Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Autocomplete Sometimes Deletes Character Following Cursor

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Autocomplete Sometimes Deletes Character Following Cursor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      smine
      Participant

Using SQLyog Ultimate 8.7 beta 2 on Win XP Pro SP3. Sometimes autocomplete deletes the first character immediately following the cursor. For example, if tbl has two columns named col1 and col2, suppose I type “SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE x=4”. I use cursor to highlight/select “x” then I type “tbl.” to activate autocomplete and choose an entry and press TAB to select that entry. The equal sign is deleted so I end up with “SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE tbl.col14”. (you don't have to highlight/select text, just positioning the cursor in front of an existing character is enough to show this behavior.)

It also happens when listing fields in the SELECT clause. I write SELECT on one line and FROM on the next line. I then move the cursor to just after SELECT and use autocomplete, and the newline is deleted so that FROM moves up to the same line as SELECT. Unfortunately, I cannot replicate this behavior on demand, but it absolutely has happened to me several times, it is quite noticeable.

I'm sorry, I cannot say if this behavior started only in 8.7 releases.

peterlaursen
      Participant

OK .. we will have to try to reproduce this behavior (but next week only).

Aparna

Hi,

Quote:

Sometimes autocomplete deletes the first character immediately following the cursor. For example, if tbl has two columns named col1 and col2, suppose I type “SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE x=4”. I use cursor to highlight/select “x” then I type “tbl.” to activate autocomplete and choose an entry and press TAB to select that entry. The equal sign is deleted so I end up with “SELECT * FROM tbl WHERE tbl.col14”. (you don't have to highlight/select text, just positioning the cursor in front of an existing character is enough to show this behavior.)

The above issue is reproducible in 8.7 beta2.This has already been fixed and it will be available in the next public release.

Quote:
      It also happens when listing fields in the SELECT clause. I write SELECT on one line and FROM on the next line. I then move the cursor to just after SELECT and use autocomplete, and the newline is deleted so that FROM moves up to the same line as SELECT. Unfortunately, I cannot replicate this behavior on demand, but it absolutely has happened to me several times, it is quite noticeable.

This issue is not reproducible at our end in 8.7beta2 Ultimate version. Could you please give us more details on this one?

Regards,

Aparna

smine
      Participant

thanks for the quick fix!

'Aparna' wrote:

This issue is not reproducible at our end in 8.7beta2 Ultimate version. Could you please give us more details on this one?

Regards,

Aparna

sorry, i cannot replicate it on demand. perhaps it is user error.

smine
      Participant

??? i just installed 8.7 final release and this problem has returned!

peterlaursen
      Participant

hmmm .. not good. We will check tomorrow.

smine
      Participant
      'peterlaursen' wrote:

hmmm .. not good. We will check tomorrow.

i have attached a short screen video illustrating the problem. i first uninstalled 8.7RC, then installed 8.7 Final.

vishal.pr

Hi,

This is not an issue. This is how code editor should work. We have followed this behavior from popular IDEs like Visual Studio and Netbeans. When the position of the cursor(**at the time of invoking auto-complete list**) is in the middle of a word, the word is replaced with the selection from the auto-complete list.

However while checking this we found an issue that violates the statement given in bold. It was taking the current cursor position rather than the position when auto-complete list was invoked. Due to this if the user invokes auto-complete list in the beginning of a word and continue typing to locate a match in the list and then make a selection it will replace the word itself.

This issue has been fixed now. If you need the fix urgently, we can provide you a special binary or else you can wait till the next public release which will happen in two days time.

Regards,

Vishal P.R

smine
      Participant
      'vishal.pr' wrote:

When the position of the cursor(**at the time of invoking auto-complete list**) is in the middle of a word, the word is replaced with the selection from the auto-complete list.

However … if the user invokes auto-complete list in the beginning of a word and continue typing to locate a match in the list and then make a selection it will replace the word itself.

This issue has been fixed now. … the next public release … will happen in two days time.

i agree that if cursor is in middle of word then autocomplete should replace word. however, i am experiencing the problem with the cursor at the beginning of a word, as you later describe.

thank you for the fix. it is not urgent, i can wait for the next release.

nithin

SQLyog 8.71 has been released with the fix.

http://www.webyog.com/blog/2010/11/25/sqlyog-mysql-gui-8-71-released/

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.