Unsupported Screen Size: The viewport size is too small for the theme to render properly.

Sql Dump Fails To Restore

forums forums SQLyog SQLyog: Bugs / Feature Requests Sql Dump Fails To Restore

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Brian H.

I did a little more testing and discovered that if I do a mysqldump to include the views (and everything else in the D:cool:, the dumpfile is created without errors. If I take that dump file and import it into a NEWly created database with mysql command line tools, it imports correctly, with no errors.

When I then go into SQLyog and try to export the VIEWS from the newly created database, I get the same error as before. Below are the commands I used to test in mysql:

# mysqldump -uuser -p –skip-opt –all –complete-insert mrm>mrmfulltest.sql

(in mysql) CREATE DATABASE exporttest;

# mysql -uuser -p exporttest

smine
      Participant
      • used Backup Database As SQL Dump (Ctrl+Alt+E) and file was created successfully.
      • used Restore From SQL Dump (Ctrl+Shift+Q) and received “Error Code: 1153 – Got a packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet' bytes

Tools>Show>Variables says the export server has max_allowed_packet=1047552 and the import server has max_allowed_packet=1047552. the insert statement that failed is 1091575 bytes long. the longest insert statement in the file is 1177199 bytes.

why would SQLyog create a dump that it cannot restore? i spent hours editing the file to reduce the length of insert statements, and the import worked.

i know you always ask us to send you the file. please not this time, it is 160MB. 😉

smine
      Participant
      nithin wrote on Nov 8 2009, 10:18 PM:
      If you have checked the option “CREATE BULK INSERT STATEMENT” in EXPORT dialog, Can you please export that table by unchecking that Bulk-Insert option?

And please try to import this.

yes, this worked. (well, i think it worked. i don't want to wait 3 hours for the import to finish. it has been running for about 25 minutes with no errors and has passed the earlier point of failure.)

i don't think i deliberately turned on BULK INSERT, i think it was the default, but maybe i am wrong.

peterlaursen
      Participant

You are right: BULK INSERTS is default – for the same performance reason as you mentioned here. Large backups with SINGLE INSERTS are hopeless to restore.

My best guess/theory still is that we calculate column length() client-side and not server-side. The length of a DOUBLE(24.8) with a value of “2.1” would be calculated as 3 bytes long when calculated client-side, but 10 bytes long (“2” + “.” + [8 decimals]) when calculated server-side. For each occurrence of such type in a BULK INSERT statement we will accumulate a calculation error of 7 bytes (if my theory is correct).

But please let developers check this theory of mine tomorrow.

peterlaursen
      Participant

I also want to comment on your extensive use of DOUBLE types. DOUBLE's (and FLOAT's) have significant numerical non-precision. Most often a DECIMAL is a better option if values stored are not in 'microscropical' or 'astronomical' range. For MONEY/CURRENCY and similar data I think a DECIMAL(19,4) is normal recommendation.

FLOATING POINT types in MySQL create problems. Refer to: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/pro…with-float.html

But no excuse for a possible bug in SQLyog of course!

smine
      Participant

good point about problems with DOUBLE. some of our values are monetary, others are conversion factors and ratio values which may benefit from greater precision.

these databases are rather old and pre-date MySQL 5.0.3, so even using DECIMAL back then still would have produced floating point errors.

i will pass along to our designers/architects the information you provided. it's unlikely we will make changes in existing tables, but it may be helpful for new tables.

thanks!

nithin

Hello,

We are analyzing this issue.

Quote:
      it has been running for about 25 minutes with no errors and has passed the earlier point of failure.

You meant to say sql dump with Single Insert is imported fine for 25 mins and you stopped? But we cant tell the 'failure point' is already passed or not, it may fail in any point.

Please clarify this statement of your 1st post

Quote:
      the insert statement that failed is 1091575 bytes long. the longest insert statement in the file is 1177199 bytes.

this size you mentioned is size of single INSERT statement(for single row) or BULK INSERT statement? And How did you get this?

And please do one more thing..We have an option to specify the BULK INSERT size in preference itself, give 500(K) in preference and do EXPORT(with BULK INSERT option checked) and Import the dump.

please see the screen shot how to set this option in preference.

smine
      Participant
      nithin wrote on Nov 9 2009, 11:41 PM:
      You meant to say sql dump with Single Insert is imported fine for 25 mins and you stopped? But we cant tell the 'failure point' is already passed or not, it may fail in any point.

in 25 mins it imported more rows of Single Insert than sets of values with Bulk Insert. it always fails on first Bulk Insert, but with Single Insert it inserted data past all the values in the first Bulk Insert.

Please clarify this statement of your 1st post

this size you mentioned is size of single INSERT statement(for single row) or BULK INSERT statement? And How did you get this?

the size is for Bulk Insert (e.g. insert into (column_list) values (value_list_1),(value_list_2),(value_list_3),…). i opened the dump file in a text editor and moved the cursor to the end of the insert statement. the text editor told me the line length.

And please do one more thing..We have an option to specify the BULK INSERT size in preference itself, give 500(K) in preference and do EXPORT(with BULK INSERT option checked) and Import the dump.

this was successful!

the old setting was “Get server default”. i changed to 500 and did Export with Bulk Insert, then Import. it took about 6 mins for about 350,000 rows (and 9 indexes) in 211 insert statements. the longest insert statement line length in the dump file is about 809000 bytes. total size of dump file about 156700KB.

i didn't know about all of the custom settings. very useful!

nithin

Hello,

There was an issue in calculating the size of INSERT. It was always not considering the length of 1st 'values set' in INSERT statements.

It has been fixed now in this special build. Now you should be able to EXPORT/IMPORT with 'Get Server Default' option checked in Preference. So the failed case must work for you now.

http://www.webyog.com/downloads/betas/not_…/SQLyog82.1.exe

Could you please verify the fix in your environment and let's know the status?

Thanks

Nithin

smine
      Participant
      nithin wrote on Nov 11 2009, 06:20 AM:
      There was an issue in calculating the size of INSERT. … It has been fixed now in this special build. … Could you please verify the fix in your environment and let's know the status?

it works! thank you!

i am curious how you determine how many value sets can fit on a bulk insert statement. using actual data size of export, the lines appear to be able to fit many more sets on each statement. but using max possible lengths of data fields, it seems like there are too many sets on each statement.

nithin

Hello ,

thanks for confirming the fix

Quote:
      how you determine how many value sets can fit on a bulk insert statement

It depends on 'max_allowed_packet' or custom bulk size. Before adding each row values to INSERT we are checking whether it cross the 'max_allowed_packet' size or not. If it crosses we add this to new INSERT statement.

But at-least one value set will be in INSERT statement regardless of this checking.

The size of each row can find using the query..

SELECT LENGTH(`col_1`) + LENGTH(`col_2`) +…..+LENGTH(`col_n`) FROM table;

Instead of query in code we use corresponding MySQL API.

peterlaursen
      Participant

Also note that the character-length and byte-length is not necessarily the same. Non-ascii characters are multibyte in uft8. So the length as displayed in an editor may fool you.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.