Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Cannot Connect On Local Machine

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog BETA Discussions Cannot Connect On Local Machine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 36 reply threads
  • Author
      lazylester

I'm running mySQL now on my own PC, and I'm trying to connect with sqlyog v5.1 beta 5.

When I click “test connection” I get a successful connect to mysql (version 4.1.9-max).

However when I click on “connect” sqlyog just hangs. It's then unresponsive and has to be shut down. Of course because it's on my pc, I'm not using tunneling. I'm not sure what other details you need… OS is winxp. Mysql on my machine was installed from the “instant rails” package (in case that's relevant).

Any clues?

TIA

Les

peterlaursen
      Participant
      Quote:
      Mysql on my machine was installed from the “instant rails” package (in case that's relevant).

It could very well be. I have always been suspicious about those bundles. But I don't know anything particular about this one. What I know about instant rails is only what I just read here:

http://weblog.rubyonrails.com/archives/200…age-for-windows

When connecting SQLyog executes this SQL:

Quote:
      Set names 'default'; — or whatever charset you choose from dropdown

set sql_mode='';

show databases;

Does this bundle include a command-line or another client from where you can do the same? At least you should be able to to so from a Ruby script.

If the MySQL code has been modified not to allow for 'set names' or returns something unexpected, I don't know what could happen.

BTW: Are you able to connect to other servers?

lazylester
      peterlaursen wrote on Apr 1 2006, 06:25 PM:
      Does this bundle include a command-line or another client from where you can do the same? At least you should be able to to so from a Ruby script.

If the MySQL code has been modified not to allow for 'set names' or returns something unexpected, I don't know what could happen.

BTW: Are you able to connect to other servers?

Thanks, Peter,

I do have command line access available and I can connect from the command line, using the sql statements that you have said that sqlyog uses.

I am able to connect to other servers (via tunneling).

how does sqlyog find mysql on my pc?

peterlaursen
      Participant
      Quote:
      how does sqlyog find mysql on my pc?

It simply probes the port (3306 by default) I think. If this port responds and returns a valid MySQL response then SQLyog must assume that there is a MySQL server behind it. There is no other way. Now the 'test connection' must return what it should .. however some other call executed by SQLyog at the beginning ot connection seems not to return anything that SQLyog can handle. Looks to me like it just waits for something that never happens!

I think we should let Ritesh take over here. To get closer to this you'll need to know exactly what the client code does. And this is beyond my reach and understanding 😆

However you may try if 'MySQL Administrator' has the same problem with connection !?

lazylester

Well, today the problem is not present. It seems a pc reboot fixed the problem. Can't say whether that points to sqlyog or the mysql that I'm running. I suppose the problem is now documented on this forum, so if someone else runs into it, we will see a trend.

Suggest you don't pursue this problem until/unless it comes up again. Thanks much

peterlaursen
      Participant
      Quote:
      It seems a pc reboot fixed the problem.

I think then it is related to the OS-service.

Ritesh

Which MySQL version and are you using tunneling? Maybe, its a problem with the client API.

peterlaursen
      Participant

There is no problem other than his computer had 'dropped' the service. That happens on Windows. A reboot fixed it.

Ritesh
      peterlaursen wrote on Apr 3 2006, 04:39 PM:
      There is no problem other than his computer had 'dropped' the service. That happens on Windows. A reboot fixed it.

Even if the OS dropped the i.e. the MySQL is not running, SQLyog should throw a “Cant connect error”. It should not hang.

Also, the MySQL command line tool is able to connect without any problem. The command line and SQLyog both uses C client library to connect to the server. Only difference being the client library version.

peterlaursen
      Participant

OK, then 🙂

But if Les does not experience this agin, there is not need to go deeper into it.

I have no issue of the sort with connecting from SQLyog to ANY still-supported MySQL version.

Quote:
      i.e. the MySQL is not running ..

MySQL on Windows is multithreaded and who knows what each thread does? Some threads might have been up and some down. SQLyog was still trying to connect (server did not refuse connection) and thus no 'can't connect' message. There is no time-out in direct connection, I believe?

After all the problem is gone. If Les experiences this again, he must write again.

If not reproducable no one can do anything about it anyway. And quite normal in my opinion to reboot the OS in case of such probelm with a service/a daemon (win/*nix). From time to time things just don't get loaded right.

lazylester

Peter, Ritesh,

I hadn't been around these parts for a few days, and didn't notice that you guys were discussing the problem I had reported. It hasn't (yet) resurfaced. I'll be sure to let you know if it does.

I actually logged on here again to report another prob, but first let me go see if anyone else has seen it (I have a vague recollection I saw someone report this) else I'll start a new thread.

cheers

Les

Chris Owens

I'm seeing this exact problem on my WinXP Pro machine.

I'm using the basic XP firewall (as I'm behind a hardware firewall)… I have no spyware, viruses etc. I've tried opening up the required port on the XP firewall, and removing all entries and starting afresh… still no luck.

Sometimes it just works, other times it doesn't.

