Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Autocomplete Is Painfully Slow

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Autocomplete Is Painfully Slow

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      smine
      Participant

hi. we have a site license for SQLyog and i think most of our users are running SQLyog 9.x. autocomplete is painfully slow. i've had several people ask me how to turn off autocomplete because they can't stand waiting for it. i have experienced 30-45 second delays when using it. ii might be the first time it accesses a table or something, but i am not sure. i have

is there something unusual about our environment? we have a little over 100 databases with almost 4000 tables, is that too much for autocomplete to handle? in the Tags directory i see a database that has a (2-day old) .db file that is 85,546 KB.

i just tried to show a new user how autocomplete works and (1) it took close to 30 seconds after typing the '.' following a table name and (2) it never showed any suggestions and tab didn't complete anything. it is basically unusable for us.

peterlaursen
      Participant

Please try not to turn off Autocomplete completely, but only the option to “show suggstion as you type in editor”. Please see image. For every database object (table, column or whatever) a row exists in SQLite locally and if this option is on the database will have to be searched for every keystroke. I believe we have optimized this as much as we can with what configuration options SQLite has, using indexes etc.

Another option is not to use *one* connection without database specification but a separate connections for every database (or connections with a few databases). This will create 100 smaller SQLite databases instead of a huge one. 80+ MB is some kind of a database to look through for a match!

[attachment=1573:this.jpg]

smine
      Participant

thanks. i understand what you are saying, but it is unlikely our users will create multiple connections with custom sets of databases. in our environment, this is cumbersome.

turning off “show suggstion as you type in editor” helps a little bit.

one big complaint is when i type “[database_name].[table_name]”. after i type the database name and then the period, SQLyog pauses for a long period of time before presenting the list of table names. it paused for 34 seconds when i just tried this 5 minutes ago. it doesn't seem to happen every time, maybe just the first database_name reference? every time i close/start SQLyog? i am not sure, but it happens frequently enough that people notice and complain to me about it. so i am complaining to you about it .:)

peterlaursen
      Participant

I cannot reply 100% to this now. But SQLite has some caching functionalities, so the speed will depend on whether data are cached or not (ie if disk access is required or not).

peterlaursen
      Participant

But maybe we can arrange that you share the SQLite database for the connection with us, so that we can check if same thing happens here.

However there is one thing more. Do you have a Windows domain-based network where user profiles are stroed on the domain server? In that case there is an option to store SQLite locally. If you don't use this option it will be stored with the user profile (on the server and not locally) and that may be very slow depending on network speed and load.

smine
      Participant
      'peterlaursen' wrote:

However there is one thing more. Do you have a Windows domain-based network where user profiles are stroed on the domain server?

our profiles are stored on each user's local machine.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.