Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Capturing Queries In Real Time

forums forums Monyog Monyog Comments Capturing Queries In Real Time

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jp43

I just downloaded the free trial of your software – I was under the impression that I could capture SQL queries in real time.

I am using a php/mysql app which dynamically creates queries depending on which part of the application is being used.

I am noticing that there is a slowdown when using a particular component of this web app, and I want to use your tool to tune the database. I do this on a regular basis in our Microsoft SQL environment, and I came across your tool.

Is there a way to capture queries as they come in, sort of like how Microsoft SQL Profiler does?

From there, I can use your tool to run the query and see how many full table scans are occurring, thus allowing me to tune our database by created necessary indexes, etc.

Thanks for any info. Will be purchasing a license in the next few days.

Mahesh

Please try MONyog(MySQL Monitoring and Advisory tool)

The Query Analyzer feature of MONyog helps you identify problem SQL. MONyog can find problem SQL by one or more of the following methods:

Taking SHOW PROCESSLIST snapshots at regular intervals (using MONyog Sniffer)

Using MySQL Proxy to collect profiling data (using MONyog Sniffer)

Parsing Slow Query Log and General Query Log (using MONyog Log Parser)

There are several advantages and disadvantages of each approach.

SHOW PROCESSLIST is available in all MySQL versions and it is the easiest to setup. However, taking a snapshot of SHOW PROCESSLIST does not guarantee that all queries will be captured. Many short-lived queries can be missed between two successive snapshots. It is a quick and easy way to find long running queries.

Log parsing requires some additional setup. Also, switching on the General Query Log puts a significant amount of load on the server. You should always keep the Slow Query Log switched on. Parsing the Slow Query Log is an effective way to find bad queries.

Using MySQL Proxy gives you the most accurate information on profiling SQL. However, during profiling you have to configure your clients to connect to MySQL Proxy, which in turn connects to MySQL server. Using MySQL Proxy ensures that all queries are profiled. It helps you to find problematic queries that don't take much time, but are executed thousands of times. Eliminating such queries can significantly improve the performance of your application.

To use the MONyog Query Analyzer functionality for a specific server, the server 'general query log' or 'slow query log' details must be configured in 'Connection Settings' or a 'query sniffer' must be enabled for that server.

Using the above tools to find problem SQL is almost always a post-mortem excercise. In certain situations you may want real-time notifications for long-running queries. MONyog can continuously monitor queries in real-time and send notifications (on mail or SNMP) for queries that take more than a specified amount of time to execute. You can also specify an option to kill such queries instantly.

You can download TRIAL version of MONyog from here:

http://webyog.com/en/downloads.php

jp43

Thanks! I'll check out your other product too

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.