MySQL version is: 4.1.15-nt (not a bundle, just basic install)

SQLYog Version 5.1 Beta 5

It occurs accross reboots too… so a simple reboot doesn't always help.

Any ideas?

Chris Owens

For the record, I've just redownloaded 5.02 and tried to connect several times… every time it connects without a problem.

However, when I try 5.1 Beta 5 again, I can't connect (testing connection works) and SQLyog hangs and needs to be forcibly shut down.

Ritesh

This issue has been reported many times. I think there is indeed some problem.

@chris
      , @lazylester: Is there anyway that you can provide us with temporary access to the server?

Also, the issue might occur due to the newly implemented Auto-complete option. Can you try disabling Auto-complete and reconnect?

Chris Owens

Ritesh,

Sorry the server is local on an internal machine, however it contains…

Latest Joomla install database. (default content so far – not configured, so default stuf)

Latest PunBB install database. (default content so far – configured)

Default MySQL table (not touched)

Very basic MySQL database from university. (5 tables and about 30 rows in each)

The setup of the server is using all the default installation options (using the config wizard).

Disabling auto complete doesn't work either… although it does cause SQLYog to immediately shut down when clicking “OK” in the prefences panel.

Manoj
      Chris Owens wrote on Apr 6 2006, 02:38 AM:
      Disabling auto complete doesn't work either… although it does cause SQLYog to immediately shut down when clicking “OK” in the prefences panel.

Yes, there is one crashing bug in preferences.

you can disable autocomplete by editing the sqlyog.ini in the installation folder. Insert one string AutoComplete=0 in [GENERALPREF] section if it is not there, if it is there and it is =1 make it =0

Chris Owens
      Manoj wrote on Apr 6 2006, 05:14 AM:
      Yes, there is one crashing bug in preferences.

you can disable autocomplete by editing the sqlyog.ini in the installation folder. Insert one string AutoComplete=0 in [GENERALPREF] section if it is not there, if it is there and it is =1 make it =0

I think even though it crashed it disabled autocomplete anyway. As next time I looked it was disabled.

Still didn't work.

lazylester

Ritesh,

I too am not running mySQL on a server but on my own pc (at the moment anyway, of course, this wasn't the case when you and I were working on the base64 problem). So access is not possible.

I'm running Instant Rails, which includes mySQL 4.1.9-max, and I'm using sqlyog 5.1 beta 5 on winxp

It has been well behaved since I rebooted a couple of days ago, so not much new information except to say it happened once and let's watch for it again!

Les

lazylester

Ritesh, I have more information for you…

1. The “cannot connect on local machine” problem exists again today. By this I mean that I cannot connect every time to a mySQL server that is running on the same PC as sqlyog. There's no tunnel. However when I test the connection it ALWAY returns “connection successful”. Occasionally (rarely) I DO succeed in connecting.

2. When I cannot connect, sqlyog “hangs” and has to be closed down. I use the X in the top right corner of the sqlyog window, it's still active, even though the title bar at the top of the sqlyog window says SQLyog Enterprise – MySQL GUI (Not Responding).

3. When I shut down mysqlyog, the OS gives me the warning screen and I click “End Now” then the OS gives me the dialog box: “You chose to end the nonresponsive program, SQLyogEnt.exe” and asks if I'd like to “tell Microsoft about this problem”.

4. It sends two files to Microsoft (with an error report?). These files are SQLyogEnt.exe.mdmp and appcompat.txt, I can send you these files if they are of any use to you.

5. I tried to configure sqlyog to disable autocomplete. But the moment I clicked the checkbox to disable autocomplete, sqlyog disappeared suddenly. This is A DIFFERENT problem that is being discussed elsewhere on this forum.

Chris Owens
      lazylester wrote on Apr 6 2006, 10:42 PM:
      Ritesh, I have more information for you…

1. The “cannot connect on local machine” problem exists again today. By this I mean that I cannot connect every time to a mySQL server that is running on the same PC as sqlyog. There's no tunnel. However when I test the connection it ALWAY returns “connection successful”. Occasionally (rarely) I DO succeed in connecting.

Clicking test connection returns connection successful for me too. It crashes as soon as I try to really connect.

lazylester
      Chris Owens wrote on Apr 6 2006, 04:25 PM:
      Clicking test connection returns connection successful for me too. It crashes as soon as I try to really connect.

Chris, when you say “it crashes” do you mean that it just “hangs” and doesn't respond except to the “close” X in the top right corner?

Ritesh
      lazylester wrote on Apr 6 2006, 09:42 PM:
      5. I tried to configure sqlyog to disable autocomplete. But the moment I clicked the checkbox to disable autocomplete, sqlyog disappeared suddenly. This is A DIFFERENT problem that is being discussed elsewhere on this forum.

This is indeed a bug and has been fixed in BETA 6 (official news is out in another half an hour). We are still not able to reproduce the hang problem though.

