Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

does sqlyog support char-set/unicode handling?

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests does sqlyog support char-set/unicode handling?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      vickle

😮

I went through sqlyog but find no property setting relating to charater set or unicode handling, which mysql does support …………. I think it real important for dealing with languages other than english.

does syslog support those features or do i miss something?

thx 😀

Shadow

Character set handling is done by MySql and not by SQLyog. There might be issues with displaying particular character sets, such as arabic or cyrillic.

vickle

mysql supports charater set handling by setting individual database/table/column a default charater set, through certain extra sql statement syntax. I think sqlyog should at least provide some facitlities to set such properties when creating / altering a table.

also mysql supports that database server and the client (such as sqlyog) can have different charater sets. I think such features so important to use mysql in modern applications.

😆 what do you think ?

Shadow

To be honest, I have never had to use different encodings in the same server (not just db!), this is why I have never missed features concerning character sets. This might be a good idea though.

SQLyog may use other encoding than MySql because SQLyog is influenced by Windows settings. However, I don't think it is too wise to do so…

vickle

“because SQLyog is influenced by Windows settings. “

…….. did you mean SQLyog would use different default char set depending on Windows version? 😕

In my case, in order to handle multilingual texts, I would like to set the char set in the MySql db to be unicode/utf8, where the default is latin1, as does SQLyog, i think. So here comes the situation where the server and its client are in different char set/encodings, and what would happen if I input/update data from SQLyog but no way to tell in what encoding the actual data are?

Since SQLyog is an admin tool for MySql, It needs some features to handle different char sets definitely. 😎

Shadow
      Quote:
      …….. did you mean SQLyog would use different default char set depending on Windows version?

I does. I had troubles with some of the special Hungarian characters on the servers that use English character set…

Frankly, sometimes I'm really fed up with charset conversion, it would be nice to have a single one that could host all the characters.

vickle

Depending on Windows to choose charater set would likely lead to misbehaviour, and breaks the persistence of the program. That really is a bad design.

I often have to tackle Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese and Janpanese charaters, all of which are in different encodings, at the same time, so the problem is significant to me.

Well ……… I haven't tried SQLyog 3.5. Does it do the job now?

It is too bad SQLyog goes non-free. 🙁

Shadow

The problem is that windows may display the characters differently, NOT SQLyog. But displaying does not change the underlying data.

bstil

The FAQ states:

>A. Yes! Starting with SQLyog 3.5, SQLyog is completely MySQL 4.1 compatible.

MySQL 4.1 has many Unicode features. Charactersets such as UTF-8 can be set at the database level, table level, or even column level. SQLyog would become even more helpful with robust characterset support!

Ritesh

Unicode support is planned in one of the future versions of SQLyog.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.