Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Can't move Datadir

forums forums Can't move Datadir

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      peterlaursen
      Participant

In my my.cnf I have this line “datadir = d:/mysqldb/data/”

But It goes on using c:/mysql/data

I think it worked fram teh beginning with MySQL

Could it be an isssue with SQLyog ?

I'm running MySQL 4.0.

Shadow

I don't think so. I use SQlyog and both MySql 4.012 and 4.1 alpha, and I have both servers running on drive D: without any problem. Don't you happen to have a my.ini in your windows directory or any other config file that could possibly overwrite your settings in my.cnf?

You could check winmysqladmin as well…

CalEvans

To the best of my knowledge, SQLyog will ignore my.cnf if present. Simply because that file does not belong to it. Even if it tried to use it, SQLyog could do nothing with the datadir setting as this is a server level setting and cannot be changed while the server is running.

It is my understanding that unless you are using InnoDB tables, you should be able to stop the server, move the data dir to anywhere on the computer, repoint the datadir setting in your server control file (whatever it is called in Windows) and start the server.

what does winmysqladmin say your data dir is? Unless that has changed, you haven't changed the data dir.

More help can be found at MySQL's Website

HTH,

=C=

peterlaursen
      Participant

I'll try to answer some of the questions ..

I have the datadir-statement “datadir=d:/mysqldb/data” in both my.cnf and my.ini

The MysqlAdmin says (in “variables”) that datadir is c:mysqldata

Concerning InnoDB-tables, MySqlAdmin say's there are, but

– I have had some but they are now changed to MYIsam

– Lines in my.cnf referring to InnoDB have been commented out.

Yes something must be overriding! I can't change the server to the “nt-max” either. Further MySqladmin sees only the “test” DB. SQLyog and My SQL Control Center see them all. And they are accessible from console and through ODBC as well

It seems like system settings have been frozen somehow – maybe in connection with with my experiment with InnoDB.

Or could it be a problem with user rights… ? I am having the server on c: but the datadir should be on d: But maybe that's not possible ?

Shadow

It is possible to have the server and the dbs on different partitions because MySql will look for the dbs in the path specified by the datadir variable. In winmysqladmin there is a “my.ini setup” tab where you can change and save the settings. If I were you, I would delete my.cnf and use only my.ini to avoid confusion!

And the following may be of help as well:

If you want to use the InnoDB transactional tables, you need to manually create two new directories to hold the InnoDB data and log [email protected]., `c:ibdata' and `c:iblogs'. You will also need to add some extra lines to the option file. See section 7.5.2 InnoDB Startup Options.

peterlaursen
      Participant

I'll try that …

But if that does not work I think I'd better uninstall and install NMYSQL Again. It's not a Big Deal – backup and recover is easy with MyIsam tables …

peterlaursen
      Participant

Succes!

Uninstalling and reinstalling the server solved everything in 2 minutes!

I think system has been messed up by the “MySQL Control Center. alpha” – there's something real bad about user management in that program, I think.

Only Issue now is that WinMySQLAdmin still sees only the “test” database.

??????

But that's not important!

Thanks for support!

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.