Anybody who can give us temporary access to the effected server? This is a sincere request as we are just unable to reproduce this error. We have 10 MySQL servers starting from v3.23.58 to 5.1.6 installed at our end and we are able to connect to them without any problem.

lazylester
      Ritesh wrote on Apr 6 2006, 10:02 PM:
      This is indeed a bug and has been fixed in BETA 6 (official news is out in another half an hour). We are still not able to reproduce the hang problem though.

Anybody who can give us temporary access to the effected server? This is a sincere request as we are just unable to reproduce this error. We have 10 MySQL servers starting from v3.23.58 to 5.1.6 installed at our end and we are able to connect to them without any problem.

Ritesh, I think you may be missing an important piece of information regarding this bug. MySQL is running on my local PC, I don't know how to give you temporary access, it's not a publicly accessible web server. Have you tried using sqlyog locally on one of the servers, not remotely?

Les

peterlaursen
      Participant

I have 2 WinXP installation and two Linux (SuSE 10 and FEDORA 5). On the two Windows I have 5 different MySQL versions (3.23, 4.0, 4.1, 5.0, 5.1) installed. I can connect from local machine to all MySQL's (that is 12 different ones) from SQLyog and SJA installed on local Windows (or WINE). I have 5-6 different SQLyog versions installed on each (from 4.07).

This is not a general problem, but only occuring on some specific systems.

@Les: Could I ask you to try

1) making a completely fresh install (just install once more to another folder and run from here) and see if the problem persists.

2) renaming the sqlyog.ini file. SQLyog will then start building a fresh one.

lazylester
      peterlaursen wrote on Apr 7 2006, 06:02 AM:
      @Les: Could I ask you to try

1) making a completely fresh install (just install once more to another folder and run from here) and see if the problem persists.

2) renaming the sqlyog.ini file. SQLyog will then start building a fresh one.

OK, I tried both of your suggestion, Peter,

the problem persists under both test conditions

You may duplicate my environment by downloading “Instant Rails”. It doesn't “install” in the traditional way but you just copy it to your disk. The evironment is not changed in any way, so it's very low risk. You can delete it when you're done and your machine will be back to the same as before.

lazylester

Peter, Ritesh,

I just noticed that beta 6 is available. I tried it and it can connect OK on the local machine. Perhaps the problem has been solved?

Ritesh

This is very strange. We have made no changes to the connection code except one issue with HTTP Tunneling which sometimes slowed down the processing.

lazylester
      Ritesh wrote on Apr 8 2006, 05:01 AM:
      We have made no changes to the connection code except one issue with HTTP Tunneling which sometimes slowed down the processing.

Ritesh, I was curious about your comment… so I decided to go back and re-install V5.1Beta5, and it's now working! Prior to the installation of beta6, beta5 was “hanging” every time when trying to connect to a local server (although the “test connection” worked).

It may be that the problem still exists in beta6, but the installation process (whether beta5 or beta6) seems to resolve the problem?

stand by for further developments, I guess

lazylester

Next day now (so my computer was rebooted).

beta5 hangs but beta6 (after reinstallation) connects fine. I suppose the key piece of information now is “does beta 6 ever hang”, or has the problem been fixed as a happy but unintentional byproduct of fixing some other problem.

Ritesh

Yes, indeed this strange. Couple of more people had reported the same issue. Let us wait for couple of days so that other people can install and test out BETA 6.

The strange thing is that we are not able to reproduce it at our test servers so kind of difficult to find out 🙁

lazylester
      Ritesh wrote on Apr 9 2006, 09:43 PM:
      The strange thing is that we are not able to reproduce it at our test servers so kind of difficult to find out 🙁

Ritesh, you mention “servers” and I'm wondering if you are connecting from sqlyog running on one server to a tunnel client on another server? If so, this is not the situation in which I see the problem, mysql and sqlyog are running on the same machine when I see the problem, have you tried this?

Suggest you download Instant Rails, as that's what I'm using, that package includes mysql.

Les

Chris Owens

Ritesh,

Hope you got my PM and it helped – Do you still need access to the server?

I just wanted to swing by to say that I've not had SQLyog hang on me since I installed Beta 6. Fingers crossed this was some freaky bug that doesn't re-appear… I'll monitor the situation and let you know if it re-surfaces.

Thanks,

Chris

Ritesh

Yes. I got the PM.

I will be working on it tomorrow. We have BETA 5 code with us. Lets hope that we are able to reproduce the problem. We will be then able to find the issue out.

BETA 6 seems to have solved the issue as another guy confirmed the bug fix too but the interesting thing is that we never changed any code regarding this issue between 5 and 6.

Chris Owens
      Ritesh wrote on Apr 11 2006, 06:44 AM:
      I will be working on it tomorrow. We have BETA 5 code with us. Lets hope that we are able to reproduce the problem. We will be then able to find the issue out.

Hi Ritesh,

Just noticed that the server has been offline for a few days.

Do you still need access?

Ritesh

Nope.

We were able to fix the issue. I guess you are able to connect with v5.1 RC.

Chris Owens

Yes,

I could connect with Beta 6 and RC1.

Thanks,

Chris

Ritesh

Cool 😀

Viewing 36 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.