think we ever encountered this with RHEL, Fedora, CentOS and SuSE servers running in our office (used for testing, development etc.).  I will ask our systems engineer if he has set up those with the MySQL server shipped with the Linux distribution or with official MySQL server builds. 

What is the Linux dialect of your server and do you know if the RPM's used are official MySQL RPMs or RPMs distributed by a Linux distributor (such as Red Hat)? I would be very much surprised if it was a official MySQL RPM build.

How serious it is depends on whether you want/need this information or not! Only you can answer that question I believe.

peterlaursen
      Participant

You are right.  We checked RHEL5.3 and 5.4.  They ship with 5.0.45 and 5.0.77 respectively and none of those have profiling support.  So it seems that RedHat build the server binary without this functionality.

I have to consider this a stupid mistake on their side.   Basically I think they forgot to update their build script with this ./configure parameter.  Official MySQL RPM builds from here ftp://mirrors.dotsrc.org/mysql/Downloads/ would work fine (I would use the RPM-'glibc23'-compiled server for recent distros supporting RPM installation).  But if your host does not want to install software that is not official  RedHat software, neither you or we can do anything about it. 

GreenAlien
      'peterlaursen' wrote on '19:

You are right.  We checked RHEL5.3 and 5.4.  They ship with 5.0.45 and 5.0.77 respectively and none of those have profiling support.  So it seems that RedHat build the server binary without this functionality.

I have to consider this a stupid mistake on their side.   Basically I think they forgot to update their build script with this ./configure parameter.  Official MySQL RPM builds from here ftp://mirrors.dotsrc.org/mysql/Downloads/ would work fine (I would use the RPM-'glibc23'-compiled server for recent distros supporting RPM installation).  But if your host does not want to install software that is not official  RedHat software, neither you or we can do anything about it. 

Thanks for checking Peter. It does sound like basic functionality which should be enabled by default. I think this used to be enabled on my host and at some point recently got disabled otherwise I'd have probably noticed it before now.

This: cat /etc/redhat-release

Gives: CentOS release 5.4 (Final)

I was previously using MySQL 5.0.87-community

I'm now using 5.1.40.

As mentioned, both MySQL versions had/have SHOW PROFILES disabled. So if this was a mistake, it's something they carried over between two releases many months apart. Sounds like a policy/decision. A stupid one at that.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.