Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Data Entry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Sorensson

Having stumbled my way through many SQLyog functions, I commend the creators of the routine. In may ways it simplifies and speeds exploiting MySQL.

I am attempting to convert several hundred pages of notes describing experiments with salt rising bread to an MySQL database to improve the potential for learning from the notes.

Twenty years ago when I used Microrim's rBase it was possble to duplicate a newly entered record for editing and entering. This feature saves the effort of re-typing (dates, common references, etc.) for each successive record.

(Interestingly, as I checked my printout of the help file for the terminology associated with the F11 key, I find no reference to it.) Whatever! I select the table of interest in the Browser, hit F11, and can enter data conveniently. It will be even more convenient when a copy of the last record can be edited to update the relatively few fields unique relative to the earlier record.

Sorensson

CalEvans

MySQL DOCS

use insert into tablename select * from tablename where primaryKeyName = lastKeyValue ON DUPLICATE KEY UPDATE primaryKeyName=primaryKeyName+1;

Then use the data edit feature to edit the new record.

not as easy as having it built into the FE but it will work.

=C=

Sorensson

Thank you, Cal.

I shall try that. Meanwhile, I have managed to find the R:Base (rather than rBase) discs and loaded it to C: via Command Prompt on Win2K.

R:Base can “Unload”, in their terminology, in CSV ASCII format. So, it will be possible to import the CSV files to MySQL and I am off and running.

Apart from the fact that it is a DOS-based system, R:Base may have the features I need to manipulate my data. Immediately, no one else will be working with the material so I may forego transfer to MySQL until such time as someone else, lacking R:Base, wants to monkey with it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.