Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

"column" Text Selection

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests "column" Text Selection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      ronjeremy_69
      Participant

I often need to copy the text of just one column from a resultset that contains many columns (without having to rewrite the query of course). To do this I highlight and copy entire rows of a query result (in the Result tab) and paste into a freeware text editor called “PSPad”. I do this because PSPad has a feature that allows you to select the text by column instead of by row. Then after i highlight what i want in PSPad i then copy and paste into my development environment, etc.

I would like to request a similar feature in SQLyog. It would make things much more efficient and easier if there was an option to be able to select text by column directly inside the Result tab. This would also be a nice compliment to the “Show Table Data In Text” feature I know you will be coming out with soon 🙂

I am attaching a screenshot of PSPad where I have pasted text results from SQLYog and highlighted some text (in column selection mode) for copying.

peterlaursen
      Participant

I know PSpad well myself.

Yes, 'copy row(s) to clipboard' is a nice idea.  I cannot tell how difficult it would be to implement that.  We will discuss.

ronjeremy_69
      Participant
      peterlaursen wrote on Jun 1 2007, 03:03 AM:
      Yes, 'copy row(s) to clipboard' is a nice idea.  I cannot tell how difficult it would be to implement that.  We will discuss.

This feature has to do with the manner in which you can highlight text you would like to copy. Copying row(s) is the exact opposite of what is being suggested. The current way the Result tab allows you to highlight text IS ALREADY row(s).

For example, first in SQLyog click “Edit” and make sure “Show Results In Text” is checked. Then execute a query of your choosing so that several rows appear in the Result tab. Then somewhere in the Result tab click and hold down your mouse button and start dragging down. See how each ENTIRE row gets highlighted as you drag down?

This requested feature would allow you to drag WITHOUT entire row(s) being highlighted. Peter, since it sounds like you have PSPad, to see what I am talking about in PSPad choose “Edit–>Selection Type–>Column Selection”. Then load a text file or paste a bunch of text into PSPad. Now click somewhere on that text and hold down your mouse button and start dragging. See how you can selectively highlight just a column of text (however wide and long you want) instead of the entire rows being highlighted?

peterlaursen
      Participant

sorry .. I meant COLUMNS, not ROWS.

I will try this with PSpad!

ronjeremy_69
      Participant
      peterlaursen wrote on Jun 1 2007, 08:02 AM:
      sorry .. I meant COLUMNS, not ROWS.

I will try this with PSpad!

Peter, were you able to try out Column Selection mode? It would be soooooo nice to be able to use this type of text selection in the results tab!

peterlaursen
      Participant

I think my colleague Adarsh did.  I shall ask him!

peterlaursen
      Participant

I think my colleague Adarsh did.  I shall ask him!

peterlaursen
      Participant

Now I also tried this.

We will need to consider a columns selection.  it is not very easy to do a 'square' selection in text-mode in RESULT tab.  

Basically we like the idea.  

But we will need to finish what we have started before giving priority to this r

quest and considering possible implementations. 

ronjeremy_69
      Participant
      peterlaursen wrote on Jun 14 2007, 08:50 AM:
      Now I also tried this.

We will need to consider a columns selection.  it is not very easy to do a 'square' selection in text-mode in RESULT tab.  

Basically we like the idea.  

But we will need to finish what we have started before giving priority to this r

quest and considering possible implementations. 

Cool. Since the mysql text results are fixed-width, being able to select a 'square' is the perfect way to extract some desired text (especially for a web developer who is constantly copying and pasting!)

shubh

One can do square selection in text view of Result/Table Data Tab by Alt + Selection of area.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.