Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

CSV Import

forums forums SQLyog Using SQLyog CSV Import

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Bruce5M

Hi,

I'm new to SQLyog and MySQL and need to import a .csv file into an existing database/table. The csv file is quote and comma delimited and the fields correspond directly to the table, there are no column headings.

My problem is I cannot get the correct “line terminated by: ” setting. I've tried the default n and I also tried de-selecting it completely. The csv file is on a XP Pro box with about 705,000 records. I can load it into MS Access no problem.

When I try CSV import I set “Fields terminated by: ” to a comma and the “Fields enclosed by: ” is set to a single quote. Variable length is checked but with or without the “line terminated by:” setting I get only 352870 records out of the 705,000+.

I've found no reference in the doc's to the meaning of n for line termination and what values are allowed. When I read a record in my software and print the hex value the line ends with a quote, there is no $0D0A$ ( cr/lf) at the end.

Thanks

Bruce Racht

CalEvans

nl ???

=C=

Bruce5M

Thanks Cal.

Bruce

peterlaursen
      Participant

you write: ” I can load it into MS Access no problem.”

then export it from Access into MySQL (first create an empty database using sqlyog)

JerryL
      CalEvans wrote on Mar 14 2004, 08:43 PM:
      nl ???

=C=

I have about the same problem as the previous user… but the nl solution doesn't work… neither does n or l or nr or AUTO or any of my other attempts to snag this by trial and error.

PSPAD says the records in my file end with hex B6 which they call &para. My table is large, so I am using WINRAR, but the database doesn't seem to have a problems with that. It also has no trouble restoring an entire database created the same way, or a smaller single table non-compressed table also created by the same software. I'm running out of ideas… and shudder at the though of splitting the table into 6 or 7 noncompressed chunks… ugh! Any thoughts? Is there any documentation for the corect way to enter the line control parameters into the box (abbreviations, hex codes, actual characters?) Oh, I also tried putting a ; at the end of each line and entering that in the line termination box… result was too many fields in first record error message.

peterlaursen
      Participant

did you try 'rn' ('cariage return' followed by 'newline')?

This is DOS/Windows standard for linebreak (Unix/Linux is 'n' only).

You could inspect/view the file in a HEX editor! If you do not know how to do this, just attache a small example (please zip before attaching).

peterlaursen
      Participant
      JerryL wrote on Jan 23 2008, 09:22 PM:
      I have about the same problem as the previous user… but the nl solution doesn't work… neither does n or l or nr or AUTO or any of my other attempts to snag this by trial and error.

PSPAD says the records in my file end with hex B6 which they call &para. My table is large, so I am using WINRAR, but the database doesn't seem to have a problems with that. It also has no trouble restoring an entire database created the same way, or a smaller single table non-compressed table also created by the same software. I'm running out of ideas… and shudder at the though of splitting the table into 6 or 7 noncompressed chunks… ugh! Any thoughts? Is there any documentation for the corect way to enter the line control parameters into the box (abbreviations, hex codes, actual characters?) Oh, I also tried putting a ; at the end of each line and entering that in the line termination box… result was too many fields in first record error message.

First i will ask you to add to the topic. braching liek this is very confusing (and I would wish the Forums software eitehr supported it better or did not support it at all!) I posted a reply reading

“did you try 'rn' ('cariage return' followed by 'newline')?

This is DOS/Windows standard for linebreak (Unix/Linux is 'n' only).

You could inspect/view the file in a HEX editor! If you do not know how to do this, just attache a small example (please zip before attaching).”

Now I think you understand a HEX editor. anyway a small example/test case is much better than words!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.